Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Once Scum catches up...

So once scum catches up to the Rebels and Imperials... will waves have only 3 ships? 

Scum is awfully close to having the same number of ship-types as the Imperials.  (I'm going based off of known ship types, from the yet another squad builder page).   They are 1 behind the Imps and 2 Behind the Rebels, but Rebels will probably ALWAYS have 1 more due to the Ghost/Phantom expac being 2 ships. 

So if the next wave announced follows the same pattern of 2 scum, 1 Reb, 1 Imp, then we'll be all caught up.   What then?  Scum Aces?   Scum Huge ships?   Waves of 6?   (2 each)?

1 of each would be fine in my book. And for whatever reason, I thought the Scum were already caught up, or would be with the Mist Hunter and Jumpmaster (presuming you are counting Z95s, HWKs, Y-Wings, Firesprays for all eligible factions). Ideally, it would be 2 3-ship waves per year, mixed in with special Aces or other thematic packages, and the occasional Epic. I'm sure FFG doesn't want to slow down, but we are perhaps already at the point of oversaturation of roles and limited remaining design space for unique craft. At this point, it's new stuff from the new movies or Rebels, and a handful of remaining "Fan Service" additions from the EU/Legends, depending on what Disney will allow. I am more than happy with what we have and have had limited interest in the last couple waves.

Edited by R2ShihTzu

Yes I am counting the existing ships (HWK, Firespray, etc).   Went off of the Yet Another Squad Builder count, and that includes this next wave.   Scum is only 1 ship behind the pack now...  however they are farther behind in terms of diversity.  Rebels and Imps have each had an ACES pack and 2 HUGE ships, all of which have included fixes and extra pilots for existing ships.  Scum is going to need some aces I think.  

"Limited remaining design space"?!?!

With ways that the new cards are tweaking design?  Two action on a 'mech crew? Crew that can discard another pilot's upgrade? Totally new amazing ideas.  Yes, one is regen for a different faction, but works in a completely different fashion than any other.  Paul Heaver's card? Awesome and scary! Nah, I think we are good on design space for a long time to come... 

considering the main story in Star Wars is imp vs reb. I have no problem with scum being a smaller fraction (although I play more scum than anything else)

I disagree.   The Main Story of Star Wars is the Skywalker Family.   Only 1/3rd of the timeline is rebels vs imperials.   The prequels are separatists vs Republic, and the Disney Trilogy is Resistance vs First Order. 

I think FFG is going to find themselves in a tricksy position soon. All iconic ships have been released. They're digging deeper into the EU to find content but even that pool is limited. Agreed, there are places we can go with new upgrades and pilots but what will they release them with? A recent thread showed mixed interest in buying repaints.

I argue that FFG will move towards a different design space: Thematic/Scenario play. This will allow them to produce turrets, AT-ATs, asteroids, etc with accompanying content without changing the current game .. just like Epic.

The Clone Wars Miniatures Game.

I know, it's not going to happen, but I can dream.

I wouldn't be so sure, if the future movies add as little as tfo did it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them do a republic/trade fed faction in the med to long term future. Edited by Ralgon

I think FFG is going to find themselves in a tricksy position soon. All iconic ships have been released. They're digging deeper into the EU to find content but even that pool is limited. Agreed, there are places we can go with new upgrades and pilots but what will they release them with? A recent thread showed mixed interest in buying repaints.

I argue that FFG will move towards a different design space: Thematic/Scenario play. This will allow them to produce turrets, AT-ATs, asteroids, etc with accompanying content without changing the current game .. just like Epic.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see new ships in Rogue One that could have an impact on the design space.  Obviously VII was a wash, which was a shame, but I would think that going to that point in the story we may see a lot of diversity.  And, once all of the canon space is hashed out more, I would imagine we will see more and more EU getting canonized or included with minor alterations that will push forward more and more ships.  If nothing else, they can always go with what they have in the RPG books, which is a vast amount of content that they pretty much already have licensed in one form or another.  

As for design space, I don't think so.  This is already included in each of the ships anyway, but it is not what has made X-Wing the extremely popular game it has become.  That model is centered around the dogfight and yet manages to include the cinematic moments along with having places in Epic.  But this game doesn't fly off the shelves for cinematic or Epic content, much as many of us enjoy that aspect.  It is the face-to-face that has put so many seats at the tables and sells out expansion packs.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see new ships in Rogue One that could have an impact on the design space.  Obviously VII was a wash, which was a shame, but I would think that going to that point in the story we may see a lot of diversity.  And, once all of the canon space is hashed out more, I would imagine we will see more and more EU getting canonized or included with minor alterations that will push forward more and more ships.  If nothing else, they can always go with what they have in the RPG books, which is a vast amount of content that they pretty much already have licensed in one form or another.  

As for design space, I don't think so.  This is already included in each of the ships anyway, but it is not what has made X-Wing the extremely popular game it has become.  That model is centered around the dogfight and yet manages to include the cinematic moments along with having places in Epic.  But this game doesn't fly off the shelves for cinematic or Epic content, much as many of us enjoy that aspect.  It is the face-to-face that has put so many seats at the tables and sells out expansion packs.

You have some valid points. I completely agree that the new movies will produce more ships for us. I think only a fool would argue otherwise. Outside of new material being introduced in the movies/rebels, I can't see many more options. I've been a huge SW fan my entire life. I've read countless books, I don't want to think how many hours of SW related games I've lost my life to and watched nearly every fan film on Youtube .. yet even some of the newer ships are obscure to me.

I can appreciate that the straight up 100pt DM with 6 asteroids is the staple .. but I can't help but think there might be an opportunity other areas. Epic is out of reach for some due to the cost and availability of games. Possible scenario or thematic packs might help breath some life into to the game at more affordable entry point.

The Clone Wars Miniatures Game.

I know, it's not going to happen, but I can dream.

I wouldn't be so sure, if the future movies add as little as tfo did it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them do a republic/trade fed faction in the med to long term future.

but TFA sucks scyks so hard...

daym

Marketing, be damned!

Edited by Warpman

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see new ships in Rogue One that could have an impact on the design space...

Well, at the very least we'll be seeing another repainted X-Wing...

Somehow FFG has got me to buy an x-wing in 5 different packages and I was happy every time... I... may need an intervention

the main story in Star Wars is imp vs reb.

Zog them, We fight for CREDITS!

Ace pack!

Veteran pack!

True size YV-666!

Crusader?

Star Jewel?

3-crew Hutt card the size of a pilot card, flipped to the side!

The YV-666 is to scale same as the HWK is. Just because an early now questionable source got it wrong doesn't change this. Nothing new to see here move along. Edited by Rambler

Once scum catches up? ..... forth faction.

I doubt we'll see a set formula for waves if they just keep with the same thing every wave people will get bored.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some episode 1-3 ships sneaking into the mix.

Scum huge ships are pretty likely will we see more huge ships after them though?

Anything new Disney is pushing they will have to make otherwise the great mouse house might get upset.

I would love to see a campaign book or something like that to replace all the slips of mission paper at least. But I think there might be reasons that make them want to keep x-wing from becoming a narrative game like imperial assault.

Get those co-op guys on board and do a co-op book for each faction and make some AI dials or software apps for the enemy ships?

Oh and they should make up some new ships I wanna see whole wave of completely original FFG x-wing miniatures game designed ships.