clontroper5

Lets Analyse Threat Range

Ok now lets look whys we can improve this threat range.

A. Re rolls and Added dice, this is the basic way to improve your threat range and it can be done with many things

1.Concentrate fire, obviously the easiest way to imrpve your threat range is simply take this command, it wil generally increase very zones "threat Value" by 1 level (green-yellow, yellow-orange etc.) this is most effective small ships such as a corvette which will now have a threat range like this:

Cr90%2Bwith%2BCF%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

2.Expanded launchers/ enhanced armament: pretty self explanatory, upgrades like these simple enhance the arc that they affect.

3.Leading shots/ ordnance experts/Vader: then we have re roll upgrades, these are mostly available for imperials and can be used to increase the Threat value. In my World cup fleet, i utilized both Expanded launchers and Re-rolls to increase the threat value of my raiders to look like this:

mean%2Braiders%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

I was able to increase the threat Value to the Highest tenable on my scale ( roughly equal to an ISD-1 front arc at close range)

4. Ackbar: Ackbar is basiaclly paying 38 points to increase threat range and is kinda insane when you look at how they are effected by him. lets look at each rebel ship except the neb-b and the Cr90 while under the influence of Calamari:

Mk2%2Bwith%2BAckbar.jpg

Mc30%2Bwith%2BAckbar.jpg

Mc80%2BAckbar.jpg

Wow, Ackbar has a REALLY big effect on threat ranges, And look at all that Red on the MC80! after looking at these even the most Skeptical can see why many feel Ackbar is op.

5.other dice modifiers:Screed, Warlord, Trcs. these are great threat value increases because they are consistent and powerful. lets look a Trc90 threat range:

trc90%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

if you have a confire the Trc90 has basically the same damage out put and threat range as a Vic-2...for 51 points... Broken? probably

Other ways to improve your Threat range are

B) Accuracy's: use upgrades such as H9 turbo lasers to get more accuracy's to block defense which can improve threat range

C)defense mitigation: different from Acc results because this revolves around getting ride of the defense token entirely. By far the best card is Intel officer, but other upgrades such as Overload pulse and Nk-10 work to

D)Last but not least (my favorite) we have Phase order manipulation, basacally Attacking After you move. and you all know what that means! D stands For DEMOLISHER! the manice of wave 1 which lead to Cries of brokenness lets get a rough idea of why: Demolisher%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

so Demolisher with engine techs can threaten a HUGE area, and the worst part, Its almost all red (assuming decent upgrades and CF commands) and admittedly this diagram only shows about 80% of the actually threat range since it doesn't show how far to the side Demolisher can reach with a speed 4 90 degree turn.

If you were wondering what makes Demolisher so good, its his huge increase in threat range, which happens to be the Most red any ship currently has(more then the Isd-2 which has the most red any generic ship can get)

Edited by clontroper5

Lets take a quick look at how we can apply what we learned to Formation flying. 

First up rebels:

So rebels as you may have noticed earlier, generally have far less red but far more yellow, now the problem with yellow is that it inst going to kill much anytime soon so lets look out how that can be remedied in your games using formations

(i apoligies this dont look as clean as the single ships, harder to paint...)

first up a conga line,  in my example i am using 3 Mk2s but it works with any broadside ship

conga%2Bline%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

as we can see the conga line combines the Yellow and light orange of the assault frigates into a combind (oddly shaped like lips...)red area with a large area, including a dark red area where all 3 side arcs overlap. its also important to note this area is at long range, there is a good reason we here about this formation alot. of course it has those obvious weaknesses at the Front and rear of the formation.

lest take a look at the same fleet but in more of an Echelon formation

mk%2B2%2Bechalon.jpg

this formation increases the red area and decreases the yellow and green again but at the cost of less Dark red compared to the classic conga line, also the more extreme the angle the assault frigates have the less green area there is but the less red you get as well.

take a way: the more damage you need on a single target the better it is to run parallel or in a circle trying to keep the "focal point" on the target, such as when this fleet comes in contact with and ISD. But if you are trying to threaten more area (i.e. against enemy corvettes) it is better to use a staggered approach  with the greater the angle (meaning farther off of strait following each other) the more area is covered but the less severe the threat in that area becomes.

now lets look at imperials: Generally speaking imperials do not have trouble killing ships but rather getting them in range (kinda the opposite of rebels hmmmm...)so there formations are going to be based on spreading out and making sue there is no room to run, this can be demonstrated very well using those raiders I have been enjoying so much in the World cup.

Line abreast formation: (assuming Confire)

meanraider%2Bswarm%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

Here we have the raiders spreading out in a line, they are each designed individual to kill enemy ships so the need to focus fire is limited and by spreading out we can form a solid wall of  Red and Dark Red so even though there is very little threat at range, the raiders have formed a impassible wall. this applies to all the imperial ships especially the Vic-1. this is also why Minefields and contested outpost is so good as it forces the enemy into your wall of red.

now it doesn't have to be a "perfect" formation

I used the threat ranges of my fleet to great effect in the World cup Semis final against JJ

here is the picture

(red speckle is the Range of demolisher) 

Game%2Bexample%2Bvs%2BJJ.jpg

here we see how i used my formation to form that impassible wall, also notice how I exploited the location of the Obstacles and Mines to add to my wall. when JJ saw this he knew he couldn't Advance with out taking severe damage and probably dieing, so this forced him to slow to speed 0 which left him a sitting duck for Demolisher, using my threat range I foced him to chose between Bad and Horrible which lead to my win.

Edited by clontroper5

a little bit on Squadrons:

I set up the threat range of each squadron next to each other for comparison. Threat range in this case is the Range that a squadron can attack with a Command, Simply the Speed of the Squad plus distance 1 again. the squads are arranged in to 2 groups with Bombers on the left and fighters on the right and both groups are arranged by order of longest range to shortest.

Rebel Squads:

Rebel%2Bfighters%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

First up the Rebel Squads, here we see why the A-wings are so popular giving a huge range advantage over the other squads we also can see why the B-wings are still king as the increase in range is for the Y-wing and Scuurg is minor.

Imperials:

Imperial%2BFighter%2Bthreat%2Brange%2Ban

(the thick Green line represents Corrupter activated speed 5 bombers range, the Lateral thin green line is distance 5 for reference)

on the imperial side we can see a much higher threat range across the board in general with a majority able to strike Beyond longrange and the squads on the far left demonstrating Extreme range with Rhymer is Insane with the Corruptor Bombers (green line on the left) going COMPLETELY OFF my chart. well past long range. We can also see why the yv-666 is somewhat of a red headed step child of imperial squads, being sooo SLOW in comparison. 

Wondering how many Interceptors (Tie int/ A-wings) it takes to effectively threaten the majority of the play area?

the following is a picture of a 6*3 play area with distance 3 from the player edges marked and distance 5 from all edges marked (note: the bottom is cut off slightly) the green half circles represent the threat range of the intercepters

interceptor%2Bthreat%2Brange.jpg

Anwser: 2

it takes 2 interceptors to threaten the entirety of the play area except for about Distnce 2 from the edges...

just to make sure you understand how Massive the threat range of the interceptors is:

java%2B2016-04-15%2B18-44-36-71.jpg

that is 18 yes EIGHTEEN Mc80's within the Threat range of 1 Tie Interceptors, and technically that is only like 60% of the Full threat range. if you do the full circle you can probably get about 25-30 Large bases in it. Amyway food for thought because I thought it was interesting 

Edited by clontroper5

Nice 

What I want to know though is including movement, how much of the board a ship can threaten.  

I would also point out that the front close and medium of an VSD2 is pretty assuredly dead range: equivalent to RED.  

Also, while this is awesome, some of the ships really require different graphs due to often used upgrades, as you probably already know.  

AFs with Ackbar.  The mc30 red shrimp with Ackbar i think elevates its sides to yellow (but probably not orange). 

One of the craziest I've seena ctually was 2 MC80s.  With enhanced Armaments.  Completely able to topple things like AFs and VSDs nearly in one shot, and 2 shotting large ships at medium and close. 

Quick break but im still working on it. and movement will be put in its own post

I would also point out that the front close and medium of an VSD2 is pretty assuredly dead range: equivalent to RED.  

vsd-2 average damage is .75x6=4.5

not likely to one shot a corvette

basically the vic-1 is on the low end of red while the vic 2 is on the solidly orange

Edited by clontroper5

Very cool work clontrooper5 ! Some visual tools like this are always welcome :)

It really shows that when it comes to threat ranges, Imperials are at quite the disadvantage compared to the Rebels (that is no surprise but a visual reminder is always good !) : not only they only cover a small area, but due to where this area is located it's much harder to keep or draw ships inside the optimal threat range.

Because of the much shorter range, it's also harder to combine meaningful firepower.

did I miss anything?

any other things i should consider with threat ranges with my other 2 posts?

movement, Demolisher, and the threat range of Double Arcs
glance at the bottom of post 2,

Otherwise I will add a few notes about double arcs but there isn't much to diagram with it.

And I will try to do movement but it's hard to demonstrate with my diagrams

You see why the conga line Ackbar whaling fleet is hugely popular...

I personally thinkg Ackbar needs to be toned done from what I'm seeing here, considering he effects all ships in the fleet, whilst Tarkin just adds command dials...granted rather good but when you basically throw concentrate fire on every ship...wow...

Because of the much shorter range, it's also harder to combine meaningful firepower.

hmmm, I will have to do a few pics about how rebels should use their great range (but lesser damage) vs the imperials Greater damage but at the cost of range.

Please do !

The Rebels definitely have a lot more maneuvering options to use their larger threat range. For the Imperials, right now my go to strategy is going for a "no escape" scenario by focusing on some area of the board and make sure that the Rebel ships have nowhere to run (so that regardless of where they try to go, they'll end up in effective range of one but ideally more ships that were unactivated). I'd love to see alternative scenarios !

EDIT : As in prioritizing one flank and pivoting the ships around so that it is truly a massive killzone and tanking the other flanks. When they're using Nav commands, medium and small Imperial ships can bank 45° which is quite good to reposition kill zones.

Edited by MoffZen

It may be worth noting that being player 1 with the larger number of ships can effectively give any one of your ships a Demolisher style threat range. The only difference is that instead of pulling it off all in one turn, you're doing the movement in the final activation of one turn, and the firing in the first activation of the following turn ;)

I'm curious - how would SW7's affect the Raider II's? With a 3 damage guarantee out the front It looks like the entire bubble shifts to orange. Add a CF and it darkens. Consider the mobility on these ships and they are certainly useful.

I will put up a diagram of a cr90b with sw-7, it is rather orange

Added some Group Pics in the third post, Check them out!

Thanks man, it really puts things into perspective !

If you could find the strength to make a similar analysis (but simple) with 1 ISD 2, 2 VSD 2 (all with Enhanced Armaments) I'd love it :)