Sign in to follow this  
pbpanchotest

Punishing One Preview!

Maybe a stupid question, but I will ask it as no one else has.. Who would pay the 12 points for the extra firepower? 

Anyone playing Dengar most likely. Tel Trevura as well probably (since is the Jumpmaster pilot most likely to play like a traditional fat PWT)

Reason I believe the Ghost is DOA in a competitive sense is that it is a large base ship with zero agility and can only fire forwards unless the other ship you have is docked inside you.

you have some good points, but people declared the Shuttle DOA as well, not for the same exact reasons but there was little question here it was never going to be seen at tournaments.The point being, until the ship is actually released it's hard to make any serious judgments about it.

If the shuttle had 4 red dice, a k-turn and a turret upgrade for an autoblaster range 1 death bubble it would have been solid out of the gates.

Anyone who thinks Ghost is DOA just hasn't seen it used correctly. I've only ever lost 1 game with dual ghosts.

Reason I believe the Ghost is DOA in a competitive sense is that it is a large base ship with zero agility and can only fire forwards unless the other ship you have is docked inside you.

you have some good points, but people declared the Shuttle DOA as well, not for the same exact reasons but there was little question here it was never going to be seen at tournaments.The point being, until the ship is actually released it's hard to make any serious judgments about it.

If the shuttle had 4 red dice, a k-turn and a turret upgrade for an autoblaster range 1 death bubble it would have been solid out of the gates.

Anyone who thinks Ghost is DOA just hasn't seen it used correctly. I've only ever lost 1 game with dual ghosts.

What double ghost list you flying?

Interesting rules interaction between R5-P8 and Greedo.

Greedo

"The first time you attack each round and the first time you defend each round, the first Damage card dealt is dealt faceup."

R5-P8 

"Once per round, after defending, you may roll 1 attack die. On a [boom] result, the attacker suffers 1 damage. On a [kaboom] result, you and the attacker each suffer 1 damage."

So, let's say Soontir (no shield upgrade) shoots at Manaroo as the first attack of the game.  The attack deals three damage and removes three shields.  Defender chooses to activate R5-P8 and rolls a hit.  Soontir receives 1 damage.

• Greedo procs on first time you defend.
  • First (and only) damage card was dealt to Soontir
  • Damage card is dealt face-up?  RAW seem to be clear that the answer is yes.

​Here's the ugly case.  Soontir deals four damage removing all shields.  Defender activates R5-P8 and rolls a crit.  Who gets the first damage card?

Edited by gamblertuba

What double ghost list you flying?

Who ya gonna call? (100)

"Chopper" (50) - VCX-100

Fire Control System (2), Autoblaster Turret (2), Gunner (5), Tactician (2), Ion Projector (2)

Hera Syndulla (50) - VCX-100

Fire Control System (2), Autoblaster Turret (2), Gunner (5), "Zeb" Orrelios (1)

You are an evil, evil person. That's delectable.

There is a lot of Soontir hate here.  Sadly, all other interceptors are hit just as hard and are more difficult to run already. 

anyone know or have an idea what the two cardsthat were blocked are.

Something to the tune of "Overcharged Astromech", it's still unspoiled.

I've been guessing "Overclocked Astromech" or Aggromech... hard to say. 

There is a lot of Soontir hate here.  Sadly, all other interceptors are hit just as hard and are more difficult to run already. 

anyone know or have an idea what the two cardsthat were blocked are.

Something to the tune of "Overcharged Astromech", it's still unspoiled.

I've been guessing "Overclocked Astromech" or Aggromech... hard to say.

Something like discard for an extra red dice or shield maybe.

How many games have you played though? 1 of 1 is not very good. :) (joking).

As with anything, this is purely speculation and based on the Decimator which is kind of the closest thing we have to it, if you remove it's 360 fire arc it suffers quite badly and just doesn't last long.

With the comment about the shuttle, I personally didn't see many shuttles besides Niko flying four of them to prove a point, prior to Palp being released. Even then, it still only costs 29 or so points, not the 40 - 60 points the VCX is expected to pull.

The cards in the jumpy hate all fat ships equally

Dengar is not "soontir only" and boba can hit far more crucial upgrades (TLT) than soontir's ptl

The boys over in the misthunter are green dice hate, but even then soontir's double focus basically checks both. Other nonpoe pilots are not so lucky

Greedo

"The first time you attack each round and the first time you defend each round, the first Damage card dealt is dealt faceup."

R5-P8 

"Once per round, after defending, you may roll 1 attack die. On a [boom] result, the attacker suffers 1 damage. On a [kaboom] result, you and the attacker each suffer 1 damage."

So, let's say Soontir (no shield upgrade) shoots at Manaroo as the first attack of the game.  The attack deals three damage and removes three shields.  Defender chooses to activate R5-P8 and rolls a hit.  Soontir receives 1 damage.

​Here's the ugly case.  Soontir deals four damage removing all shields.  Defender activates R5-P8 and rolls a crit.  Who gets the first damage card?

I believe R5-P8 would be a different event from attacking or defending, so Greedo would not proc as it doesn't apply. The card says "after" attacking or defending.

Greedo

R5-P8 

I believe R5-P8 would be a different event from attacking or defending, so Greedo would not proc as it doesn't apply. The card says "after" attacking or defending.

Except that you defended before R5-P8 triggered, and if you only lost shields but the attacker receives a card from the astro, that's the first and only card received after you're done defending.

edit: also re: rolling a crit with the astro alongside Greedo and getting a crit, pretty sure whoever has initiative gets to decide the order of simultaneous abilities right?

Edited by Tsiegtiez

Greedo

R5-P8 

Except that you defended before R5-P8 triggered, and if you only lost shields but the attacker receives a card from the astro, that's the first and only card received after you're done defending.

edit: also re: rolling a crit with the astro alongside Greedo and getting a crit, pretty sure whoever has initiative gets to decide the order of simultaneous abilities right?

Hmm I would have thought Greedo's ability only applies to the first attack or defend event, not anything after it.

Maybe a stupid question, but I will ask it as no one else has.. Who would pay the 12 points for the extra firepower? 

Anyone playing Dengar most likely. Tel Trevura as well probably (since is the Jumpmaster pilot most likely to play like a traditional fat PWT)

You know, the generic would only be 37 pts with title.  Why not go with a large based ship with 3 attack in a turret?  it's a lot of hits to get through and it dishes out the damage.  Might be good for blocking and such.  

I'd say the only reason you DON'T want to use the title is if you are going with a U-boat (all torpedoes).

Greedo

R5-P8 

think that RogerWilco15 is probably correct.  The deal damage step is the final step of Attack/Defend process.  R5-P8 starts an entirely new procedure which is no longer part of defending an attack so Greedo would not trigger.

Do we have official ruling on Greedo and Feedback Array?  That could be a bit of a precedent sort of.

Greedo

R5-P8 

Havnt read very far to see if its been said already but this doesnt work. R5-P8 is NOT an attack, so Greedo wont cause its card to be face up.

Hmm I would have thought Greedo's ability only applies to the first attack or defend event, not anything after it.

Hm, the wording of R5-P8 seems to leave a case for saying Greedo's window is closed by the time R5 activates.

I'd like a FAQ on this now honestly.

I don't think it needs a FAQ entry. Greedo's ability works "The first you attack each round and the first time you defend each round..." R5-P8 does not happen as part of your first attack or first defense each round, because it's not an attack or a defense.