Sign in to follow this  
HistoryGuy

TLT Counter?

I'm trying to find a way to counter TLTs in the meta and the main two ways I can think to do it is multiple targets and missile ordnance. This is the list I thought of:

TIE Advanced: •Darth Vader (31)

•Squad Leader (2)

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (14)

TIE Bomber: Scimitar Squadron Pilot (27)

Munitions Failsafe (1)

Extra Munitions (2)

Concussion Missiles (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 100/100

Multiple TIE Fighters to shoot at Y-Wings with their one defense die and of a high enough pilot skill to shoot before the Y-Wings. The TIE Bomber is armed with two Cluster Missiles and two Concussion Missiles to also deliver the killing blows. Vader is there to act as a distraction and to give extra actions wherever needed.

Am I on the right track or completely off base?

It might do aight just by virtue of bodies and the ordnance will help a bit, but in general I think your off base. TLTs eat vader up quick, rest same. Plus vader doesn't like sharing. Soontir otoh will run rampant on em.

Edited by Carnor Rex

If the carriers are Y-wings, try to get inside of range 1(preferably out of arc). If it's K-wings, that may not be the best advice. Autothruster capable ships are always good though. Either way, concentrate fire and try to punch out 1 per turn. As long as your dice aren't like mine* if you can get everyone pointing at one it should be doable.

*SC this past Saturday, Wedge(TL + Focus) + Biggs(Focus) + Stresshog Y(TL) + Bandit Z(TL) all at Range 1, against a K-wing with no token. 12 dice, 4 of them with no die against them, all of them with mods... and I did a whopping 5 damage.  :wacko:

Edited by Otacon

I think you're getting it. Oddly though I've found the best option I've used as an only Empire player has been a Decimator. The big beast fears the Tlt little compared to three and four attack ships. 16 hull and shields vs 1 or even 2 tlt y's is an alright match up. Besides kept cheap enough that decimator could even be less than half your squad points (funny enough, that even the generic shoots before most every tlt carrier, silly ps 2 pilots).

If the carriers are Y-wings, try to get inside of range 1(preferably out of arc). If it's K-wings, that may not be the best advice. Autothruster capable ships are always good though. Either way, concentrate fire and try to punch out 1 per turn. As long as your dice aren't like mine* if you can get everyone pointing at one it should be doable.

*SC this past Saturday, Wedge(TL + Focus) + Biggs(Focus) + Stresshog Y(TL) + Bandit Z(TL) all at Range 1, against a K-wing with no token. 12 dice, 4 of them with no die against them, all of them with mods... and I did a whopping 5 damage.  :wacko:

Why would the "range one" tactic not work for the K-Wing?

I believe it's because the K-wing still throws a two dice PWT attack out.  Not quite as consistent as the TLT damage, but still capable of chipping away at your ships.

Edited by Usaretama

It's not Vader that hates TLT's IMO. Just non-EU Vader.

You need two things to deal with Y wing TLT spam.

A list that can reliably remove a Y wing in one turn of shooting. You are on the right track there.

The ability to outflank them and get into R1. EU Vader is actually very good at this when I've flown him A little susceptible to their fire (due to no AT) if it goes wrong.

I can't advise on the Bomber as I have literally never flown one and very very rarely flown against them- my personal preference is Vader and a 4 tie miniswarm.. but trying to keep the general feel of your list of be sorely tempted to drop a TIE to make Vader more of a threat. Or switch him for 35pt Fel. They both have their pros and cons. I'd also numb the bomber to PS4 so it's easier to get the TL and increase the chance of dropping a TLT before they even fire.

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced 29

Predator 3

Advanced Targeting Computer 1

Engine Upgrade 4

TIE/x1 0

Ship Total: 37

Black Squadron Pilot — TIE Fighter 14

Crack Shot 1

Ship Total: 15

Crack Shot 1

Gamma Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 18

Extra Munitions 2

Concussion Missiles 4

Cluster Missiles 4

Ship Total: 28

Leaves 5pts to play with.

To be honest I'm not sure the Bomber is a great ship to take against TLT's but you would be forcing them to target either Vader or the Bomber or if positioning well enough split their fire and both ships hit hard enough to get work done. Mc rack shot on the TIE's takes 'lucky' evades out of the equation.

It's not Vader that hates TLT's IMO. Just non-EU Vader.

You need two things to deal with Y wing TLT spam.

A list that can reliably remove a Y wing in one turn of shooting. You are on the right track there.

The ability to outflank them and get into R1. EU Vader is actually very good at this when I've flown him A little susceptible to their fire (due to no AT) if it goes wrong.

I can't advise on the Bomber as I have literally never flown one and very very rarely flown against them- my personal preference is Vader and a 4 tie miniswarm.. but trying to keep the general feel of your list of be sorely tempted to drop a TIE to make Vader more of a threat. Or switch him for 35pt Fel. They both have their pros and cons. I'd also numb the bomber to PS4 so it's easier to get the TL and increase the chance of dropping a TLT before they even fire.

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced 29

Predator 3

Advanced Targeting Computer 1

Engine Upgrade 4

TIE/x1 0

Ship Total: 37

Crack Shot 1

Crack Shot 1

Gamma Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 18

Extra Munitions 2

Concussion Missiles 4

Cluster Missiles 4

Ship Total: 28

Leaves 5pts to play with.

To be honest I'm not sure the Bomber is a great ship to take against TLT's but you would be forcing them to target either Vader or the Bomber or if positioning well enough split their fire and both ships hit hard enough to get work done. Mc rack shot on the TIE's takes 'lucky' evades out of the equation.

Don't have the TIE Advanced title card or crack shot.

Oh and the K wing 2 die primary... Is actually 3 die when your talking of range one. Well worth bearing in mind.

This. and sometimes, if you follow a K-wing too close, he might just drop an easy bomb on you!

Oh and the K wing 2 die primary... Is actually 3 die when your talking of range one. Well worth bearing in mind.

This. and sometimes, if you follow a K-wing too close, he might just drop an easy bomb on you!

Are bombs making a come-back?

I believe it's because the K-wing still throws a two dice PWT attack out.  Not quite as consistent as the TLT damage, but still capable of chipping away at your ships.

At range 1, a K-wing would have a 3 die pwt attack.

At range 1, a K-wing would have a 3 die pwt attack.

I always forget the K-Wing has a PWT. Looks like I'll have to think on my list a little more.

If you can keep the Y-Wing TLTs from ganging up on her, Redline can eat Y-Wings for breakfast with Cluster Missiles.  At Range 3, Plasma Torps can do some real damage too.  Redline is tanky enough to take some hits and keep on hitting back.

I assume we are talking imperials here.

Palp + aces

Triple interceptors

TIE advanced with x-1 title + accuracy corrector

TIE defenders with new titles

Those are probably the most effective ways to deal with Twin Laser turrets. 

You'll notice all of those things have a combination of high agility + multiple defensive mods and put out enough damage that 1 agility cannot save the y-wings.

The 'worst' twin laser lists are when there are 4 of them or two of them plus big ship.  But really, with lots of practice, quite a number of lists can beat them since they do have weaknesses that can be exploited. 

honestly bbbbz or a tie swarm should be able to take a twin laser turret list .  sure your going to lose a ship before you get into range one, but once you do the b's are very maneuverable and can throw out some great damage.  while the tie swarm should be able to green dice enough to live long enough to drop the y wings  

Palp + aces

Triple interceptors

You'll notice all of those things have a combination of high agility + multiple defensive mods and put out enough damage that 1 agility cannot save the y-wings.

The 'worst' twin laser lists are when there are 4 of them or two of them plus big ship.  But really, with lots of practice, quite a number of lists can beat them since they do have weaknesses that can be exploited.

I don't have any of these ships (except the TIE Advanced) or cards.

Palp + aces

Triple interceptors

I don't have any of these ships (except the TIE Advanced) or cards.

How many of the ships in your signature do you have?  If one of each, it will be rough sledding for you.

Hmmm, well here's what I came up with:

Howlrunner w/ squad leader = 20

Gamma w/ concussion missiles = 22

2 zeta pilots = 16 x 2

2 obsidian pilots = 13 x 2

So there are a few ways to tweak the list, but the reason I did it this way was to make it as easy to fly as possible.  You could run it in a 3 x 2 formation (howl and gamma in back row) or you could have 4 ships up front (the PS 3s) with howl and gamma behind, or you could run it more or less with Howl and the other TIEs in a clump (with howl in the back) and the gamma off to the side (but not too far---he needs to be close enough to Howl for squad leader).  Practice a few different ways to see what you like best.

The plan is simple: howlrunner provides Gamma with an extra action on the turn when you want to fire the missiles.  After that, Howl will likely want her actions for herself (assuming she didn't get vaporized).  For at least the first turn, you get a focussed concussion shot from the gamma (but no re-roll from howlrunner because its a secondary weapon) and then you get all of your TIEs shooting with howl re-roll + focus token.  It may or may not be enough to kill a y-wing in one turn, but regardless, that y-wing will be hurting and you can hopefully kill it next turn before it shoots. 

Now, depending on the types of things you face most often, you can adjust the list.  If you find the bomber is not getting killed quickly, you could try to fit extra munitions on him: either drop squad leader or demote two of your TIE fighter pilots.  Changing two TIE fighters to PS 1 does make the list harder to fly though, because now you have to be very careful about the order in which you activate your ships...