Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

To the Sea!

SWEET!  Finally we get Gandalf's ring!  Might have to make a super Gandalf deck with his numerous attachments to buff him up.

Yes, indeed!

But, what you really need to do is live the dream of playing with all three eleven ring-bearers at once! 36 starting threat? ...whatever

SWEET!  Finally we get Gandalf's ring!  Might have to make a super Gandalf deck with his numerous attachments to buff him up.

Yes, indeed!

But, what you really need to do is live the dream of playing with all three eleven ring-bearers at once! 36 starting threat? ...whatever

Who says you need Hero Gandalf and his 14 threat? OHaUH Gandalf is an even better target for Narya! 

Though if you want to run all the other Gandalf attachments then yeah, Hero Gandalf is probably a better bet. Plus, Hero Gandalf+Elrond+Vilya=insane. 

Can ally Gandalf target himself with Narya, exhaust for the cost and then ready for the effect?

It sounds wrong, but from the wording I would say this is perfectly fine, as I think (correct me if I am wrong) you are supposed to execute a card "step by step". So first you have to exhaust character + Narya, what allows you to choose up to 2 allies. At this point you are allowed to choose and ally Gandalf is exhausted, so he should be a valid target​​.

The card reads: "exhaust to choose", so you can't choose if you didn't exhaust Gandalf (in this case), and when you are allowed to choose nothing says you can't target the (completly exhausted) character, you used to pay the cost.

No garantee this is right, but it's how I understand the card and would play it.

Only Problem could be, if exhausting and choosing should happen at the same time (but from the card text it doesn't sound like this would be the case)

Edited by Calvadur

Can ally Gandalf target himself with Narya, exhaust for the cost and then ready for the effect?

Don't see why not. Like @Calvadur said you are exhausting the ring and attached character to pay the cost. Unless it states otherwise I see no reason why the exhausted Gandalf isn't eligible to be stood back up. 

Still need to deal with the 2 threat every turn but it's a powerful effect. Especially if you have other big allies available to stand. And you would still get the 4 willpower every turn from his ability. 

Interesting (from a marketing point of view) that the suggested deck is made with cards from the grey haven and the core set only, as if FFG wants to say that you don't need to have all the card pool to enjoy the new quests. Did they ever do it for Heirs of Numenor, Last Realm or Voice of Isengard?

Interesting (from a marketing point of view) that the suggested deck is made with cards from the grey haven and the core set only, as if FFG wants to say that you don't need to have all the card pool to enjoy the new quests. Did they ever do it for Heirs of Numenor, Last Realm or Voice of Isengard?

But how many core sets are they saying you need?

But how many core sets are they saying you need?

Since there is only 1 unexpected courage and 2 test of will is 1 Core set only.

I'm pretty sure they've done that with each expansion.

That's interesting. As someone who is only up through Dwarrowdelf, I was almost considering just jumping straight to Grey Havens next just so I could participate more in some of the discussions here and the go backfill the other releases over time.

I'm also tempted to splurge on a bunch of stuff just to get player cards and then start with the Grey Haven's quests. 

**** you LOTR-LCG.

It varies. The decks they posted in articles before Lost Realm was released definitely did use some other expansions (heroes included Frodo and Sam, don't remember about other deck content), but I think they try to put up decklists using not too many different expansions so it's more likely people can actually put them together with a limited card pool. I know the rulesheet for Black Riders contains a suggested decklist using only Core + Black Riders. And I'm pretty sure all the decklists they give in articles or rulesheets only assume 1 copy of the Core Set.

Still not out in UK, bah, more F5s on online game stores... not enough F5s to get it here faster!

I don't know if Grey Havens is going to be out this week in the UK but my FLGS still hasn't got Dread Realm in yet.

My FLGS doesn't even stock lotrlcg so I guess you have a leg up on me there. I'm at the whim of online retailers.

This goes all the way back to the very first Second Breakfast article:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/3/19/second-breakfast/

You'll notice that multiple core sets are needed to build this deck. There was a lot of feedback on the forums about players with one core set not being able to build this deck.

When the next Second Break article came out:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/4/12/second-breakfast-second-helpings/

It included this statement:
"Since then, several players have wondered if Caleb would be willing to post a deck built with only one copy of the game’s Core Set, and others questioned how the deck can function in multiplayer games, when the rising threats of other players’ decks would seem to render its ability to attack cards in the staging area less effective."

And the community rejoiced!