Sign in to follow this  
JRMan

New (casual) Player - is VSD Expansion worthwhile?

Just started Armada. Right now I have extra CR90, Neb and Gladiator. Imperials are a bit behind so I was considering buying a second VSD but it seems with the ISD out that it has fallen out of favor. I can proxy cards, so if the upgrades are the only reason I will probably pass. Is it worth buying for the ship itself, or should I just go second Gladiator?

Edited by JRMan

VSDs have their place. If you don't have a Gladiator or Imperial-class Star Destroyer just yet, though, I'd prioritize those first.

Being able to proxy cards is helpful in the short-term but acquiring the cards in a legal format for FFG competitive events will be necessary sooner or later if you're interested in those.

Having just jumped off the 3 Vic carry build band wagon I can attest they are solid ships that need to be used very well to get the most reward.

It's all about speed and turning with them, that front battery of red/black is just disgustingly good...I took an Imp 2 from full health to 2 HP in a single turn...

Yet it all requires finesse.

Oh and it is the only box that has flight controllers...and motti... 

I'm a new player and am building out an imperial list as well... I'm probably going to pick up this expansion if for nothing else the cards that come with it... with an eye on Intel officer... I think the way FFG has structured the expansions, you end up buying ships you don't want or need just for the cards... looking at you nebs for xi7...

No Idea why everyone doesn't like the VSD.  I just took the spring kit with the following list.  They can do incredible things and are extremely underestimated to many an opponents demise.  Really fun list.  I ran it in a squadron heavy meta so.  It beat an Ackbar no squadrons and a fireball list.  The Ackbar list  9-1(contested outpost) and the fireball i beat 7-3(most wanted). 3 games and i got 26 points. third list was a CR-90 swarm TRC etc. 10-0(most wanted).  I felt bad for that guy. I'll need to get a report up but here is the list.

Imperial Wedge - 391

ISD 1 - Tractor

VSD 1 - Tractor

VSD 1 - Tractor

VSD 1 - Tractor

Tarkin

Objectives - Most wanted, contested outpost, minefields

I put Tarkin on a Vic and most people chose most wanted so I chose another vic.  This list has difficult target priority for the opponent because most wanted is easily the best to fight against this but then do you kill the ISD, Tarkin or the double point vic.  Fireball killed the double point vic and that was what made it a 7-3 not an 8-2.  Tarkin just engineering tokens while the ships spam engineering commands for 6 engineering a turn. Each ship that way regens its front shields to full every game, ISD can get all but 1.  Gives them more life than motti and the tractors doesn't let anyone get away (poor CR90's). ISD is the only ship that can easily counter this but I want to get close too and I have 4 ships to the usual 1 or 2 ISD.  Fireball lost cause it was ISD GLad Glad and i killed the ISD by turn 3 and a glad in turn 5.  other glad ran -.-

Anyways VSD are awesome but there are easier ships to use.  Tractor beam is kinda a mandatory card on them so they can catch things(and they need multiples, I had 4 and it was always just enough)

The VSD still has a place !

Not only it has amazing tank for its point, but it's probably the most flexible ship in the Imperials' arsenal in my opinion. You can build it as a carrier, and off carrier, an Ion ship, a missile ship to hunt for the bigger targets. Compare this to an ISD which I think is less efficient without managing 4 to 5 squadrons regardless of which variant and build.

Taking down a VSD still requires dedicated concentrated fire, which doesn't shoot at other things in your list.

Speed 3 on an ISD is not as big of an advantage as one might think. At least I haven't found the VSD's Speed 2 to be a disadvantage. Sure, I won't chase Ackbar lists down, but if I did that in an ISD it would probably blow up as well. An ISD is just as easy to dodge as is a VSD when you have small nimble ships.

On top of that, you get some pretty cool cards with the VSD ! Flight Controllers is great, another copy of Intel Officer is always nice as well.

If you are playing casually (even if you're not, to be honest) then any expansion if worthwhile if you would like to fly that kind of ship. Similarly, if a particular ship really doesn't flip your switch, then there is no such thing as a "must-buy". I would certainly not recommend buying an expansion just for one or two upgrade cards - buy it for the ship instead.

As for the Victory itself, I personally hate the ship. Leaving its effectiveness aside for the moment, I just don't enjoy flying them. They're so slow and clunky I just get frustrated. However, if you enjoy flying with the one from the core set, then you'll probably get the use out of a second.

Though, if you're not sure, I would definitely recommend the Gladiator and the Imperial over and above the Victory, as Snipafist has suggested above. These two ships are tremendous fun to scoot around the field, and there is absolutely no question about their effectiveness.

The VSD is a solid choice, but you already own one from the core set. You said you would proxy cards in casual games, so acquiring cards is not an argument either. I would consider myself a casual gamer as well, as I dont see play that regularly unfortunately. Therefore, I can only encourage you to buy in on an ISD, as they bring a lot of new flavour to your table. They fly different, they imtimidate by sheer size and are by far the greater addition to your game. 

Again, I am not saying the VSD is bad. But a second VSD does nothing your first one cant do on the table, and with the limited choice of options available to you (or your opponents, I assume) min-maxing lists are nothing to draw fun of. Get the new shiny stuff, ships that bring something to your table which you dont have at your disposal at this moment. 

The Victory is very underrated somewhat.  They're more Solid than a Gladiator, have a decent battery of dice, and make great Carrier platforms for Bomber Wings or Fighter Screens...

A 2nd VSD is worth it, not only for Motti, Intel Officer, but Flight Controllers.

The VSD 1 is still one of the best carrier platforms.

As with everything I'm this game it comes down to skill level. The VSD is one of the more unforgiving ships when it comes to navigation. This means that most of your commands need to be Navigate. This is because you need to know where to jump forward into a gap and when to slow down. You need to know ow when to slow and sharp turn and when to speed up and wide turn.

Sure they are slow but if you can predict where someone will be they can work wonders for you.

I like the VSD-II and I am currently experimenting with one kitted out with Navigation Officer, Gunnery Team and Xi-7 Turbo Lasers. It is a solid platform with 8 hull, has great forward firepower for the cost and with navigate commands, turns as well as an MC-80.

It's accompanied by an ISD-II, a Raider-I and 5 squadrons.

Vader is the admiral and the list has serious punch.

Do I think you need 2 of them, no, unless you want the cards. I'd either fly one or three as two just doesn't synergize well in lists.

Occasionally I'll use two VSD-IIs to flank my ISD-II as the basis of a list.

VSDs suffer from two problems: Speed, and vulnerability to Accuracy + XI7s. They aren't as flexible as the Assault Frigates, which is a little disappointing, but they aren't so tricky to use that they aren't as unworkable as the Raider can be when flying casually.

My favorite tactic with the Victory 1...run then of them...use one as a meat shield that rams and throws off as many dice as possible before it dies...whilst the other two try and circle and kill other things.

Victory's run great when they are squadron heavy...I'm refining my fun with the carrier build more and more and I can assure you black dice = fun.

I might even run 3 victories pimped out as missile spammers...see where that rolls. I once dropped 10 damage on an ISD with the front battery alone.

Me and my father started playing the other week, and as the empire I had The ISD, VSD, a Gladiator, and a few villains and tie fighters. He was using Home One, The assault Frigate Mark 2, MC30C, and heros and X-Wings, and i got whooped big time. We were doing a 400 Point game, without upgrades as were still getting use to the mechanics. So i decided to go buy a second VSD and got the raider as well, and the second VSD made a difference for me. At the end of the second game i still had my ISD and 1 of my VSD. So from one beginner to another, if you have the funds to do it, i would go for it.