Sign in to follow this  
unfassbarnathan

How and why did K-Wings become so good?

Before Worlds last year only Miranda was seen flying a bit. Then at Worlds the triple K 'Danger Zone' list brought in TLT tactician Wardens which have since been seen popping up a lot in Store Champs list. And a 4 Warden list with autoblaster turrets won a Store Champs somewhere. Last weekend I won a store tournament (8 people) with 3 Wardens with seismics and Conners.

When K-Wings were announced and released, I don't remember there being this much excitement and now they are appearing everywhere with success.

On a power creep note, compare the Warden with the Contracted Scout. For only 2 points more the Scout gets an extra agility for those 9 health points (but does give up half health).

They are kinda like minivans, not sexy at all but are super utilitarian.

I think they did a good job of making a ship with at least three pilots that do three or four different things well. Miranda can move with the aces and can be kitted out several different ways. Eskage has a plate of focus cookies available for others to use, and the Warden Squad can be an effective ordinance boat or tank TLT platform.

It's not that it suddenly became good, and more that it took time for it to develop in the meta. TLT has forced changes in lists, and playing style has evolved further. It sits comfortably in a niche it's carved for itself as an adaptable ship which is both tanky, and maneuverable, while remaining fairly dangerous thanks to its multitude of upgrade options.

The rebels love toolkit ships, and it's hard to be any more of a toolkit than the K-wing.

Before Worlds last year only Miranda was seen flying a bit. Then at Worlds the triple K 'Danger Zone' list brought in TLT tactician Wardens which have since been seen popping up a lot in Store Champs list. And a 4 Warden list with autoblaster turrets won a Store Champs somewhere. Last weekend I won a store tournament (8 people) with 3 Wardens with seismics and Conners.

When K-Wings were announced and released, I don't remember there being this much excitement and now they are appearing everywhere with success.

On a power creep note, compare the Warden with the Contracted Scout. For only 2 points more the Scout gets an extra agility for those 9 health points (but does give up half health).

Because if they have TLT's they function as fat PWT's. They don't have croissants like HWK's and Y-Wings do. That is why they're in reality good.

Saying that they're inefficient compared to the TLT Y-Wing is like saying Soontir is inefficient compared to an Alpha Squadron Pilot.

Contracted Scout is a better ORS, that's for sure. Warden Squadron is a better ORS. 4 Contracted Scouts may be a decent list but they won't have the autoblasters that a quad K list would. Compared to the ORS it's power creep, but the Contracted Scout is balanced with most of the rest of the game. ORS just sucks, or at the very least is very niche. I'd run an ORS with 6 Bandits but that's about it.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Miranda with TLT and C3PO was pretty well-represented at worlds. I suspect the Warden with TLT and tactician caught on immediately after for reasons mentioned above.

No idea why Autoblaster Wardens have just started popping up.

(...)

(...)

My impression back then was it was already there clearly declared as the by far best ship of wave 8, partly better than the Hound's tooth (which since then also is appreciated more, as a S&V toolbox, esp crew options), whereas the other two where received as more "meh"

No idea why Autoblaster Wardens have just started popping up.

1. VS aces: cause you can slam to range 1 to the aces, ok take some beating for 1 turn, which you dont care about due to having 9hp each, then even try to block em, and put 1-2 autoblasters in da face. Cause he may barrel roll, boost or whatever to dodge 1,2 maybe ever 3 of them but if you open right there is no way to dodge 4 autoblasters turret even for soontir. Kill soontir/poe/jake/vader/guri whoever then just do the chore of cleaning rest.

2. VS Control/stressbot: Wow. No slam on 1 warden. So scary.

3. VS Swarm: You got turrets he dont. Slam past and have fun watching enemy turning that block of fighters around while you autoblast or PWT them one by one.

4. Fat turret: this i thing can deal some pain to 4xK list due to fact that +wingman it can almost kill 1k a turn but autoblasters disable C3PO and Kenkinr/Emperor combo so skill matchup here.

Mostly thats why. Its pretty universal list that has no obvious weak matchups in current meta.

Edited by Vitalis

K-wings have a ridiculously obvious weakness. I've solo'ed them with Jake.

Interesting. I just won a match with 2 Warden K-wings and Gemmer Sojan against Jake/Miranda/Poe List. IMO TLT K-Wings with intelligence agents (1 on each) and conner nets are some very serious threat to aces.