Sign in to follow this  
Luke Licens

AckbarBQ

I have a dumb idea, but I'd like you all to explain to me why it's a dumb idea.

9xCorvette Bs with Ackbar. You can toss 18 red dice at long range from a broadside, or 18 red and 18 blue at medium range.  No obvious target priority other than the Fishman himself. Please discuss.

For the most part, its been looked at by a lot of people, and then kind of put aside.

Mostly because what you do with Ackbar at one ship, you can do simply by having your Broadside+Nose at the enemy.

At which point, you decide to do that, and take Mon-Mothma at an 8 point discount for greater Survivability.

Its not a bad idea by any stretch of the imagination - but the only way you can get it to work better for you than just "normal" is if you are intentionally positioning yourself to be able to fire Red Dice at two ships, one from each Broadside, at the same time.

Which generally means you're within range of 2 ships, and you're going to get smacked next turn, and really wish that there was a different admiral or upgrade to help...

EDIT:

And as said Below - You have to be in Medium Range to have a dice pool, before you can add Ackbar to it.

I misread and didn't see the "B" part.  My post above is under the assumption you are using Corvette "A"s

Edited by Drasnighta

I have a dumb idea, but I'd like you all to explain to me why it's a dumb idea.

9xCorvette Bs with Ackbar. You can toss 18 red dice at long range from a broadside, or 18 red and 18 blue at medium range.  No obvious target priority other than the Fishman himself. Please discuss.

Ackbar requires you to add dice to your pool, which at long range the CR90B has no dice. So you can't take advantage of Ackbar at long range.

The Arcs are against you to some degree, you just don't have the side arcs like the MC80 or AF. Your front arc is considerable, and your maneuverability is good, better with Engine Techs a II-II as your last two moves is a 90 degree turn at speed 3+ yikes!

Now where you to look at Mon Montha and 8 Corvettes A's with TRC's you'll find some traction or Perhaps MM with 8 Corvettes B's and SW-7's. I am fairly sure draco193 has it right you take your pool of blue dice, and at red dice range as you have no dice in your pool the attack fails and you have to pick another target. You don't add dice to your pool until after the dice are rolled in the end of step 1.

I also think MM is the better choice for "Vette Spam as you have redundant evades.