Sign in to follow this  
Astrella

Faction Choice

Hi,

so a while back I bought a few X-wing ships, I'm wanting to play the game but keep myself limited to one faction and only buying a small selection of ships. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what faction to pick, based on the following criteria:

* Preferably doesn't "need" cards from other faction ships, and definitely not cards from Epic

* Has diverse playstyles, preferably without having to buy too many different ships for it

Hi,

so a while back I bought a few X-wing ships, I'm wanting to play the game but keep myself limited to one faction and only buying a small selection of ships. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what faction to pick, based on the following criteria:

* Preferably doesn't "need" cards from other faction ships, and definitely not cards from Epic

* Has diverse playstyles, preferably without having to buy too many different ships for it

This is asking a lot more than you probably think it is.

I mean, do you want to play competitively? If so, forget it, you can't do that under these criterion. This is a game where you kinda need to buy one of every expansion to get all the good upgrade cards. With individual expacs being relatively cheap, this isnt so much an issue most of the time. 

Most of the cards in this game are not limited to specific factions. Thus, they can come in any expac for any faction they want and it doesn't matter. Unfortunately for you, it means that to be competitive, you MUST buy certain expacs, none of which are limited to a single faction. 

If you don't want to be competitive then why even ask. Just select a faction, buy it's ships, and go with it. Since you're not trying to make a good squad from the get go, you don't require those specific expacs from other factions to get the good upgrade cards.

Otherwise, in general, i'm afraid what you're asking for isn't possible. I mean, yes, it is possible to build a good squad for relatively cheap without stepping too far out of your faction, but it's not easy, and not many squads lately can do it. First thing to come to mind is 4x TLT Ys. 4 Y-Wings and 2 K-Wing expacs is all you need. Even then, that's still $100 of stuff for a squad that doesnt perform as well as people thinks it does.

I'd recommend focusing on Rebels. Gives you access to many of the top cards (Push the Limit, VI, Lone Wolf, Engine Upgrade, TLTs, Astromechs), and you can still build up some pretty solid squads that can easily compete against any other list in the game without needing to dip into other factions.

You'll be missing out on things like Predator (Kihraxz, Defender), Tactician (Phantom), Mangler Cannon (Scyk, Aggressor), Crackshot (Kihraxz and Hound's Tooth) and Autothrusters (StarViper), but overall you'll be in a really good position.

Edited by PhantomFO

Rebels and Scum tend to share a lot of ships and upgrade types so you can choose one of them (probably Rebels) and invest a little bit in the other and have decent selections available for both factions.  Example: focus on rebels, pick up the Most Wanted expansion (basically the core set for scum and villainy) and a star viper expansion, and you have most of the highly desirable upgrades you would really need for either faction as well as a variety of ships that work in both factions

You should pick the forces of law and order no one likes terrorists and criminals, join the side of good join the empire.

No one likes fascism apologists.

Let me rephrase that for you:

Rebel scums sparked incessant chaos and offered an illusion of freedom across the galaxy. The Imperial is striving to maintain peace and order. Enlist with the imperials today and become the hero you are meant to be. We. Need. You.

You should pick the forces of law and order no one likes terrorists and criminals, join the side of good join the empire.

Rebel scums sparked incessant chaos and offered an illusion of freedom across the galaxy. The Imperial is striving to maintain peace and order. Enlist with the imperials today and become the hero you are meant to be. We. Need. You.

Ha! The only "peace" the empire offers is the peace of the grave, and for the empire "order" is merely a fancy word for oppression!

Every faction has at least 1 powerful upgrade and a few more decent upgrades that can only be found with their ships. Likewise, every faction will lack at least a few powerful upgrades that are availble to one or both of the other factions.

Imperial (inc both Core Sets, not inc faction specific & turrets):

Exclusives: Swarm Tactics, Squad Leader, Daredevil, Navigator, Flight Instructor, Anti Pursuit Lasers, Sensor Jammer, Proton Bombs, Adreneline Rush, Opportunist, Tactical Jammers, Intimidation, Tactician, Juke, Comm Relay, XX-23 Thread Tracers, Long Ranged Scanners

Lacks: Saboteur, Lone Wolf, Stay On Target, Andrasta, Autoblaster, Engine Upgrade, Wingman, Decoy, Experimental Interface

Rebels (inc Most Wanted, both Core Sets, not inc faction specific & astromechs):

Exclusives: Draw Their Fire, Countermeasures, Twin Laser Turret, Connor Net, Cool Hand, Dorsal Turret, Reinforced Deflectors

Lacks: Stealth Device, Ion Torpedoes, Proximity Mines, Seismic Charges, Expose, Guidance Chips, Tractor Beam, Crackshot

Scum (Inc Y-Wing, Slave 1, HWK-290 & Z-95 Headhunter, not inc faction specific, tech, illict upgrades & salvaged astromechs):

Exclusives: Calculation, Accuracy Corrector, Autothrusters, Flechette Cannon, "Mangler" Cannon, Ion Projector, Lightning Reflexes, Adaptability, Electronic Baffle, Rage

Lacks: Adv. Proton Torpedoes, Weapons Engineer, Concussion Missiles, Expert Handling, Deadeye, Elusiveness, Advanced Sensors, Fire Control System, Push The Limits, Shield Upgrade, Flechette Torpedoes, Outmaneuver, Stygium Particle Accelerator, Proton Rockets, Enhanced Scopes, Extra Munitions, Cluster Mines, Ion Bombs

Ha! The only "peace" the empire offers is the peace of the grave, and for the empire "order" is merely a fancy word for oppression!

Who knew an X-Wing forum discussion would turn into a Republican vs. Democrats "discussion"...

Who knew an X-Wing forum discussion would turn into a Republican vs. Democrats "discussion"...

For the record I made the imperial campaign as a comical relief, but I guess some people take it more seriously than I expected :/

Yeah that's not apologetics no where have I justified anything nor made excuses that's just an opinion.

This is apologetics:

The empire is the legitimate government the Senate cheered its formation, so by definition it's on the side of the law, and clearly most humans viewed it as good as the rebellion was tiny and took 20 years to form.

See the difference?

You could, of course, pick a Faction you're happy with, then any upgrade cards you can't get, by off eBay or one of the online shops that sell bits and pieces off (Blue Rat comes to mind)

For the record I made the imperial campaign as a comical relief, but I guess some people take it more seriously than I expected :/

LOL! I'm not taking it seriously, just playing along. :)

LOL! I'm not taking it seriously, I'm just playing along. :)

Democrats and Republicans would both fall under the Empire I'm affraid.

Does anyone else feel like the Empire has a lot more ships that don't get used often or aren't considered competitive for one reason or another? Examples: Defender (too expensive), TIE Advanced (if you don't buy the Raider, its just not good), TIE Bombers (ordnance isn't great and bombs are meh), TIE Punisher (same as Bomber, but more expensive). I'm new to the game so I could be missing something, but it seems like most Rebel ships have a place on the board; even the E-Wing and K-Wing aces get some love. 

I guess that's why FFG decided to develop and release Imperial Veterans. At least it'll potentially 'fix' the Defender and bring us some good pilot options for the Bomber. 

Yeah that's not apologetics no where have I justified anything nor made excuses that's just an opinion.

This is apologetics:

The third reich was the legitimate government the Senate cheered its formation, so by definition it's on the side of the law, and clearly most goyim viewed it as good.

See the difference?

huh

Does anyone else feel like the Empire has a lot more ships that don't get used often or aren't considered competitive for one reason or another? Examples: Defender (too expensive), TIE Advanced (if you don't buy the Raider, its just not good), TIE Bombers (ordnance isn't great and bombs are meh), TIE Punisher (same as Bomber, but more expensive). I'm new to the game so I could be missing something, but it seems like most Rebel ships have a place on the board; even the E-Wing and K-Wing aces get some love. 

I guess that's why FFG decided to develop and release Imperial Veterans. At least it'll potentially 'fix' the Defender and bring us some good pilot options for the Bomber. 

The generic defender pilots will benefit from the IV expansion, but even without the fixes, Rexler and Vessery are already beasts on their own. It's Similar to how Corran is great but the rests aren't worth your dime.

The game looks as if it's favoring the rebels slightly (OH YES THEY DO), but it's just that the Imperials have higher learning curve in the beginning. On competitive scene both factions have an equal chance of winning, notwithstanding the fact that the three-time world champion is a Jedi.