Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Boba Fett Crew

In a 100 point game, the best case for Boba Fett Crew really paying dividends is through an Advanced Homing Missile, probably against a shuttle.  But even in that case, you HAVE to be exactly at Range 2, and your opponents is going to know that.  If you aren't sneaking that damage in via an Adv Homing Missile, then you are likely going to have to bring down all the shields first and THEN deal damage cards.   Very few ships will survive this.   Typically, once you've brought down the shields on a ship and are dealing damage cards, the ship doesn't have long to live regardless. 

In most cases you will prevent one round of the Emperor.... and I'm guessing that when you begin combat and it looks like that might happen... that players is USING the emperor's ability the first chance they get - so it might not prevent anything at all.  I think 1 point really is the sweet spot here, though I COULD understand 2 points for the mental intimidation factor, but that will wear off eventually. 

Others have sort of done this already, but I want to address the idea of "if you do a crit to X, X is basically already dead", with X having values from Soontir Fel, to Fat Han.  

1.) If you have any expectation of winning a game, you have ways to land hits on tough ships.

2.) If you only activate Boba when the target has a single hit point left, you can stop it from doing things like:

-Arc dodging

-Doing as much damage to you

-Regenerating

-Defending against your future attacks

-Lots of other things

3.) Stopping one of these things for one turn on almost any ship, even opportunistically, is worth 1 point, and can certainly win you a game.  For example, you slip a crit through out Fat Han when he has 3 hp left and kill his Engine Upgrade.  Now he can't arc dodge as well, and it's much easier to bring the necessary guns into play to finish him off.  

I think 1 point really is the sweet spot here

I agree, his ability is fairly powerful but it's so situational and fairly difficult to use and by the time you can, the game may very well be close to over.

Any more than 1 point would IMO be too much and make it a seldom used upgrade. But for 1 point I could see him being included in a number of S&V builds, depending on room for crew.

In a 100 point game, the best case for Boba Fett Crew really paying dividends is through an Advanced Homing Missile, probably against a shuttle.  But even in that case, you HAVE to be exactly at Range 2, and your opponents is going to know that.  If you aren't sneaking that damage in via an Adv Homing Missile, then you are likely going to have to bring down all the shields first and THEN deal damage cards.   Very few ships will survive this.   Typically, once you've brought down the shields on a ship and are dealing damage cards, the ship doesn't have long to live regardless. 

In most cases you will prevent one round of the Emperor.... and I'm guessing that when you begin combat and it looks like that might happen... that players is USING the emperor's ability the first chance they get - so it might not prevent anything at all.  I think 1 point really is the sweet spot here, though I COULD understand 2 points for the mental intimidation factor, but that will wear off eventually. 

Decimators.  Palp Decimators are the prime Boba targets.  Decimators are easy to crit, easy to strip the shields off, and can potentially live a long time against a two- or three-ship list, so abducting Palp froom them is going to do a lot to that list.

But I think this discounts the real effectiveness of Boba as a psychological tool.  He's an absolute terror, because you know that if he can get a crit on you, you can say goodbye to the most effective part of that ship, whatever it may be, unless it's naked or it's used everything.

note, not building around Boba means not only not going HAM on crit tech, but also not compromising builds

for example, say you're playing Dengar. You want to make Dengar last because he's an expensive PWT with a high PS that can carry the late game. You would not put a one-shot upgrade on him outside of glitterstim

by contrast, a generic scout rocking out with proton torpedoes? no reason not to boba :P

putting boba on cheaper generics capitalizes on his ace-crippling ability and his Biggs-esque effect by directing fire away from your other, more important forces

Edited by ficklegreendice

Decimators.  Palp Decimators are the prime Boba targets.  Decimators are easy to crit, easy to strip the shields off, and can potentially live a long time against a two- or three-ship list, so abducting Palp froom them is going to do a lot to that list.

But I think this discounts the real effectiveness of Boba as a psychological tool.  He's an absolute terror, because you know that if he can get a crit on you, you can say goodbye to the most effective part of that ship, whatever it may be, unless it's naked or it's used everything.

I don't agree that Palp Decimators are even really a thing.   A Decimator is really easy to focus down, provided you aren't running a 2-ship build.   If ANYONE throws Palp on a Decimator, I instantly have my #1 target, since I can easily score at least 48 points by going after an easy target that won't be able to dodge hardly any of my attacks.  A Palp Decimator will be dead on the 2nd round of shooting, so I don't need Boba for that. 

I think the biggest opportunities for Boba are more likely going to end up being shield regen astromechs, and Secondary weapons on high hull ships.  Granted if you are facing the empire you probably aren't facing either of those so naturally palps if you can. 

Oh and by the way.... Boba does NOT break the game.   If ANY card from this expansion breaks the game, it's Zuckuss crew.   Honestly he is sick sick sick nasty for only 1 point... I just can't even wrap my head around how awesome that guy is.  Worthy of a whole 'nother thread. 

Everyone keeps bringing up Adv Homing missile.  Guys... all you ahve to do to is shoot a concussion missile with a 3 die carrier with Guidance Chips, IT GIVES YOU A CRIT.  which is likely to go through.  If he still has shield, fine! wait a turn for him to lose shields first! 

Oh and by the way.... Boba does NOT break the game.   If ANY card from this expansion breaks the game, it's Zuckuss crew.   Honestly he is sick sick sick nasty for only 1 point... I just can't even wrap my head around how awesome that guy is.  Worthy of a whole 'nother thread. 

I agree...

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/202260-zuckuss-crew/

I agree that Boba Fett, at this point, looks like a balanced upgrade. He can be extremely efficient, but in more than a few games he will hardly trigger at all.

However, I do see one problem with this upgrade. When I played MTG, I used mainly blue cards. This color has a lot of universal counters to other cards; a counterspell could basically mess up anything. These counters were so universal that I started depending on them whatever combination of cards I played, I just couldn't get away from these spells. There was hardly a deck I could build where these counters did not fit in. This made each deck less unique.

Boba Fett might have a similar effect. He's just one point and can seriously disrupt most opposing lists; one hit with an AHM and Boba, and any list could see vital elements lost. If a scum player is going to face a string of diverse lists, I wonder if he can ever afford to leave Boba at home. In a practical sense, these 'universal insurance' cards have a tendency to constrain choice.

The flip side is that many lists will have to account for Boba. Lists that strongly depend on one card - it can easily be Palpatine, Kanan, or Zuckuss - will need to think about backup plans. I like that.

I don't agree that Palp Decimators are even really a thing.   A Decimator is really easy to focus down, provided you aren't running a 2-ship build.   If ANYONE throws Palp on a Decimator, I instantly have my #1 target, since I can easily score at least 48 points by going after an easy target that won't be able to dodge hardly any of my attacks.  A Palp Decimator will be dead on the 2nd round of shooting, so I don't need Boba for that. 

I think the biggest opportunities for Boba are more likely going to end up being shield regen astromechs, and Secondary weapons on high hull ships.  Granted if you are facing the empire you probably aren't facing either of those so naturally palps if you can. 

VI Chiraneau/Palpatine/Gunner/EU with Vader/VI/ATC/x1/EU is the specific build I've been having trouble with.  It throws extremely consistent damage at high PS and can arcdodge most things.  I've been running OL/Soontir/Whisper and really struggling against it specifically, because sure, I can focus fown the deci in two rounds - if it is in all three arcs and the most vulnerable, most damaging one doesn't die before shooting, which is very easy to do with Whisper when you lose the PS race twice.

It's not unbeatable, but it's tough with the kinds of lists I favour.

I'm looking forward to running VI Dengar/VI Talonbane and a blocker just to get both ships moving before Chirpy and murder Palp before he can act.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Results of this Store Championship season disagree with you, there were quite a few RAC/Kenkirk + Whisper builds placing well that have Palpatine on the Deci. Not dominating, but it certainly has a meta presence.

I agree that Boba Fett, at this point, looks like a balanced upgrade. He can be extremely efficient, but in more than a few games he will hardly trigger at all.

However, I do see one problem with this upgrade. When I played MTG, I used mainly blue cards. This color has a lot of universal counters to other cards; a counterspell could basically mess up anything. These counters were so universal that I started depending on them whatever combination of cards I played, I just couldn't get away from these spells. There was hardly a deck I could build where these counters did not fit in. This made each deck less unique.

Boba Fett might have a similar effect. He's just one point and can seriously disrupt most opposing lists; one hit with an AHM and Boba, and any list could see vital elements lost. If a scum player is going to face a string of diverse lists, I wonder if he can ever afford to leave Boba at home. In a practical sense, these 'universal insurance' cards have a tendency to constrain choice.

The flip side is that many lists will have to account for Boba. Lists that strongly depend on one card - it can easily be Palpatine, Kanan, or Zuckuss - will need to think about backup plans. I like that.

I'll probably never run boba in almost any list that's not using a YV-666.  Every other scum ship with a crew slot only has *1* crew slot, so I'll rarely use that slot for boba unless for some reason I'm not already using it for another crew.  On the YV you at least have 3 slots so you can have boba and still have a couple others.  Even then I won't always use him.

I agree that outside YV-666 you basically have to build the ship around Boba or you risk wasting your only crew slot. On YV, he is IMHO close to auto-include as he's cheap, can really mess up the enemy plan and you still have 2 crew to work with. I'm not a Scum player, however, so this is pure theory on my part.

I can only imagine how this actually pans out on the bridge. 

They are right on us, we have one opportune shot on Soontir.   

That's it fire the Boba Fett!!!  But only if we can crit... And after we actually find out if we hit, and one of them is a crit. 

This is a dangerous direction in the meta.

Being able to remove cards from opponent's ships is one of the places where STAW started to go really wrong.

Sorry, but if you believe that, then you don't play much STAW.  There are many gigantic problems with STAW, but removing opponent's upgrades is far from being one of them.

What happens when you discard a title such as A-wing test pilot

Same ruling with Integrated Astro and the EPT droid. Nothing happens. You don't lose the extra EPT.

funnily enough if you discard Dash's HLC because he has Outrider, he is unable to attack.... like at all.

No. When Dash loses his secondary weapon (cannon), he reverts back to his 2 die primary. The Outrider title even says if you have a cannon equipped, he cannot use his primary. But taking away his cannon means he no longer has a cannon equipped.

Yeah a 40/50pt build suddenly going from 4 dice 360 to 2 dice 360 is pretty harsh. Especially as most lists like that will be built around Dash doing a lot of the work.

If your list has a 40-50 point ship that isn't doing a lot of the work, you might need to rethink your list.

Oh, hello boba Fett... Oh no! You took off my HLC on my outrider! Now Dash Rendar can't shoot! Oh well, I hope you like a barrel-rolling-blocker that doesn't care about obstacles...muwahahaha...