Sign in to follow this  
Lonepine80

Blast targeting doors

If you attack a door with a blast attack, do figs on both sides of the door take the blast damage?

Based on the FAQ errata to the "Adjacent" section in the RRG I'd say no: 

RULES REFERENCE GUIDE 

ADJACENT 

The first bullet of “Adjacent” on page 4 should read: 

“Two spaces that share only an edge that is a wall, blocking terrain, or a door are not adjacent.”

[  ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ] D [  ]

[F][  ][  ][  ][  ][T]D[F2]

[  ][  ][  ][  ][  ][  ] D [  ]

Let's say that you are F and you are targeting space [T] which is adjacent to the door D

From the paragraph above it follows that the spaces on the other side of the door aren't considered adjacent (since they share only an edge which is a door) so therefor figur [F2] will not suffer any Blast damage.

Anyone else agree or disagree??

I disagree. Blast clearly states it effects all adjacent spaces. If you look under doors is says "only spaces that share an edge with the door are adjacent.

You add those two rules together and you get that blast hits both sides of the door being blasted. You are not targeting the space, but rather the object. Rules for doors are *way outside the norm.

You are not targeting the space, but rather the object. Rules for doors are *way outside the norm.

I'm not so sure, since doors have a multiple space foot print i think you have to declare the square that you are targeting with the attack. But this is why I have posted the question, I haven't been able to get a consensus from the people i have asked. 

You are not targeting the space, but rather the object. Rules for doors are *way outside the norm.

Exactly. Doors are special. How do you declare the door as a target? How do you determine the required accuracy? How do you determine the line of sight to the door? When you have answered those satisfactorily, you have arrived to something that may be the correct answer.

Also, you ignored the critical part of Blast:

"The Blast keyword appears on some cards. If the target of this

figure's attack suffers one or more (damage), each figure and

object adjacent to the target space suffers damage equal to the Blast

value. For example, "Blast 1damage" causes each figure and object

adjacent to the target to suffer 1damage."

(So, with strict interpretation, if you did not target any space, then blast has nothing to work with. I do still believe you always have to target a space. Why would there be the rule about a door occupying empty spaces for line of sight and counting spaces for the attack if you didn't need to target a space to target a door.)

Edited by a1bert

I disagree. Blast clearly states it effects all adjacent spaces. If you look under doors is says "only spaces that share an edge with the door are adjacent.

You add those two rules together and you get that blast hits both sides of the door being blasted. You are not targeting the space, but rather the object. Rules for doors are *way outside the norm.

But check how you're attacking objects:

When attacking a door, using an ability that affects a door, or counting spaces to a door, the door is considered to be occupying each empty space with which it shares an edge.

I am considering withdrawing my objection, but I have one more point to discuss.

I get we are considering that the door is occupying all spaces. But then we have the door blocking the blast targeting itself. I would point out that things dont block line of sight from themselves. Also look into how blast effects large figures. If the door is the target is cannot block an attack on itself (or from itself, as this is blast)

The door is not affected by Blast, because the target of the attack never suffers from blast, even when the door can be considered to be adjacent to the targeted space (and thus technically adjacent to itself by appearing in several places at once).

If the door is destroed in the attack, the door is removed before Blast is applied, and figures on the other side of the door take Blast damage normally, the door is no longer in the way blocking adjacency. The same happens if you melee attack a door and have Cleave.

Edited by a1bert

The door is not affected by Blast, because the target of the attack never suffers from blast, even when the door can be considered to be adjacent to the targeted space (and thus technically adjacent to itself by appearing in several places at once).

If the door is destroed in the attack, the door is removed before Blast is applied, and figures on the other side of the door take Blast damage normally, the door is no longer in the way blocking adjacency. The same happens if you melee attack a door and have Cleave.

And the beauty of that interpretation is that it also makes inch sense fluff wise: a blasted door should be able to "cause" Blast

Blast affects all spaces adjacent to the targeted space. So, if you were to target one of the spaces the door is considered to be occupying on the south side of a door, blast would hit all spaces adjacent to that space. The two spaces on the north side of that door that it is considered to be occupying would not be affected because the door itself blocks adjacency so those spaces would not be considered adjacent to the targeted space. However, in the instance that the door is actually destroyed by the attack itself, it would no longer be there to block adjacency so those spaces that were adjacent to the door on the north side would now be adjacent to the targeted space and could, therefore, be affected by blast damage.

Hope that clears things up!

Paul Winchester

Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

Ok, so reading this reply I learned two things. One, as you guys already figured out, the door blocks blast. The second thing is that blast radiates from the target square, meaning you could blast targets further from the door than I expected.

Turns out I misjudged this one. Hope this helps.

Blast affects all spaces adjacent to the targeted space. So, if you were to target one of the spaces the door is considered to be occupying on the south side of a door, blast would hit all spaces adjacent to that space. The two spaces on the north side of that door that it is considered to be occupying would not be affected because the door itself blocks adjacency so those spaces would not be considered adjacent to the targeted space. However, in the instance that the door is actually destroyed by the attack itself, it would no longer be there to block adjacency so those spaces that were adjacent to the door on the north side would now be adjacent to the targeted space and could, therefore, be affected by blast damage.

Hope that clears things up!

Paul Winchester

Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

Ok, so reading this reply I learned two things. One, as you guys already figured out, the door blocks blast. The second thing is that blast radiates from the target square, meaning you could blast targets further from the door than I expected.

Turns out I misjudged this one. Hope this helps.

There is zero chance I would have come to all of those conclusions, thanks for posting that.