Sign in to follow this  
Usaretama

BKZZ (or: I have no idea what I'm doing)

Hello!

I'm rather new to the game, so I was wondering if I could get opinions on the following list:

B-Wing - Nera Dantels (32)

• Flechette Torpedos
  • Flechette Torpedos
  • Deadeye
  • Munitions Failsafe

K-Wing - Guardian Squadron Pilot (36)

• Twin Laser Turret
  • Gunner

Z-Wing - Tala Squadron Pilot (16)

• Ion Pulse Missiles

Z-Wing - Tala Squadron Pilot (16)

• Ion Pulse Missiles

It's 100 points total, so no initiative bid here, but at the mid tier PS range I feel like there's not going to be a lot of difference since I'm always faster than swarms and always slower than aces.  The core of the list is Nera, whom I found was surprisingly potent in my last match. (The rest of that list is going to sit and rot for how effective it was.)  The K-Wing is in there to provide another decent threat at range 2-3, with the potential for more damage depending on how Gunner ends up working out.  I'm thinking the Zs will be moved as a pair whenever possible, with the missiles there to make them just dangerous enough to register as something to deal with. 

What do you think?

Gunner with TLT will only proc when both TLT shots miss. And since it's usually pretty consistent damage, there's no reason to have gunner on that K. You may want to give Nera advanced sensors so that you can always get your focus up, even if she gets blocked. Otherwise it looks decent enough, just not sure about how effective the ion pulse missiles will be on the Z's with their low pilot skill making it difficult to get target locks but they may work for you.

Thanks for the response!  From what I can see, the two shots of the TLT are treated as separate attacks, meaning that I would be able to trigger Gunner on either attack if I desired, am I reading that wrong?  As far as the missiles on the Zs, how does their lower PS make it difficult to get a target lock?  As long as the enemy is within range I should be able to get one, or is the trick in getting a higher PS pilot in arc to spend the target lock?

Well lets say you miss the first attack, you could do gunner but then you give up your second TLT attack because after you gunner, you cannot perform another attack that round. I don't think it would be worth it to gunner after the first one, and with 2 three dice shots you will probably land one of them so then gunner doesn't get to proc. It might end up working for you once in a while but I just think for 5 points on a ship that already has a two shot attack, it probably won't be worth it.

And about low pilot skills getting target locks when they need them is because they move first. If I'm flying at my opponent with ordnance, I would prefer to get the lock and fire it at range 3. It denies their range 3 bonus die but you get yours when they return fire with their primary weapon. The trouble is that one of two things typically happens because your opponent is playing around you having ordnance: 1. You move into range 3 of opponent ship and get your target lock, but now your opponent's ship zooms forward into range one after or 2. You move first and don't quite get range 3 for your action but he then moves into range and next round will move past you not allowing you to fire it. This is the main reason why ordnance-based lists are not prevalent in the metagame currently. But there is hope, once long-range scanners come out we will probably see a return of the tie bomber and others to the table.

After a little more thought, I ended up dropping the Gunner for Lando, and used the extra two points that gained me to upgrade the Zs to cluster missiles.  I feel like the extra punch those give will be worth the slight loss in control from having the ions, and Lando's action will generally end up better for me than the extra attack from gunner on that K-wing.