Sign in to follow this  
Chief Hugh

What direction is FFG headed? Trillogy of TFA

FFG has said repeatedly that they have no intention of adding the Clone Wars/Prequel era into this game.

I see this stated a lot, but never with an attributed official quote from FFG. If you can you provide one, I'll be satisfied. As an aside, I still advocate a separate but cross-compatible Clone Wars Miniatures Game, not just adding prequel ships to X-Wing.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/114870-no-prequel-ships-settled/

"We're not planning on integrating anything per se in the style of, for example, the Clone Wars cartoon, but with that said, vehicles, characters, storylines, etc that came out of that, those cartoons are part of Star Wars IP [intellectual Property license] in general, and I can't speak whether some of those ships that are shown today were maybe in the cartoon.  I haven't seen them all, so there may be things where you sort of say, ah! that's from the cartoon, they're looking at the cartoon.

More generally we're looking at the sort of game as it is, the Galactic Civil War going way forward, and we're going to try to, we have a significant amount of content, and we're going to throw in some new content with the new cartoon set in that era.  We would not ever put out a product I think that would like the cartoon characters which has this very unique kind of look and stylization to them, but obviously we're thrilled if there was some awesome new type of starfighter that was revealed to us in the Rebels TV show, for example, we would take a very hard look at trying to integrate that into our future plans."

While that doesn't mean we won't get anything else that appeared in that era (we did get the Hounds Tooth after all but it didn't originate from those stories) it's pretty much a given there will be nothing widespread. The factions alone are troublesome. Separatists and the Republic aren't coming to X-Wing. You would need some type of additional storyline to pull most things from that era and have it fit. Scum seems the best candidate but again, what are you bringing in?

Interestingly enough we now have the Gozanti and the Ghost and TAP are due out within weeks. This is a year and a half from the time he made those comments (which were also approximately 2 months before the show premiered. 17 months from debut on TV to when you have the Ghost in the game is pretty substantial. That is a bit of an indicator as to just how long it can take from the time you see a ship on TV until it's in your hands.  

I still think they should just do lightside and darkside factions. With respective subfactions.

Lightside would be rebels, resistance, and republic.

Darkside would be empire, first order, and separatists.

Several star wars mobile games already do this so they can use content from all eras.

$$$$$$

They are going to keep making stuff, and we will keep buying. 

Exactly ... as long as we continue to see value in it. If we continue seeing new ships, interesting upgrades, clever 'fixes', etc, a majority won't care where the ship came from (OT, TFA, Rebels, Rogue One, EpVIII, FFG's imagination, etc)

The minute we see simple repaints packaged with 'must have' cards there will be rioting in the streets. Actually .. we have the Aces packs which are exactly that!? Hmmm .. 

I predict what they're actually going to do in the near future will be:

TIE/sf

Havoc

Other than that, I couldn't even begin to guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some prequel ships sprinkled into the upcoming waves, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we got an entire wave of prequel ships. Other than perhaps eating their words, I can't see how this would be a bad move for FFG. It wouldn't be the first time they've reversed a decision for the betterment of the game.

Popularity wise, there's plenty of love for prequel ship design, if not prequel storytelling. EU apathy (or even hate) hasn't been a barrier to the popularity of EU ships in this game.

I trust that any ship can be made useful, because they're just made of cardboard, plastic and ideas -- all highly malleable from a game designer's perspective.

Prequel factions shouldn't a problem. If FFG wanted to introduce Separatist ships, they'd probably just make Separatists a subfaction of Scum. We already have a subfaction framework for that, and it's already being used for Rebels and Imperials in a similar way with new trilogy ships. It could work backward just the same. New subfactions could be Jedi Order (Rebels), Sith (Imperials), Galactic Republic (Rebels/Imperials shared subfaction?) or whatever makes the most sense for the ships they want to introduce.

You don't need a lot of ships in a subfaction to make it viable. We'll probably have just the one Resistance ship for a while.

Character wise, it's no weirder to have Ani Skywalker in an N-1 fighting alongside Biggs Darklighter than it is to have Poe Dameron fighting alongside Kanan Jarrus, or to Boba my Boba before I Boba your Boba. This is a game of "what if" dogfights in the Star Wars universe. Bring on the Ebon Hawk. Give us a Consular-class cruiser. A Belbullab-22 would look great supported by a psychic swarm of Scyks.

Edited by DagobahDave

gotta be something for scum.  the only other TFA ships i can recall are the one that gets blown skyhigh on Jakku, (Quadjumper?) and the Death Gang freighter that docks with Hans bulk carrier.  either of those might do the trick.

The Quadjumper is a tugboat. According to Wookieepeida 8meters, 1 crew with room for 2 passengers. Unarmed, basically just 4 engines, arranged round fuel tank, cramped cockpit with 3 seats, cramped crew bunk. On the outside freight cranes and clamps.

Unclear if hyperdrive, article states use by smugglers.

I would really LOVE to have tugboats in the game for scenarios.

But I doubt we will get Quadjumpers. Maybe as an armored converted build for rebels or S&V.

A modified Quadjumper with combat worthy engines, concelaled hyperdrive and armament could actually make sense for a pirate. Inconspicuous, and at the same time you just take a container from the freighter you so conveniently just raided.

With Rebels, Rogue One, EpVIII, etc. Surely there'd be enough ships to satisfy future waves. Yeah TFA lacked a lot of options in the ship department but even that was enough to spawn a whole new core set and expansions.

The only problem is (based on TFA) Disney keeps everything under their hat until an agreed upon release date. Who remembers the bum-rush that was 'Force Friday'? This might screw up FFG's release schedule as A) they may have to adhere to Disney's restrictions and B) they may not get access to the IP until the film is nearing release. Therefore, FFG's releases may not align with the film's release.

The FFG TFA releases were all seen in the preview (T-70, TIE) prior to the release of the film and/or associated merch.

I can only speculate as to whether or not FFG brings in enough cash to Disney to warrant Disney providing FFG with details of upcoming releases. Lego and Hasbro yeah .. FFG .. I'm not sure.

In short. I'm sure there'll be plenty of material in upcoming films/shows.

I think X Wing is going to need a 2.0 version fairly soon.

I suspect that this is what we will see in the near future. Then I expect FFG to let their licence lapse at the end of their contract because I really don't expect them to be able to maintain this kind of steam for a decade or more.

I think X Wing is going to need a 2.0 version fairly soon.

I suspect that this is what we will see in the near future. Then I expect FFG to let their licence lapse at the end of their contract because I really don't expect them to be able to maintain this kind of steam for a decade or more.

The signs of a reboot tends to be fairly clear. Also, lol at FFG getting rid of the license. They just worked out a deal to do board games. They ain't letting it go. 

I still think they should just do lightside and darkside factions. With respective subfactions.

Lightside would be rebels, resistance, and republic.

Darkside would be empire, first order, and separatists.

Several star wars mobile games already do this so they can use content from all eras.

But the Republic turns into the Empire, and the Empire Destroys the Seperatists so....

The signs of a reboot tends to be fairly clear. Also, lol at FFG getting rid of the license. They just worked out a deal to do board games. They ain't letting it go.

I'm not privvy to the specifics of their licence deals, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that board games and X Wing fall under separate licences. FFG recently renewed their X Wing licence which suggests to me that it was a short one. Five years, at a guess.

As it stands, they've already just about completely mined out the rich vein of Star Wars lore for X Wing. There's not much left there. At the end of this licence, in say another four years, I would not expect FFG to be able to replicate the performance of their X Wing line. All the ships are already released, how can then then guarantee to Disney that they can replicate those results? They won't. And Disney will take the licence to someone who offers an entire new product and who can generate the sort of profits Disney are used to seeing from the current X Wing boom.

Expect new B&W X-WINGS, and a new R-1 Firespray, and the remaining cool ships (all three of 'em) from the incredibly disappointing TFA movie... Who knows after that.

:lol:

REB%252520YT-1300%252520NDV.png    IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png    IMP%252520TIE%252520FO%2525201%252520FIG    (& Maybe)   IMP%252520FO%252520TRANS.png

Highlighted the important ones. 

Well since Disney is putting out a new Star Wars Movie you can count on some new ships to come from that and not the old EU that has been tossed aside if they were not in X-wing. As for TFA well they can still do a couple of ships from that last movie but obviously not much. Depends if the new movie will have more.

Well since Disney is putting out a new Star Wars Movie you can count on some new ships to come from that and not the old EU that has been tossed aside if they were not in X-wing. 

Why do fans keep spouting this nonsense? The Punishing One and Mist Hunter expansions are based entirely on old EU material. It's pretty clear that neither Lucasfilm/Disney nor Fantasy Flight Games have a problem with old EU content in X-Wing. 

Edited by WingedSpider

Well since Disney is putting out a new Star Wars Movie you can count on some new ships to come from that and not the old EU that has been tossed aside if they were not in X-wing.

Why do fans keep spouting this nonsense? The Punishing One and Mist Hunter expansions are based entirely on old EU material. It's pretty clear that neither Lucasfilm/Disney nor Fantasy Flight Games have a problem with old EU content in X-Wing.

It doesn't have to be nonsense; these ships have been in development for a long time, maybe since a period when there were no clear plans yet about what the TFA ships would look like exactly. This might be the last wave of ships from the old EU. But it's really hard to tell.

Expect new B&W X-WINGS, and a new R-1 Firespray, and the remaining cool ships (all three of 'em) from the incredibly disappointing TFA movie... Who knows after that.

:lol:

REB%252520YT-1300%252520NDV.png    IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png    IMP%252520TIE%252520FO%2525201%252520FIG    (& Maybe)   IMP%252520FO%252520TRANS.png

Highlighted the important ones. 

Well since Disney is putting out a new Star Wars Movie you can count on some new ships to come from that and not the old EU that has been tossed aside if they were not in X-wing. As for TFA well they can still do a couple of ships from that last movie but obviously not much. Depends if the new movie will have more.

Yeah that is why I got the recent Hutt model from Shapeways. I think EU ships are going to be very very limited in the future.

The had to finish up the Bounty Hunters.

;)

Well most of the ships in Rebels and Imps are canon - for Rebels the E-Wing and K-Wing aren't, for Imps the Phantom and Punisher aren't (the Raider is in a strange spot - considering when it was developed it could be canon.) Scum have the most non-canon ships with only the Firespray and YV-666 being the 2 exceptions.

For new movie ships, I expect between 2 to 4 new ships per year introduced in movie canon per year from each movie. The following is my list of small and large ships (but not huge) from each movie (Special Editions have 1 entry)

ANH - [5] X-wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Advanced, YT-1300

TESB - [2] TIE Bomber, Firespray-31

ROTJ - [4] A-Wing, B-Wing, TIE Interceptor, Lambda T-4a

SE Trilogy - [2] Sentinel, YT-2400

TPM - [3+2] N-1, Star Courier, Vulture [unarmed/Civilian]: J-type 327, Sheathipede

AOTC - [2+4] Delta-7 Aethersprite, Nantex [unarmed/Civilian]: Taylander shuttle, H-type yacht, J-type diplomatic barge, Punworcca 116
ROTS - [9] J-type star skiff, Theta T-2c, ARC-170, Alpha-3 Nimbus V-wing, Belbullab-22, Eta-2 Actis, Mankvim-814, Porax-38, Tri-fighter
TFA - [6+1] Upsilon, TIE/fo, TIE/sf, T-70 X-wing, Atmospheric Assault Lander, Resistance transport [unarmed/Civilian]: Quadrijet

I expect other sources (Rebels, games, novels, short stories, comics etc)  to contribute more to the canon pool than movies however.