Sign in to follow this  
Chief Hugh

What direction is FFG headed? Trillogy of TFA

Just wondering where everyone thinks FFG is going with their future products. Are we going to see equal amounts of ships from the very different Era's or as the new movies come out will FFG shift to more TFA themed expansions. Star Wars Rebels has seen a lot of attention from FFG but who knows how long that will remain. My hopes are that they stick with original trilogy themed ships as TFA ships do not interest me much but I know others like them.  

The most populair ships from the OT expanded universe have been used, with the exception of a few.

TFA movie had so many story hooks they can fill an entire new EU with it. Sometimes I think the movie has a bit too many untold story-hooks, I suspect it's sole purpose was more to be a mean to fill more books, stories and toys for the years to come. So I think FFG will shift more towards TFA and we will see less ships from the 'old' EU (which isnt official canon anymore anyway).

Maybe one day we will welcome Maz Kanata as a pilot :)

... I'm honestly really hoping they don't mess this up.  X-wing currently is such a fulfilling game.  

I want to see the new stuff to be done with more care:  No more "Red Ace" and "Blue Ace".  Give me the real in film characters, Jessika Pava, Nien Nunb, the other guy, can't remember.  

I'd really like to see the Gunboat also honestly.  Its so pretty.  

Just wondering where everyone thinks FFG is going with their future products. Are we going to see equal amounts of ships from the very different Era's or as the new movies come out will FFG shift to more TFA themed expansions. Star Wars Rebels has seen a lot of attention from FFG but who knows how long that will remain. My hopes are that they stick with original trilogy themed ships as TFA ships do not interest me much but I know others like them.  

There are no more 'new' Original Trilogy themed ships. Those have been done for a while.

We've been so far into the EU - Legends that we're seeing stuff I've never heard about (largely because I quickly gave up on the endless stream of watery fecal ejection that was the EU).

@ Blail Blerg - that was Temmin 'Snap' Wexley.

DA-MOUSE!!!

60SA.gif

Expect new B&W X-WINGS, and a new R-1 Firespray, and the remaining cool ships (all three of 'em) from the incredibly disappointing TFA movie... Who knows after that.

:lol:

REB%252520YT-1300%252520NDV.png    IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png    IMP%252520TIE%252520FO%2525201%252520FIG    (& Maybe)   IMP%252520FO%252520TRANS.png

You mean shipwise, right? Otherwise: Come at me, bro! (I have grown to love that movie so much by now)

DA-MOUSE!!!

60SA.gif

Expect new B&W X-WINGS, and a new R-1 Firespray, and the remaining cool ships (all three of 'em) from the incredibly disappointing TFA movie... Who knows after that.

:lol:

REB%252520YT-1300%252520NDV.png    IMP%252520FO%252520%252520SHUT.png    IMP%252520TIE%252520FO%2525201%252520FIG    (& Maybe)   IMP%252520FO%252520TRANS.png

You mean shipwise, right? Otherwise: Come at me, bro! (I have grown to love that movie so much by now)

YUP... Ship Wise.

;)

gotta be something for scum.  the only other TFA ships i can recall are the one that gets blown skyhigh on Jakku, (Quadjumper?) and the Death Gang freighter that docks with Hans bulk carrier.  either of those might do the trick.

I can genuinely see a point coming in the nearish future when FFG will launch Star Wars: The Clone Wars Miniature Game. Same rules, same format, but a semi-standalone game with CIS and Republic as forces, but also usable as new factions with the X-Wing factions. It'd take some time for those new factions to get up to speed and be properly competitive, but when they did, it'd be glorious...

I can genuinely see a point coming in the nearish future when FFG will launch Star Wars: The Clone Wars Miniature Game. Same rules, same format, but a semi-standalone game with CIS and Republic as forces, but also usable as new factions with the X-Wing factions. It'd take some time for those new factions to get up to speed and be properly competitive, but when they did, it'd be glorious...

I agree with you. But prepare for the wrath of the prequel haters.

(this has been mentioned many times before and I feel eventually they will need to access a wider array of source material, so far they have stated they will be sticking with civil war forward but whether this is either a FFG decision or Disney direction is unclear.)

(this has been mentioned many times before and I feel eventually they will need to access a wider array of source material, so far they have stated they will be sticking with civil war forward but whether this is either a FFG decision or Disney direction is unclear.)

Meh, I can take the hate. Especially since they're all wrong.

Note: that was a joke.

Okay, here I go: OMFG WHAT A STOOOOPID IDEA WHY WOULD WE WANT THINGS THAT I DON'T WANT?!? YOU ARE A WORTHLESS PERSON BECAUSE YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME!!!!!

On a more serious note, I don't see it coming. Disney has distanced Star Wars from the PT era and while the ST runs that won't change. Afterwards? Sure, maybe. Most designs from those movies were pretty good in my opinion and a lot of people agree with at least that. After the ST is done a lot of those who grew up with the PT will also be in the miniature gaming age, so then might be an opportune time. But before that? Not happening.

Okay, here I go: OMFG WHAT A STOOOOPID IDEA WHY WOULD WE WANT THINGS THAT I DON'T WANT?!? YOU ARE A WORTHLESS PERSON BECAUSE YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME!!!!!

On a more serious note, I don't see it coming. Disney has distanced Star Wars from the PT era and while the ST runs that won't change. Afterwards? Sure, maybe. Most designs from those movies were pretty good in my opinion and a lot of people agree with at least that. After the ST is done a lot of those who grew up with the PT will also be in the miniature gaming age, so then might be an opportune time. But before that? Not happening.

It's a fair point. But then, Disney has also distanced Star Wars from the EU/Legends stuff, and that hasn't stopped FFG. In the final analysis, they'll do what will return the most profit. What will it be? I don't know, but I look forward to finding out. (Unless it's the gunboat. :P)

Edited by Graeme Lyon

We know of at least one wave 9 ship -- Armada has it.  Scurgg H-6 Bomber, will most likely be Scum?  I imagine they'll do the imperial gunboat, and then some sort of rebel ship yet.  

But yeah, at some point they run out of reasonable content, and at some point the game becomes really bloated.  How do you keep it an interesting game, and maintain the massive boon to your business this has created?  It seems like you could spend more on marketing, since there's value in purchasing every wave.  That's a lot of money when you get new people coming in.

Keep in mind that Rebels is putting out new ships that fit the time period of this game, and we also have Rogue One on the horizon that I'm sure will have some content worthy of being in X-Wing. I don't think there will be a shortage of new ships coming out to add to this game. 

I do think with all of this new content coming out that we've probably seen the last of the old EU ships. 

The future FFG releases for this game will be a mix of various things. Honestly FFG needs all the new content they can get and will use it whenever they get the opportunity.

The new films are going to be really spread out though. Rogue One doesn't release until December 2016. They could try and fast track some things from that film for something close to a simultaneous release but that remains to be seen what ships they can mine from it. Episode 8 has been pushed back to December 2017 which is an eternity for this game. It's highly probable that we see TFA ships in Wave 9 which will likely be announced soon with a possible pre-release at Gencon.

Rebels is one of the most visible Star Wars properties at the moment but the majority of usable ships and pilots will have been released as soon as wave 8 hits store shelves in the coming weeks. There have been a couple possibilities for future ships from season 2 so far but those are so recent that in all likelihood they will not be part of a wave 9 announcement particularly given the lead time it takes to playtest new ships, pilot abilities and upgrades.

You will continue to see Aces/Veterans style packs as well as huge ships that will include at least one small base ship released and slotted in between waves.

With the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunter ships now finished there is very little unused content that originates with the Original Trilogy. FFG has said repeatedly that they have no intention of adding the Clone Wars/Prequel era into this game. I think we should expect FFG to continue to mine the Legends content to fill in gaps, especially for Scum.

All of these things are going to get sprinkled together and released as they receive new content. 

FFG has said repeatedly that they have no intention of adding the Clone Wars/Prequel era into this game.

I see this stated a lot, but never with an attributed official quote from FFG. If you can you provide one, I'll be satisfied. As an aside, I still advocate a separate but cross-compatible Clone Wars Miniatures Game, not just adding prequel ships to X-Wing.

Edited by Graeme Lyon

FFG has said repeatedly that they have no intention of adding the Clone Wars/Prequel era into this game.

I see this stated a lot, but never with an attributed official quote from FFG. Can you provide one?

Thanks, Toqtamish. That's me satisfied on that matter. 

... I'm honestly really hoping they don't mess this up.  X-wing currently is such a fulfilling game.  

I want to see the new stuff to be done with more care:  No more "Red Ace" and "Blue Ace".  Give me the real in film characters, Jessika Pava, Nien Nunb, the other guy, can't remember.  

I'd really like to see the Gunboat also honestly.  Its so pretty.

I agree with the nameless pilot thing. That was really a horrible decision, even if I kind of understand how it happened.