Sign in to follow this  
BadAsh1

Touchy topic - time limit, or "just how long is reasonable for dials???"

There's nothing stopping FFG from imposing a per-ship time limit. Say, 3 minutes per living ship - obviously, in scenarios where there is a 2 ship list vs. a 6 ship list, both players would just operate at the highest count list present at the board.

Although good in theory, you can pretty much guarantee that players would abuse it by trying to run the clock out when the're winning. Personally, I think it's a good idea, and I don't know why they didn't impose a time limit in the first place.

There's nothing stopping FFG from imposing a per-ship time limit. Say, 3 minutes per living ship - obviously, in scenarios where there is a 2 ship list vs. a 6 ship list, both players would just operate at the highest count list present at the board.

Although good in theory, you can pretty much guarantee that players would abuse it by trying to run the clock out when the're winning. Personally, I think it's a good idea, and I don't know why they didn't impose a time limit in the first place.

If we're already working with a scenario where there is an expectation of abusing the clock, it wouldn't be a shock to discover that the same players would go from delaying the game as much as possible in a vague sense to as much as possible in a concrete sense. I'd probably go so far as to reduce the original time-per-ship I proposed to about a minute and a half each.

Given that, in my experience so far the game has some enforceable expectations of good sportsmanship worked into it - it's reasonable enough that players who are confident in politely letting their opponent know they're taking too long with their turns could agree to play without concrete time limits, while more gentle folk who would be intimidated by the notion could simply invoke clock rules at the start of the match in order to avoid that issue altogether.

The entire match is already on a timer, anyway.

3 minutes per ship is extreme. That means with a 6 ship list I'm allowed to drag the planning phase on for 18 minutes.

When people have 3 ships and they take a full 5 minutes with 3 second guesses and dial resets before he's finally ready, it's slow playing, even if it's not intentional. Get some more sleep next time.

3 minutes per ship is extreme. That means with a 6 ship list I'm allowed to drag the planning phase on for 18 minutes.

When people have 3 ships and they take a full 5 minutes with 3 second guesses and dial resets before he's finally ready, it's slow playing, even if it's not intentional. You are a lovely human.

I am sorry that I have offended you by making the fake number one that is too big. I'll maybe make it a smaller number next time if that will make you more comfortable.

Like, say, half that?  :P

I'd probably go so far as to reduce the original time-per-ship I proposed to about a minute and a half each.

When people have 3 ships and they take a full 5 minutes with 3 second guesses and dial resets before he's finally ready, it's slow playing, even if it's not intentional. You are a lovely human.

I am sorry that I have offended you by making the fake number one that is too big. I'll maybe make it a smaller number next time if that will make you more comfortable.

I'd probably go so far as to reduce the original time-per-ship I proposed to about a minute and a half each.

So when I'm flying 8 ships I get to drag out the planning phase for 12 minutes?

Let's halve that, 45 seconds per dial. I get to drag it out for 6 minutes with 8 ships, even when all of my ships are in formation and it's the first turn?

So when I'm flying 8 ships I get to drag out the planning phase for 12 minutes?

Let's halve that, 45 seconds per dial. I get to drag it out for 6 minutes with 8 ships, even when all of my ships are in formation and it's the first turn?

Nah, 1 minute... Even 1.5 minutes per dial is fine.

The swarm typically only has a lot of ships at the start of the match when they're flying in formation and the dials are (relatively) easy to set.

Plus neither player should be particularly eager to slow-roll in the opening turns of the game - there's little to no advantage in stalling if you're not ahead.

I think 45 seconds would hurt too much on the occasions when you do actually have to "go into the tank" when setting your dials.

If you're worried about time for swarms, then say 90s per dial, but cap it at 6 or 7 minutes for the whole squad.