Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

There's just too many waves too often. We are drowning!

It just seems like there is always 4 new things on the way. When does the game catch its breath and enjoy what's already here?

One or two new ships annualy and maybe a " aces type thing" seems like it would be enough.

Wouldn't it be nice to work with what exists for longer. Then a couple weeks before having to focus on three months of guesswork ,what ifs and half glimpses of preview spoilers because its all about to change.

Aaannnnddd...../rant.

Also....not even mad.

I just want to fly my list a couple times before I have to change it because of " the next big thing".

I blame the youth! You whipper snappers and your short attention spans and your situation comedy programs.

Smell the roses for cripes .

Hellen, fetch my slippers....and my multivitamins.

I have said this before and no doubt will say it again, but when you preview new product 7+ months before it is released there will always be those that want to play with the unreleased content and those who don't. The fact that as soon as you have the dial and any pilot cards players will be playing on Vassal, and the fact that the Vassal meta and real world meta are literally months apart it frustrates many players, myself included

Edited by Mace Windu

Another way to look at it...

Since the game's initial release, there have been 41 box or blister pack releases, including Wave 8. That breaks down as:

2 core sets

3 boxed sets with multiple ships (Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, Most Wanted)

4 huge ships

9 large ships

23 small ships

The initial core set was released in September 2012. That's 41 months ago.

So there's been essentially one release a month. Far from overwhelming, I'd say. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

its 4 to 6 months before ships make it into stores from when they are announced I don't find it a problem.

Maybe on Vassal it a problem but I don play Vassal so no problem  ;)

4-6 month preview time. ... That

It seems crazy.

I could see announcing a ship that early but all the previewing and card spoiling so early seems.. ..eh...I don't know. I guess I just don't dig on it.

It could be far, far worse too. We could be at the mercy of WizKrap the way Attack Wing is. Star Trek Attack Wing has been released for less than half the time X-Wing has, but already has over twice the models.

Recently, with a combination of shipping delays and The Force Awakens, there has been (comparatively speaking) a lot of relatively new releases. I would be surprised (and a little disappointed) if FFG continued that trend, though.

Yeah, the only time we were really drowning in releases was when the Raider was delayed for a long time and landed right before Wave VII, followed by the TFA Releases (which I suspect Disney may have greased the wheels to ensure arrived on schedule) and the surprisingly timely Gozanti release.

Try to recall the drought of releases between Wave VI and the Raider- this fall was an anomaly.

As for the discussion of the previews, that's just the nature of the internet- People who are excited about things can easily find people who share their excitement, and then they talk and talk and talk about it.

Vassal is a bit weirder because it's fan maintained, but FFG has no influence on when the Vassal team updates the X-wing module.

Every year, I'd like to see a wave of 2 to 4 new ships, 1 huge ship, and 2 repaint-and-revamp double-packs (or the equivalent), and an accessory or two (plastic dials, game mats, colored bases, etc.). At this point, I think that's plenty of new stuff to keep the game interesting and fun to collect, and there's already enough diversity in the meta to keep churning out new archetypes every couple of months.

Edited by DagobahDave

With future waves being based on new IP, it's possible we won't be getting the extremely early previews we have in the past. We didn't get confirmation on a new core set until stores broke the street date, after all. I won't be surprised if we see more ships that we won't know about until they're already off the boat.

Drowning? Did the boat sink? Is that why we haven't received the latest wave?

My only beef is getting previews for ships that won't arrive for 8 months! Please FFG, find a faster boat! Or, wait until close to the release to surprise us like you did with the new core set! Every time I look at the status page I go Kylo...

With future waves being based on new IP, it's possible we won't be getting the extremely early previews we have in the past. We didn't get confirmation on a new core set until stores broke the street date, after all. I won't be surprised if we see more ships that we won't know about until they're already off the boat.

Yes and no, the FA stuff wasn't announced for publicity reasons as it was released with all the other FA stuff, so anything related to the new films may get similar treatment but the other stuff should be released and announced as it was beforehand. That said I doubt they will announce anything new before April with the new FFG/Asmode policy coming into place to prevent preorders. 

The spacing is fine, what i don't like is the LONG time between preview time and release, this is also a problem with their card games as well, there are x-wing upgrades and AGoT cards that we know what they do, but are still 6 months away from release.  I understand that the anticipation helps keep ppl interested in the game, but sometimes the lead up is to long

I swear I saw a post like this earlier, but cannot find it...

Wave 1 (X, Y, Tie, Tie-Advanced) Days from announce to release: 151 days

Wave 2 (Falcon, Firespray, A, Tie-IN) Days from announce to release: 168 days

Wave 3 (HWK, Lambda, B, Bomber) Days from announce to release: 132 days

Wave 4 (Z-95, E, Defender, Phantom) Days from announce to release: 140 days

Wave 5 (2400, VT-49) Days from announce to release: 167 days

Wave 6 (MW, M3-A, Starviper, IG-2K) Days from announce to release: 196 days (this was the port delay wave)

Wave 7 (YV-666, Kihraxz, K, Punisher) Days from announce to release: 128 days

Wave 8 (Ghost, TAP, Myst, Punishing 1) Days from announce to Today: 195 days (1 day less than the port delay shipment... and its not even shipping to stores yet). 

Special Releases:

Rebels Aces: 180 days

Imperial Aces: 192 days

Imperial Veterans: 59 days and counting (estimated date of release: June 22, 2016 - 192 days total)

Epic Ship Releases:

GR-75: 254 days... wow...

Tantive IV: 276 days... even more wow.

Raider: 238 days.

Gozanti: 144 days. Impressively fast.

T-70 and Tie F/O not listed as those were special and hidden.

Whoever did this first... you inspired me (to waste time and have fun with calendar software).

I did this because I wanted to find out if Wave 8 had eclipsed the port delayed wave... and come Feb 11th 2016, it will equal it. Feb 12th is the new record for the length of time a wave has taken to reach stores (and then eventually, our grubby hands).

I posted this in the thread about Previews...

Wave 8 has now hit 198 days.

Adding in Wave 8, the average wave is announced 160 days before it is released. Roughly 23 (22.857) weeks, or as said above nearly 6 months. Half a year. That is not fast at all... That is almost glacially slow. Warmachine has a speedier release schedule, Star Trek Attack Wing (apologies for mentioning it) releases 3 ships a month on average.

So. No. Things are not coming too fast... in fact they are too slow. I've been waiting for my Ghost for 198 days.

Another way to look at it...

Since the game's initial release, there have been 41 box or blister pack releases, including Wave 8. That breaks down as:

2 core sets

3 boxed sets with multiple ships (Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, Most Wanted)

4 huge ships

9 large ships

23 small ships

The initial core set was released in September 2012. That's 41 months ago.

So there's been essentially one release a month. Far from overwhelming, I'd say. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

It's not the number of releases; it's the permutations that expand at too fast a rate.

It's not just that the K-Wing was released...  it's that it included the TLT, Miranda Doni's ability, Asege whoever's ability to give (or not give) focus to a Huge ship, the connor net, SLAM... that's one release.

To say nothing to balance of power.

I'm fine with new releases; it's rules that step on themselves that become problematic. 

And power creep, which is perhaps in the eye of the beholder, but a commonly experienced growing pain in a popular game.