Sign in to follow this  
nigeltastic

Despite all my rage

So there's another thread discussing youngster + rage but I wanted to start a more general discussion thread about who will like this new ept. It's clearly powerful but with huge drawback of double stress.

Current clearish winners:

Tycho

Keyan

Epsilon leader for imperial combos

I also am pondering things like:

Corran Horn - rage, electronic baffle, r2d2

Rexler Brath - /d title, cannon of choice, tie engine, rage

Defenders seem like maybe o.k. choices for hit and run gameplay with hot firing cycles then an off turn. Electronic baffle ships also seem like interesting options though the damage might stack up too fast.

I almost feel like the x7 Title is the way to go with the Defender. This way you can do a fast green maneuver and still get a free Evade (since the Title reads assign instead of perform a free action), which gives you a bit of added survivability while clearing those two Stresses.

Although I'm still of the mind that PtL, Predator or Crackshot is better for a Defender. If you use Rage once, it's one turn minimum without any actions. Vessery may not care so much because of his TL shenanigans, but... since he gets TL shenanigans, why would you take Rage?

Oh, wow, didn't even think of Keyan.

Owwww....that's just about broken, that is.  He'll burn one stress shooting, the other can easily be shed via a green maneuver, so no reason NOT to just trigger this every single turn.

Although...I dunno, is it any better than PtL?  A focus + TL PtL gets you the basically-double-focus thing with the rerolls, anyway.  And you end the turn with NO stress, so...

Actually, on second thought, yeah - just stick with PtL.  This upgrade really only makes sense on pilots that have some way to double-tap, and are simultaneously not much worried about stress.  I guess a Keyan + E2 + Gunner?  Maybe?  Bit a reach....

I think the only real benefits for Keyan are 1) target freedom from not needing a lock for full modification 2) saving 2 points from push 3) immunity to Carnor shutting off good ptl options when you don't want a barrel roll. Admittedly 3 is a corner case but not a crazy one.

I think it's maybe weaker but worth at least a play through to see how it flies. Otherwise you need a double tapper who feels okay with either baffle damage or two stress which feels maybe rare.

I dunno

Tycho + PTL + Rage + Test Pilot + Experimental Interface + Prockets.

That allows you to boost, evade with PTL, then EI for a focus token and a virtual target lock (and you don't have to choose the target).  If you don't need to boost that round, you can get double Focus tokens instead since Rage is 'assign a focus' token.

I dunno.  I wouldn't give that up for VI.

Owwww....that's just about broken, that is.  He'll burn one stress shooting, the other can easily be shed via a green maneuver, so no reason NOT to just trigger this every single turn.

Although...I dunno, is it any better than PtL?  A focus + TL PtL gets you the basically-double-focus thing with the rerolls, anyway.  And you end the turn with NO stress, so...

Actually, on second thought, yeah - just stick with PtL.  This upgrade really only makes sense on pilots that have some way to double-tap, and are simultaneously not much worried about stress.  I guess a Keyan + E2 + Gunner?  Maybe?  Bit a reach....

Adv. Sensors - rage - reveal green, clear one stress, fire, spend the other stress.

Profit?

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26

Push the Limit 3

Rage 1

Proton Rockets 3

Autothrusters 2

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Ship Total: 35

Wait...psycho tycho now gets focus, the equivalent of a 3 die target lock, and a ptl action of choice every turn? Which means he can always use proton rockets and choose which other action he needs most. The only disadvantage is his pilot skill 8. Not to bad all things considered.

Edited by CynisKaden

Tycho Celchu — A-Wing 26

Push the Limit 3

Rage 1

Proton Rockets 3

Autothrusters 2

A-Wing Test Pilot 0

Ship Total: 35

Wait...psycho tycho now gets focus, the equivalent of a 3 die target lock, and a ptl action of choice every turn? Which means he can always use proton rockets and choose which other action he needs most. The only disadvantage is his pilot skill 8. Not to bad all things considered.

You might even get away with just rage and VI!

has somebody an idea for "rage", imperial use (other than youngster/hipster)?

I want to like the card, but 2 stress..? I get that "for free", from stresshogs.. seems "meh" on most ships ;)

Edited by WokeUpDead

I want to like the card, but 2 stress..? I get that "for free", from stresshogs.. seems "meh" on most ships ;)

Look into Captain Yorr as a list component.

This has a lot of skills to remember while playing but:

"Youngster" (15)
Rage (1)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

"Winged Gundark" (15)

"Backstabber" (16)

"Wampa" (14)

"Chaser" (14)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Which is why it's so cheap. Strong benefits, lots of negatives, and low squad point cost. Sure, it's not as omniversatile as Predator, Push, or Crack Shot, but it's competitively priced and will find its place. I think this will see much more play than Mindlink.

Look into Captain Yorr as a list component.

yeah, yorr has always been useful and is my goto-shuttle since .. well, since we had shuttles. have flown him till the palp-aces emerged. have avoided shuttles since then (till this weekend).

however, I don't see an ace where I like to have rage on over anything else (example: works on soontir, but i still prefer PTL). and on generics, it also feels meh (and yorr wouldn't do much good when used multiple times). 

phantoms generally don't want it, either; -maaaaaybe- vader (with yorr or newtiekid-stresseater it -might- be bearable).

leavies TIEs, and it's really not that golden on most of these without hipster.. 

Run with Ezra or Kanan crew. With Ezra you get crits and with Kanan you get those delicious 2 turns to be green. Rage all day, you'll still shed it. Same applies to PtL/Ezra, of course...

Would anyone consider Rage on a /D Glaive Squadron Defender?

Stress on a Defender is always painful, but Rage is still a way to transform you into Colonel Vessery for a turn and still get a focus for defense. Pair with Epsilon Leader and TIE Mk. 2, maybe a TIE Shuttle with Fleet Officer, or Yorr to take some of the sting off.

If Countess Ryad has an ability that ignores stress somehow and has an EPT slot, she might start getting pretty angry.