Sign in to follow this  
X Wing Nut

New ship coming soon

Overall I think the vibe around Rebels being a source for next wave hardware might be spot on. 

If you don't watch Rebels, you should. It is well done. 

Were I in FFGs shoes you really have 3 choices. 

1) Force Awakes

Con: wasn't a crazy amount of new capital ships to choose from. Can't imagine FFG would be allowed to base a wave on ships for a future movie that isn't even near to out yet. Based on this alone I don't think this is the next wave

2) Rebels

Pro: Has a good following, well done 

Pro/Con:  Not far from the current time line of hardware in use in Armada

3) Ep IV, V, VI

Pro: Known territory

Con: While I want a super star destroyer like everyone else, there are some interesting challenges there, not to mention are there really that many ships left and enough to make a wave?

Not considered

Episode I, II, III : Would FFG really Jar Jar themselves? 

In all the grousing for an announcement I think another factor is just how much design and play testing time MUST go into a wave. There's a crap ton of possibilities to check out there and personally it feels like FFG puts a bunch of effort to avoid breaking the game through a poor choice. That takes time. To make an announcement is to make a commitment that the things are pretty far along for all that must be done. She feels like she's holding together pretty well so far balance wise to me. 

Hear that baby... hold together.

Random thought regarding the idea of multiple expanded hangers: it could be interesting to have a title that allows you to take 2 expanded hangers (or just increases the squadron rating by 1 itself). This would also mean that you could set the squadron rating at something lower, and know that whilst a player could boost it up fairly high, that couldn't do so on multiple ships.

Not considered

Rebels has included clone wars ships time and time again, the mouse approved material coming out has clone wars ships serving on into the reign of the empire. 

I think Tarkin is a great novel that underlines just how the Empire really is...they don't toss good ships they just regulate them to second line duties. Hell you've seen the same treatment with the Victory. 

The Venator is a clear front runner in a Imperial wave...it's a straight up carrier that can brawl like a boss...something the empire sorely needs. 

Random thought regarding the idea of multiple expanded hangers: it could be interesting to have a title that allows you to take 2 expanded hangers (or just increases the squadron rating by 1 itself). This would also mean that you could set the squadron rating at something lower, and know that whilst a player could boost it up fairly high, that couldn't do so on multiple ships.

Titles.

from the way it preformed in the show

it needs 4 anti fighter dice,1 black for anti ship all facing, 6 squad rating,speed 3

4 hull 2 shields all all for about about 50 points used for both sides empire and rebel forces.

just my out look on it. :)

Say goodbye to every TIE Squadron in one blast ever? There's a reason AA ratings don't go over 2, because then it would be possible to one-shot entire TIE Squadrons in one activation with a starship. All it would need is Point Defense re-route to cover any crits, and now you're scoring assured hits. TIE fighters and Interceptors would never be taken again while there's risk of this thing on the table. Especially when there's no reason to attack starships with such a pathetic battery rating. So, no, frankly that idea is absurd. Sorry.

I do have a wonder though; would this be an Imperial ship, or a Rebel one? It's showing up in the Rebel fleet and that's where it will feature, but it debuted as an Imperial ship, and it's very clearly Imperial-styled. The ship is more visually interesting (and as of now, actually more canonical) than the Ton-Falk carriers that I like too because of their simplicity. I think if Armada decides to make carriers a thing, there's the case for making the Quasar-Fire into a ship with a high fighter command and cheap on points, with little ability to protect itself.

We do have some kind of precedent with the Lambda shuttle. That's clearly an Imperial ship and in X-Wing it's in the Imperial faction, even though the best known Lambda is the Tydirium, under Rebel control.

I think 6 blue dice is absolutely overkill, but I could see 3 AA dice being possible. But it'd have to be mostly black dice and likely have a major Achilles Heel like nearly no ship to ship dice.

I'd love a pure carrier with a squad rating of over 4 naturally no matter it's other ratings. Something powerful, but absolutely vulnerable to flanking corvettes without it's squadron support nevermind a battleship.

I personally think that we might see the Resurgent Class aka the Finalizer fill in as a carrier and a possible fillin for a SSD, let me explain. The Resurgent Class was designed to be superior to the Imperial Class in every way, shape, and form. It's already been noted that it is based off both the Imp Class and the Venator. With it having two full wings of Special Forces Ties and two wings of regular Ties. It should also be be noted that one Resurgent Class carries around 3,000 guns completely outguning the Imperial Class and being around 2,000 guns less than a SSD. So personally I think that will be seeing the Resurgent Class before a SSD. Now I'm not trying to start a separate debate or argument, I was wanted to put out my opinion and personally I would love to see the Carrier for both the Rebels and Imperial side but I feel that FFG is going to have to appease the Dark Lord of the Sith Mickey Mouse and release the Resurgent Class within either Wave 3 or 4. I can't think of any other reason for why FFG has kept such a embargo on Wave 3 news unless it involves TFA and they are waiting for the movie to come out on DVD in March. Again this is just my opinion and I'm not trying to spark a debate or argument.

Overall I think the vibe around Rebels being a source for next wave hardware might be spot on. 

1) Force Awakes

Con: wasn't a crazy amount of new capital ships to choose from. Can't imagine FFG would be allowed to base a wave on ships for a future movie that isn't even near to out yet. Based on this alone I don't think this is the next wave

2) Rebels

3) Ep IV, V, VI

Con: While I want a super star destroyer like everyone else, there are some interesting challenges there, not to mention are there really that many ships left and enough to make a wave?

Not considered

In all the grousing for an announcement I think another factor is just how much design and play testing time MUST go into a wave. There's a crap ton of possibilities to check out there and personally it feels like FFG puts a bunch of effort to avoid breaking the game through a poor choice. That takes time. To make an announcement is to make a commitment that the things are pretty far along for all that must be done. She feels like she's holding together pretty well so far balance wise to me. 

you forgot the 90's computer game Rebellion witch FFG just made into a board game ;)

Give my Liberty-class or give me death!

And also give me imperial CR90s and Nebulons or give me death!

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. ;P

Wouldn't you like to have the Viscount Class Star Defender instead?

That thing was made to counter the Executor-class. I think both are so huge in both size and sheer firepower, that they would be near impossible to depict them reasonably in Armada. Like, if an ISD2 has 4 red 4 blue dice on its front arc, the Exec should have like 40 each. Even if FFG scales down the Exec very, very much, like, to be only 3 times the size and power of an ISD, it would still have 20+ dices firing forward. That would literally oneshot everything.

Whilst we're talking about ships...can I get an Imperial Venator? 

Seconded! :D

Is that the same show where a single B-wing prototype destroyed like an entire imperial cruiser by itself in 1 shot?

Light cruiser. Basically a slightly scaled up corvette (the tail engines are those of the corvette from TPM).

And the B-wing had a kind of mini-superlaser to take the shot with - a combined-beam weapon.

It may look like an imperial vessel but started life as a transport ship. Anyone who read one of the old books truce at bakura will recognise it as it was the main ship in the task force and hold a special place in my heart for what happened to it, would love to see it on the table but it will be over costed due to the amount of fighters it could bring and how fragile it is

Okay... the Viscount and SSD are a little big.... BUT VERY COOL!  After doing research on the rebel/republic ships I love the look of these and would love to see these in the game ;)

Strident Class Star Defender

Nebula Class Star Defender

Edited by Black Griffon 1

Force Awakens will be out for digital release soon and I'm sure someone will do some digital magnification magic to show just what Republic ships were blown to bits.

1) Force Awakes

2) Rebels

3) Ep IV, V, VI

Not considered

I think they'll keep using Legends ships for a while. So far most of the Legends capital ships that have transitioned to cannon but not already appeared in Armada have been mainly used by the Empire in Legends, and are used by the Empire or fairly equally by both ides in canon (I believe so far we have only seen two Carrack class Light Cruisers in canon with one per side but in Legends most Carracks were either Imperial or Old Republic ships.)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Gozanti as a new wave ship. Ship size doesn't mean much with a sliding scale, so they could put it out the same size as the CR-90 or Raider. Give it 1 TIE squad, and one each of the blue, black, and red dice? Make it a small, fast, highly mobile harasser?

The DP20 Gunship (or FFG's take on one) is probably a give-me as well. Though to be fair, we should keep in mind that the more ships there are in an action, the more the game will bog down, unless they are eggshell ships that fight hard and die quickly. Long opening turns of vicious combat that quickly thin the herds, so to speak. And granted, while this could add some excitement to the game, I also see it as an easy way to pad point scores just for the sake of padding point scores (and selling mini's).

Also, as they are always working on new mechanics, we might eventually see aspects such as the GR-75 for support (ships that provide your fleet with a negative to your total points per unit taken, but score double if destroyed by the enemy?), fire control (the Gozanti could fill this role as well, allowing other ships to fire as if they were at the F/C vessels range?), etc. The Immobilizer, given the ability to negate the "turns" and extend an action through to either its own destruction or the total annihilation of the enemy, could totally change the face of the game.

Just some thoughts.