Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

My main critic about FFG policies

It is not about money, number of waves or related. It is about vital upgrade cards. Example : Integrated Astromech

Cost 0 upgrade quite critical to x wings. Something to fix it a little ok. You must buy T 70 blisters, Ok. It is a x wing fix in a x wing blister.

You open it and...ONE CARD. ONE. Perhaps you own many T 65, plus at least one T 70. Or more. And you buy a ship with ONE fix card. As I say very often, buy ships, not cards. But this is a little joke. Here your little fix. One per blister.

And the Tie / FO comes with TWO upgrade cards. Ohhhh man. Don't kid me.

It is not about money, number of waves or related. It is about vital upgrade cards. Example : Integrated Astromech

Cost 0 upgrade quite critical to x wings. Something to fix it a little ok. You must buy T 70 blisters, Ok. It is a x wing fix in a x wing blister.

You open it and...ONE CARD. ONE. Perhaps you own many T 65, plus at least one T 70. Or more. And you buy a ship with ONE fix card. As I say very often, buy ships, not cards. But this is a little joke. Here your little fix. One per blister.

And the Tie / FO comes with TWO upgrade cards. Ohhhh man. Don't kid me.

I agree, I understand they need to drive sales by including certain cards with certain ships, but fixes should be readily available. I don't plan on playing epic so huge ships are of little interest to me. However the tie advanced fixes require the raider.

I think FFG should consider selling expansion packs without ships at a reduced cost. Like additional pilots, fix cards etc. Or at the very least allow individual card purchases to allow you competitive builds even if the card you need is in faction you don't play (authothrusters)

Sure, it would have been nice to have gotten two Integrated Astromechs per blister. But FFG has been pretty good about giving us multiple copies of other cards, so I'm going to give them a little credit and assume that we haven't seen the last of Integrated Astromechs.

Edited by DagobahDave

While I see where you're coming from, the TIE/FO isn't the best comparison as it has 3 cardboard chits and 6 pilot cards (instead of the usual 2 and 4) and is identical to the original TIE Fighter expansion in this respect. As to your original point I totally would have preferred an extra IA with the T70 instead of a proton torpedo or whatever filler it came with. I guess it's just a business decision in the end.

For me, the value of the expansions makes the price worth it, but this 'paying for errata' policy (which is what it amounts to) is not very customer friendly. It is what it is.

Note that Integrated Astromech is very suitable for the T-70 also, common wisdom (FWIW) is that it is better than Autothrusters for the generics, and I can see the point.

Some upgrades are simply very strong - PtL, Predator, etc. - but some are clearly fixes, like IA and TIE/X1. I hope the latter cards will become more easily available, that seems entirely reasonable to me.

You clearly weren't around when you Soontir came without PTL and you had to buy an Awing to get it. FFG needs to sell ships and limiting the cards they come with is the way to do that.

Often, valuable cards come in pairs, are released a second time in a later expansion or are awarded as prize support during tournaments.

Just be patient, you'll get more IA's. Until then, print, proxy or borrow them.

It is only critical when playing competitively (and even then it's nice, but critical?). Why would they stuff the packs with something relatively unneeded for casual gamers?

Some have made the point that if you want to play competitively, you should be prepared to pay a lot. This does raise the question why multiples of cards are ever included. Why three Chardaan Refits in one box? Competitive players should be willing to pay, casual players don't 'need' them.

I think that casual players are interested in having the right cards in theright amount, too. This might explain some of X-Wing's success.

You get multiples when it is in a larger expansion and intended as a fix or essential upgrade.

Guess IA isn't viewed as such. I could do with less proliferation of certain cards to maybe get the community out of the auto-include mindset that stifles creativity.

I am going to point out the bleeding obvious here, FFG are a business and need to be keep the money flowing in. If they give all you need in one expansion then they are cutting off a source of income. Case in point is me, I play Imperial/Scum but I have to either buy 2 Hounds Tooth(teeth) expansion or one Falcon to get two Engine Upgrades. Does this annoy the hell out of me because I most likely will never play these ships? Of course it does, but I understand it's their business model and can either accept it or leave it and not play X-Wing... But what kind of choice is that?

So far the only thing that made me sad was Phantom having Tactician

but judging by the fact that even Predator was included into another pack, Tactician might one day see another box.

But still, no problems with that!

I am going to point out the bleeding obvious here, FFG are a business and need to be keep the money flowing in.

Yes, but we are not the business. If I felt responsible for every company's profits and always had to take that into consideration I would be completely bankrupt.

This is the real world and I'm just concerned with my part of the deal - what do I feel is good for me, as a customer.

You get multiples when it is in a larger expansion and intended as a fix or essential upgrade.

Guess IA isn't viewed as such. I could do with less proliferation of certain cards to maybe get the community out of the auto-include mindset that stifles creativity.

And I guess Enhanced Scopes is essential for something.

There is a difference, I think, between cards that are strong upgrades and true fixes that are really errata we pay for. As I said, it seems reasonable to make the latter category of 'upgrades' more easily available.

I have no problem buying every blister / box.twice al least because I am a dedicated player ( 12 T 65, 24 Tie fighters... ). But IMHO cost 0 upgrades are like patches to fix minor errata.or game.adjustement.

Buy Star Viper, twice, to obtain 4 AT cards? Ok

Buy 4 T 70 to fly 4 of my T 65 in a tournament with IA ? Just a.joke

I collect my upgrades in high quality binders. To play, Copy,Paste, Print, easier and faster.

But I think that one "updated upgrade" per blister is a joke. Sell me a x wing 2.0 x wing box. Include IA, Chimps, Juke, etc. I will pay 40 euro, or 60. But now, If I want to play legal and by the book, to field my 12 T 65 in Epic with IA, a free upgrade, I must buy 12 T 70 blistets. A veeery bad Joke

There is a difference, I think, between cards that are strong upgrades and true fixes that are really errata we pay for. As I said, it seems reasonable to make the latter category of 'upgrades' more easily available.

And they are, three refits in RA, two ATs in a StarViper, 4 ATCs and titles in the Raider, two MkII engines in the Punisher.

What else would you include?

And they are, three refits in RA, two ATs in a StarViper, 4 ATCs and titles in the Raider, two MkII engines in the Punisher.

What else would you include?

I would't include the erratum for a small ship with a huge ship. And things like Chardaan Refit just reveal a flawed original design, so if you bought the original, it's a bit unfair that you'd have to pay for the upgrade that corrects another person's mistake. These cards should be very cheaply available, separately. It's not our fault that the original TIE Advanced wasn't good.

Perhaps the Chardaan Refit is a good example of what I try to say. In the Rebel Aces box we buy not only two superb alternate paint ships, but 3 of these cards. One A wing in the box, but 3 CR cards. Not only one. This is my critic. I have no problems buying extra T 70 or Tie FO but only one IA per blister... A vast number of x wing players own at least one starter box. Include two cards, or sell us upgrade boxed sets.

There are extra cards in huge ships, "big" small ship expansions, and Aces/Vets.

So far, "small" small ship expansions have not included more cards than the ship itself can equip, have they? Why should the T70 be different?

If you want extra IA cards, wait and see what is in Rebel Veterans.

Edited by Rawling

There are extra cards in huge ships, "big" small ship expansions, and Aces/Vets.

So far, "small" small ship expansions have not included more cards than the ship itself can equip, have they? Why should the T70 be different?

TIE Phantom has 2 crew upgrades for only 1 slot.