Sign in to follow this  
J Viz

Another A-wing list

I seem to have too much time on my hands but here's some a-wing fun to critique? Would it be better with just the 4 GSP at 24 pts or even switching out the 22 pointer for Lt Blount with Ass. Missiles to soften targets up!

Green Squadron (98)

Jake Farrell (28) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Green Squadron Pilot (24) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Juke (2)

Green Squadron Pilot (24) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Juke (2)

And

Green Squadron Pilot (22) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), Autothrusters (2)

Or

Lieutenant Blount (22) - Z-95 Headhunter

Assault Missiles (5)

I'd choose Lt. Blount over the additional GSP... Swarmy lists, with the new TIE Fighter and the TIE/FO Fighters, are getting popular again. Blount can easily peg the swarm to help your 2 attack die ships actually manage to kill something.

Also I caution against taking all 2 attack die ships, not great odds at being point-effective...

I'd choose Lt. Blount over the additional GSP... Swarmy lists, with the new TIE Fighter and the TIE/FO Fighters, are getting popular again. Blount can easily peg the swarm to help your 2 attack die ships actually manage to kill something.

Also I caution against taking all 2 attack die ships, not great odds at being point-effective...

Getting them to be effective is always the issue but hopefully Juke will help with a little. I'm under no illusion that it will be a list that takes the world by storm. I just think that the A-wings need some love and I don't think anyone likes playing against them. may be something to do with having them sat behind 3 defence dice, evade, focus and AT's. But if used in a tournament could be a very (very) long day

Getting them to be effective is always the issue but hopefully Juke will help with a little. I'm under no illusion that it will be a list that takes the world by storm. I just think that the A-wings need some love and I don't think anyone likes playing against them. may be something to do with having them sat behind 3 defence dice, evade, focus and AT's. But if used in a tournament could be a very (very) long day

You are certainly setting yourself, and your opponents, up for a long thought-intensive war of mental attrition. I would expect, especially if you have to play 4+ rounds @ 90 minutes a piece, you will be cognitively exhausted by the end of the day!  :D

You are certainly setting yourself, and your opponents, up for a long thought-intensive war of mental attrition. I would expect, especially if you have to play 4+ rounds @ 90 minutes a piece, you will be cognitively exhausted by the end of the day!  :D

I am usually pretty drained, and do usually tail off at the end!

J Viz,

What type of builds have you flown against with the A-Wing Green squadron? I have also been interested in trying a similar build that you have shown. Heck, I may just switch my build and clone yours!

I've not really run many GSP squads, I normally run Jake, GSP and another ace. Last couple lists have been:

Horn A (98)

Corran Horn (48) - E-Wing

Push The Limit (3), R2-D2 (4), Fire Control System (2), Engine Upgrade (4)

Jake Farrell (28) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Green Squadron Pilot (22) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), Autothrusters (2)

And

Next list (98)

Poe Dameron (40) - T-70 X-Wing

Veteran Instincts (1), R2-D2 (4), Weapons Guidance (2), Autothrusters (2)

Jake Farrell (33) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Proton Rockets (3), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Veteran Instincts (1)

Green Squadron Pilot (25) - A-Wing

Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

Both were ok but especially with Poe I missed the manoeuvrability of the A's, I've also run a list with Jake, Gemmer and Corran with R2 instead of R2-D2. Corran was pretty fragile but great fun to fly. All GSP lists usually lack punch but hopefully Juke will help with that.

Building my first list for a local store championship. Looking forward to running the Ghost so I want to learn to run the A-Wings effectively.

Currently have the new starter, Rebel Aces, and two more A-Wing expansions. I can see adding a fourth A-Wing, but I am not all that interested in buying four Star Vipers for the Autothrusters.

What would you recommend from a limited collection to make a more competitive list?

Building my first list for a local store championship. Looking forward to running the Ghost so I want to learn to run the A-Wings effectively.

Currently have the new starter, Rebel Aces, and two more A-Wing expansions. I can see adding a fourth A-Wing, but I am not all that interested in buying four Star Vipers for the Autothrusters.

What would you recommend from a limited collection to make a more competitive list?

Luckily you get 2 autothrusters with each Starviper so you only need two and you can always sell the models on (which is what I did). To be honest an all A-wing squad is fun but unlikely to be really competitive.

I would say a good starting point is actually to go with

Poe w/BB-8, PTL and AT

Jake w/Prockets, PTL and AT

2 x prototypes with Chardaan refit

With the upgrades you have this is a reasonable list. if you had the original core set then R2-D2 would be better on Poe but it should be fairly good fun to fly with BB-8. With Jake you should be able toy get into range 1 with TL and focus to get max effect from the prockets and the 2 prototypes should just get you used to flying them and also are really good blockers to set up shots for Jake and Poe.

There are numerous other options though

Luckily you get 2 autothrusters with each Starviper so you only need two and you can always sell the models on (which is what I did). To be honest an all A-wing squad is fun but unlikely to be really competitive.

Poe w/BB-8, PTL and AT

With the upgrades you have this is a reasonable list. if you had the original core set then R2-D2 would be better on Poe but it should be fairly good fun to fly with BB-8. With Jake you should be able toy get into range 1 with TL and focus to get max effect from the prockets and the 2 prototypes should just get you used to flying them and also are really good blockers to set up shots for Jake and Poe.

Hrm. One Star Viper might fit in the budget then. Thanks for that tip. Then I have it on two and run other things. I might just run that list and see about borrowing an R2-D2 from someone not using theirs.

Poe w/BB-8, PTL and AT

Hrm. One Star Viper might fit in the budget then. Thanks for that tip. Then I have it on two and run other things. I might just run that list and see about borrowing an R2-D2 from someone not using theirs.

If you can borrow veteran instincts as well then I would add that and R2-D2 to Poe and replace the 2 prototypes with Gemmer with PTL and Proton Rockets. With the extra defence dice he can be a tough cookie.

I would strongly recommend that you spend

All 100 points on this list, so take juke on the third GSP.

Think of it this way. If you spend 3 points on an initiative bid (100-98+1=3) you will have a single PS 9 ship and 3 PS 3s. Most PS dependent squads out there at the moment have 2-3 PS 9 or 10 ships in them. So your single PS 9 is not going to beat them at their game, much as you may want him too.

Given that I'd recommend firmly that you EMBRACE Jake Farrel's PS of 7 and swap VI for Wired. Unconventional I know, but I hope I've built up some credibility about A-wings by now. VI leaves Jake without any extra tricks and you will lose with this list if you try and fight the PS bid gamble fight. wired by contrast gives you a nice boost both for offense and defense as you will almost always be stressed.

As far as the other A-wings they are fine as they are, though honestly I'd recommend that you drop autothrusters. Crazy suggestion I know, but with Green Squadron Pilots it is very hard to reliably be out of arc/range 3 of the enemy squadron with all your GSPs in any given round. Your opponent will just shoot the ones which don't benefit from autothrusters in any given round so the points are often wasted.

If you saved the points on autothrusters for the other A-wings you could either take hull upgrade for two of them (much better buy) or put Proton Rockets on Jake.

These are my thoughts, I am also tired and have been drinking...

I would strongly recommend that you spend

All 100 points on this list, so take juke on the third GSP.

Think of it this way. If you spend 3 points on an initiative bid (100-98+1=3) you will have a single PS 9 ship and 3 PS 3s. Most PS dependent squads out there at the moment have 2-3 PS 9 or 10 ships in them. So your single PS 9 is not going to beat them at their game, much as you may want him too.

Given that I'd recommend firmly that you EMBRACE Jake Farrel's PS of 7 and swap VI for Wired. Unconventional I know, but I hope I've built up some credibility about A-wings by now. VI leaves Jake without any extra tricks and you will lose with this list if you try and fight the PS bid gamble fight. wired by contrast gives you a nice boost both for offense and defense as you will almost always be stressed.

As far as the other A-wings they are fine as they are, though honestly I'd recommend that you drop autothrusters. Crazy suggestion I know, but with Green Squadron Pilots it is very hard to reliably be out of arc/range 3 of the enemy squadron with all your GSPs in any given round. Your opponent will just shoot the ones which don't benefit from autothrusters in any given round so the points are often wasted.

If you saved the points on autothrusters for the other A-wings you could either take hull upgrade for two of them (much better buy) or put Proton Rockets on Jake.

These are my thoughts, I am also tired and have been drinking...

Nice suggestion.

Yesterday tried 2x A wings, Gemmer and Tycho. PRockets did not do much. as there lower PS makes opponent dodge out of R1 mostly. VI would not help much i think vs higher ones.

But they were very annoying for opponent to deal, especially when my green dice were hot :)

But problem there 2red attack. Need TL, Juke or Predator to reliable try to make some damage, as vs higher defence ships it way to hard.

I've never really tried Jake a PS7 but as I trust your expertise in such matters I'll have to try it for a few games and see how it goes. Main issue is there are a lot of PS8 pilots in my local meta. I also find I get a lot of use from the AT's and always think you only need them to kick in once to make them more worthwhile than the hull upgrade.

And if I had another Jule I would use it but could throw wired in the third GSP. Need to get myself some games to practice!