Sign in to follow this  
Darthfish

Flying a stresshog

So, I love Y-wings, I always have, but I am having a hard time understanding how the stresshog works more than once. First, let me make sure we are on the same page

Goldie with TLT, R3-A2, and BTL title, correct?

Now, if I understand it right, this thing may dish out up to 3 stress per

turn, one attack with the primary, the 2 attacks with the TLT, each one

stressing the target whether it hits or not. BUT, you also take 3 stress on a ywing. A turret less Y-wing.

So, we take one of the least maneuverable ships in the game and lock it's turret forward, then pile 3 stress on it. It's never turning again, right?

Maybe you get one or 2 rounds of shooting with it, and I get that putting triple stress on an ace like soontir would doom him too. I also see that this creates a threat area to be avoided at all costs.

Since the stresshog is pretty much action less after the first round, do you just pretty much joust slowly across the map, taking a green, do you use the whites and just let the stress pile up? how do you fly this dead stick beast.

Most of all, is this the best configuration? would you better to take the TLT as a turret? I realize you max stress per round then is two but you can shoot out of arc (for damage, not stress) whenever you cannot get them in arc. So, educate me on this thing.

TLT counts as one attack, so only grants one stress even if you throw dice twice. I run a stresshog twice without the title, because of the reasons you mentioned. It works for me because turreted TLT attacks even without causing stress is better than not getting stuff in arc for several rounds.

Edited by Dwing

First off, the stresshog can inflict 2 stress per attack. R3-A2 triggers when you declare your target, and you only do that once with the TLT.

Second, you have it at the back of your formation going as slow as possible in the opening engagement to get as many shots with it as possible. If it survives the opening engagement, start pulling 2 turns to loop back around. Aside from the stress it inflicts it should also act as a psuedo Biggs, drawing fire as even with it's awful movement your opponent can't just leave it sitting out there because if it manages to turn around again...

And don't forget R3-A2 is a may ability, you don't have to trigger it. Against stuff like other Y-wings or ships that don't care as much about actions you can opt to not use it and just take a TL or something and throw dice for damage.

TLT counts as one attack, so only grants one stress even if you throw dice twice. I run a stresshog twice without the title, because of the reasons you mentioned. It works for me because turreted TLT attacks even without causing stress is better than not getting stuff in arc for several rounds.

TLT does not count as just one attack, it makes two separate attacks. The reason it only does 1 stress with R3-A2 is you skip Declare Target for the second attack, which is the step where R3-A2 triggers.

Very common point of confusion.

R3-A2 can take a stress to give a stress on the attack targeting.  (So, once for the primary gun, stress before you roll - once when you declare with the TLT - stress before you roll).

The confusion comes with a tactician with TLT.

Tactician works after the _attack_ is made versus on the declaration.  Attack with the TLT, give a stress after the attack.  Attack again with the TLT, give a stress after the attack is made.  

First, the stresshog deals 2 stress per round at R2-3 because there is only one declaration of target when shooting TLT.

Depending on the rest of your list and set up, you can self bump the stresshog to keep his opponent in front of him for an extra turn. Sometimes I like to put him behind other ships for this reason.

This is why the angle of approach is also critical. Keeping your opponents entire squad in front of you before the first engagement can provide you the ability to double stress one target then another next turn. Taking wider angles will allow you to get back into the fight quicker.

I've had matches in which I piled on 12 stress on my hog by the end of the match. It's not always a one and done deal if flown correctly. Even so against some aces it can force their actions to boost/barrel roll out of its arc so the rest of your list can shoot at a tokenless target, so it does its job even without a shot.

familiarize yourself with the 2-turn. It's the only move you'll be making for a while :P

it's also almost always the sacrificial fodder of the list, unless you play something like the heaver special and cant kill aces without it + poe

ito maneuverability + effect, it's basically the rebel shuttle. Accept that it's worthless late game and so long as it does its job, it can die satisfied

It just rolls around using 2 hards and not caring from my experience. If you resign yourself to always being stressed since it actually doesn't matter what it does other than pork an ace or two then it can fly around well enough to be a pain for a long time. Especially when you also know your victim will not be turning around usually and will be trying to dump stress hardcore since you should only double stress targets it really hurts (soontir, Vader, etc)

I fly the version using the ion turret, rather than TLT).  I fly it with Poe(AT, R5P9, Crackshot), Jansen(VI, R2D2, EU).  I live with the hard 2.  Seems at times other players consider it a prime target, because of its threats.  So in the meantime Poe and Jansen do the hard part.  Generally lose the Y-Wing, but usually for a high value ship in return.  If you try for the others and leave the Y-Wing alone it comes around again, have had as many as 8 stress on it at one time, he just lives on the hard 2.  Had fair success with it 10-3 since I started it and have a 3rd in a store championship.

I often don't use R3 on the first attack unless I get a choice priorty target like an ace in arc. Facing a Tie swarm for example does not offer many high priorty stress targets if any. First joust damage only, possibly second round if a furball results, then 4 k turn and start slow rolling with 1 moves back stressing at will. Opponents formations have broken up by this time and the stresshog can 2 turn or 3 bank to get aces or other priority targets in arc.

Also, remember that you don't actually have to use R3-A2 if you don't need to. I had a match last night where my opponent was flying a Scum swarm, and it wasn't worth putting stress on Binarye pirates when I figured I could just kill them with my cannons.

I actually got to K-turn my Stresshog in that match. It was amazing.

I've been flying stresshog for a while now, everyone above has given mostly solid advice. My only additions/deviations are that I self bump the ship a ton. It's not getting an action anyway so anything you can do to keep it firing is a plus. On that end I actually often line the ship up towards the front of my formation this gives a further no go zone for enemy ships, also, when the ship is wounded a 3 bank can often turn into a block and the hog surviving and helps to start setting up turning er around.

So, we take one of the least maneuverable ships in the game...

No, we take a Y-wing, which actually has a pretty moderate dial. And the dial actually starts to look pretty friendly if you realize the Stresshog doesn't care about trying to reduce the number of stress tokens: even when it's stressed, it has access to the entire range of maneuvers at speed 2 plus all of the bank maneuvers.

So you fly the Stresshog exactly like you're afraid you should. You take your first opportunity to assign a pair of stress tokens to something that can't handle it, and then you spend the rest of the match shooting at targets of opportunity and/or blocking at PS2. It's pretty effective, once you set aside the mindset that you have to shake your stress at the earliest opportunity.

The stresshog is awesome regardless of the movement dial. She gets tough to pilot once the shooting starts I will give you that. However, I really enjoy stressing out opponents over a couple of turns and using as a deterrent/blocker after stress has been applied. If I can bump or present it as a better target to the adversary, I have no issue losing it. Last night on a vassal match I was able to stress a Tie force. Naturally they applied focused fire, but I was able to throw a killer block with it and gum up my adversary's movement. It is a fun ship to fly for sure!  

As others have said, the Stresshog will probably be killed first. I know when I fly against it, it is usually the highest threat to my aces. With that said... when I've played the stresshog. Once I get a stress on him, I don't expect to take any more actions for the rest of the game. I also don't try to do green maneuvers to remove the stress. His job is to stress the heck out of a high value target so your other ships can destroy it.

It's a lot of fun to play. I've only come across the ion variant one time and he died before he could fire in the second round. It's bad enough to be stressed with fragile ships that need their evades and focii, I didn't want to be forced into a one forward white maneuver as well!

familiarize yourself with the 2-turn. It's the only move you'll be making for a while :P

... so the stresshog basically flies just as Soontir Fel....

:)

I tell people that all the time! Who cares if you're stressed, you've got the same 2 hard as soontir fel!

Slow roll and don't turn in too far. Know the limitations of their dial and move accordingly. If you suspect they could broll and boost out of arc then move a bit further. If you think they are close enough to try flying past you do a short maneaver.

Targeting is done with the banks or a 2 turn. Wometimes the fish gets away...