Sign in to follow this  
HappyDaze

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong...

Has anybody compared the Lannik entry from Keeping the Peace (FaD) with the one from Lead by Example (AoR)? The two entries are almost alike except that the one from Keeping starts with 100 XP and the species feature of Indomitable removes two Setback dice compared to the one from Lead which starts with 95 XP and an Indomitable feature that removes one Setback die.

Is it just me or are the later species (other than human) slightly more powerful than earlier species?

Eye of the beholder.

But I think it's also a case of the writers being more comfortable with the system and thus more willing to take "risks" in terms of what sorts of qualities a species gets.  Sometimes a species ends up on the powerful end of things, sometimes not.

Has anybody compared the Lannik entry from Keeping the Peace (FaD) with the one from Lead by Example (AoR)? The two entries are almost alike except that the one from Keeping starts with 100 XP and the species feature of Indomitable removes two Setback dice compared to the one from Lead which starts with 95 XP and an Indomitable feature that removes one Setback die.

Squadron 66 did playtesting for both books, and the Lannik write-ups in the two playtest docs were quite different from one another, something that took us by surprise.  If I had to guess, given how different the stats wound up from the playtest versions, there was probably some last-minute tweaks being made, some of which may not have made it into Keeping the Peace by the time it went to the printers.

Personally, I'd go with the Lead by Example version as being the more accurate, as the removing of setback die from a whole host of otherwise debilitating conditions is pretty good, with removing two setback almost bordering on being too good in my opinion.

Still, it is a bit disappointing to have bought a brand new book, and immediately see some of its content in need of an update in the following book.

Especially when it comes to species which tend to get repeated across lines (which is something I personally don't mind, but some people see as problematic already), and in the light of the lack of digital versions (which I know is not FFG's fault).

Such things make me  grumpy :/ 

Having three separate "product lines" for one setting/game increases the risks of this sort of thing. 

In FFG's defense, this is the first time such a thing has occurred.  That it hasn't occurred previously in spite of a few species showing up in multiple books (Duros and Quarren to name two) is an indication that they're usually on top of this sort of thing.

Again, if I had to guess, the root cause is that the Lannik stats probably weren't entirely ironed out, and a few tweaks got made, but it was too late to get the KtP stats updated to match the LbE stats without causing a delay in the print run.  And with folks already blasting FFG for the long delay in products (due to circumstances largely out of their control, namely the dock strike), those in charge of the money probably didn't want to delay the product over what was (to them) a very minor quibble.

Squadron 66 did playtesting for both books, and the Lannik write-ups in the two playtest docs were quite different from one another, something that took us by surprise.  If I had to guess, given how different the stats wound up from the playtest versions, there was probably some last-minute tweaks being made, some of which may not have made it into Keeping the Peace by the time it went to the printers.

Personally, I'd go with the Lead by Example version as being the more accurate, as the removing of setback die from a whole host of otherwise debilitating conditions is pretty good, with removing two setback almost bordering on being too good in my opinion.

It seems FFG are comfortable with the stronger version of the Lannik, including the two-die version of Indomitable. I'm actually surprised.

It seems FFG are comfortable with the stronger version of the Lannik, including the two-die version of Indomitable. I'm actually surprised.

Likewise, since I'd have thought with Lead by Example being written and released later that it'd fall into the usual "most recent info is the correct one" that most RPG companies default to.

In retrospect, letting the Lannik remove two setback dice from a host of potentially debilitating conditions helps make them a more viable PC species, especially for combat-orientated character concepts.

I've noticed errors like this in other systems of FFG's, namely Deathwatch involving the Deathwing terminator specifically. One upgrade was 1500 xp the other was 3000 xp. Also two different books. This is a minor annoyance thing, it happens, note the differences pick the better one, move on.