Sign in to follow this  
pbpanchotest

Punishing One Preview!

Late release kills most of my chances for a late Store Championship with Guidance Chip.     

Every single store championship in this country is on a day I'm working. It's killing my soul, but at least I gave up the idea of taking TAPs to the store champs.

Interesting rules interaction between R5-P8 and Greedo.

Greedo

"The first time you attack each round and the first time you defend each round, the first Damage card dealt is dealt faceup."

R5-P8 

"Once per round, after defending, you may roll 1 attack die. On a [boom] result, the attacker suffers 1 damage. On a [kaboom] result, you and the attacker each suffer 1 damage."

So, let's say Soontir (no shield upgrade) shoots at Manaroo as the first attack of the game.  The attack deals three damage and removes three shields.  Defender chooses to activate R5-P8 and rolls a hit.  Soontir receives 1 damage.

• Greedo procs on first time you defend.
  • First (and only) damage card was dealt to Soontir
  • Damage card is dealt face-up?  RAW seem to be clear that the answer is yes.

​Here's the ugly case.  Soontir deals four damage removing all shields.  Defender activates R5-P8 and rolls a crit.  Who gets the first damage card?

Havnt read very far to see if its been said already but this doesnt work. R5-P8 is NOT an attack, so Greedo wont cause its card to be face up.

Correct but they are questioning if R5-P8 triggers Greedo on the defense, as it does technically happen after defending. So the opponent shoots you, doesn't deal a damage card, you defend and trigger R5-P8, roll a hit, and deal a damage card to them, and Greedo flips it face up as it is the first damage card dealt while you are defending.

Everyone pretty much knows how Greedo works. When you take a damage after defending the first card is face up, and when you attack the first damage card is face up. There is no grey area here, its plain as day on Greedo's card.

Hmmmm...... Rage.... I wonder if FFG was reading the forum and is now prepping us for a Kylo Ren release...

Seeing as how on point previous Sith crews have been (Vader & Emperor), I cannot wait for a Kylo Ren crew.

HIDE YOUR CONSOLES!

THEIR DAYS ARE COUNTED!

Like Vader but not quite: does one face up damage to you and two face down damage to the defender.

For extra lulz the crit you take is always 'Console Fire'.

Greedo

"The first time you attack each round and the first time you defend each round, the first Damage card dealt is dealt faceup."

R5-P8 

"Once per round, after defending, you may roll 1 attack die. On a [boom] result, the attacker suffers 1 damage. On a [kaboom] result, you and the attacker each suffer 1 damage."

So, let's say Soontir (no shield upgrade) shoots at Manaroo as the first attack of the game.  The attack deals three damage and removes three shields.  Defender chooses to activate R5-P8 and rolls a hit.  Soontir receives 1 damage.

​Here's the ugly case.  Soontir deals four damage removing all shields.  Defender activates R5-P8 and rolls a crit.  Who gets the first damage card?

Havnt read very far to see if its been said already but this doesnt work. R5-P8 is NOT an attack, so Greedo wont cause its card to be face up.

Correct but they are questioning if R5-P8 triggers Greedo on the defense, as it does technically happen after defending. So the opponent shoots you, doesn't deal a damage card, you defend and trigger R5-P8, roll a hit, and deal a damage card to them, and Greedo flips it face up as it is the first damage card dealt while you are defending.

Everyone pretty much knows how Greedo works. When you take a damage after defending the first card is face up, and when you attack the first damage card is face up. There is no grey area here, its plain as day on Greedo's card.

Actually, Greedo does not specify that you must be the one to take the damage when he triggers on defense. It just indicates you must be the one defending. Obviously the intent is for you to be getting the damage. And I personally don't think an attack which deals no damage card to you, but does to the defender with a hit roll with R5-P8, would deal it face up if you have Greedo as crew.  It seems that window is closed as R5-P8 indicates it happens after defending, and Greedo seems to occur within the defending window.

But, I can definitely see why someone could make the argument that it could deal a face up damage card to the attacker in this case, because that would be the first damage card dealt as you are defending.

Edited by Kdubb

I know there is some sort of system for how long for status changes and when a Wave is released based on final preview.

Is there? I've never noticed any such pattern.

But I do remember some waves that hit stores only a week or so after the last preview article, and others that didn't show up for months.

Edited by Forgottenlore

Greedo

R5-P8 

Greedo can only trigger during an attack or when someone is defending against an attack. The damaging effect of R5-P8 is not an attack therefore Greedo cannot trigger when cards are dealt at that time. 

It doesn't matter that the player with R5-P8 is rolling an "attack die" it isn't considered an "attack". It's just like Anti Pursuit Lasers in that regard. The window to use R5-P8 does indeed trigger during the attack phase but that doesn't make the resolution of the effect an attack.

Edit: after giving this a little more thought I do see where people are coming from on why Greedo could trigger off of R5-P8 but I think that is unnecessarily convoluted.  

Edited by Galactic Funk

Anyone else think the Mindlink is borderline unusable on certain sorts of ships? I hope you never need to K-turn in formation...

Shhh. I'm looking forward to flying a bunch of tansarii vets off the map at store champs next month.

"Alright, I'll do a 5 k-turn with him, and with him I'll-"

"He has mindlink. They both get stress."

"Oh! Of course, of course! 

Oh... Ya.

Well, good game! Good luck in next round!"

I laughed so hard at this! I wonder how many people will make that mistake the first time?

Greedo

R5-P8 

Greedo can only trigger during an attack or when someone is defending against an attack. The damaging effect of R5-P8 is not an attack therefore Greedo cannot trigger when cards are dealt at that time. 

It doesn't matter that the player with R5-P8 is rolling an "attack die" it isn't considered an "attack". It's just like Anti Pursuit Lasers in that regard. The window to use R5-P8 does indeed trigger during the attack phase but that doesn't make the resolution of the effect an attack.

Again, you guys are getting it backwards of what the original comment is referencing. He is referencing R5-P8 triggering Greedo on the defense trigger of Greedo, as Greedo does not indicate the damage card dealt on defense must be done to the defender. It just says the first damage card dealt your first time defending, which R5-P8 could inflict on the attacker if the window for Greedo's ability is still open when the damage card for R5-P8 is dealt (which I believe it is not, so this discussion may turn out to be moot anyways).

Here is the order of events that would occur if Greedo is active still when R5-P8 deals a damage card.

Player 1's Soontir Fel attacks Player 2's Dengar, who is equipped with Greedo and R5-P8

Soontir Fel deals 1 damage to Dengar's shield. R5-P8 triggers.

Player 2 rolls for R5-P8. He rolls a hit. He deals a damage card to Soontir Fel face up.

This is the first damage card dealt during Dengar's first time defending. Therefore, Greedo triggers and the damage card is dealt face up as Greedo specifies "the first time you (Dengar) defend each round (which he did), the first Damage card dealt (which was dealt to Soontir Fel through R5-P8) is dealt faceup.".

Edited by Kdubb

Greedo

R5-P8 

Again, you guys are getting it backwards of what the original comment is referencing. He is referencing R5-P8 triggering Greedo on the defense trigger of Greedo, as Greedo does not indicate the damage card dealt on defense must be done to the defender. It just says the first damage card dealt your first time defending, which R5-P8 could inflict on the attacker if the window for Greedo's ability is still open when the damage card for R5-P8 is dealt (which I believe it is not, so this discussion may turn out to be moot anyways).

Here is the order of events that would occur if Greedo is active still when R5-P8 deals a damage card.

Player 1's Soontir Fel attacks Player 2's Dengar, who is equipped with Greedo and R5-P8

Player 2 rolls for R5-P8. He rolls a hit. He deals a damage card to Soontir Fel face up.

This is the first damage card dealt during Dengar's first time defending. Therefore, Greedo triggers and the damage card is dealt face up as Greedo specifies "the first time you (Dengar) defend each round (which he did), the first Damage card dealt (which was dealt to Soontir Fel through R5-P8) is dealt faceup.".

Yeah, I realized what people were getting at and edited my post to note that.

And again, if FFG rules that Greedo triggers off of the damage dealt via R5-P8 then it will be more convoluted than it needs to be. Make it resolve independently of Greedo. There's no downside to that ruling for future precedent.

And on another note, why in the hell would you ever let Greedo within a country mile of your Jumpmaster to begin with? Greedo and Boba together on the YV-666? Sure. Punishing One? No thanks. There are way better options out there than that,

Edited by Galactic Funk

The damage card is not dealt during Dengar's defending.  It is dealt after that (see text on R5-P8 card). Therefore, Greedo does not trigger.

The damage card is not dealt during Dengar's defending.  It is dealt after that (see text on R5-P8 card). Therefore, Greedo does not trigger.

That's the general consensus methinks but an official ruling would be appreciated.

No disagreement here. I just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on what was being discussed (note my big if before I went into that sequence). I as well believe it wouldn't trigger because R5-P8 indicates it happens after the defending. Greedo's time window is a little more fuzzy, but I think it's clear enough that you know it shouldn't trigger on R5-P8's damage.

All this talk of R5 on a jumpmaster. I really think with so much stress around at the min that you would be foolish to take anything other than an unhindged on it.

If you have ways to work around the stress (Manaroo, Lone Wolf, Predator, K4 Security Droid, Dengar Crew, Mindlink with an unstressed ally, etc), then there's no reason to automatically for the Unhinged.

Tel Trevura

Gonk 

R5-P8 

Kill a ship without ever firing at it. Soontir is not a fan.

r5-p8

feedback

anti-pursuit lasers

"pacifist" build ;)

Fantastic! Such a scummy build. FFG really outdid themselves with this one. 

wait wait

forgot intimidation

Now what would his squad mate be?