Sign in to follow this  
ThePatriot

Would this be unethical?

You're using Mara Jade as a character. You've already deviated from canon. Do what makes you happy.

Yeah, you're just making stuff up now. Apparently you've swept Mara off her feet, much to the chagrin of Luke. Go ahead and try to marry her, but don't be surprised when Luke, Han, and Chewie all shout "We object !!!" at the wedding.

I love the responses so far and laughed at the funny ones.

Currently, the Je'daii Order consists of 2 Journeymen and 2 Padawans. Mara previously agreed to be my character's padawan, but ended up escaping due to her not wanting to endanger the group. During the last session, my character charmed the pants off her and she agreed to let us sever her force connection temporarily to escape from the Emperor's control.

Oh, the current time in the game is roughly 2 months after the Battle of Yavin, so Luke, Han, and Chewie haven't met her yet. They don't know she exists and she doesn't know they exist.

If the romantic-marital relationship predates the teacher-student relationship, I don't see any ethics problems. That does not make it wise or free from potential disaster, but prudence and ethics are two different things. 

Edited by Vondy

If you have to ask "would this be unethical" then the answer is not a clear one and I would recommend it be explored in game.

Often when I am torn as to what kind of morality to have as a baseline in my game, I just make it a major question or plot point within the game. Such a question can be explored by the PCs... Make your players do the work

If you have to ask "would this be unethical" then the answer is not a clear one and I would recommend it be explored in game.

Often when I am torn as to what kind of morality to have as a baseline in my game, I just make it a major question or plot point within the game. Such a question can be explored by the PCs... Make your players do the work

Sounds like a good idea to explore it in the game. I'm not the GM, but one of the players. It's my character that is romantically involved with Mara Jade and going to be training her. I wanted to get some outside opinions on it.

I would find it ethically challenging, but that is rather something to be explored in a game, rather than real life :ph34r: as zypher said.

One could rephrase the question to this: Is it unethical with a relationship between two people where there is an explicit, apparent and obvious power asymmetry? The padawan is subordinate to the journeyman, both structurally, formally and (arguably) in skills and (often but not always: Anakin and Luke) in raw power. The chemical part of "feelings" aside, how free and voluntary would such a relationship be? How much is admiration? If charmed, like in this case, how much comes from Mara herself and how much is the insistence of your character?

But yeah, explore it in game, and hopefully your GM has some good tricks up his sleeve, and you'll have drama, love, hate, fear and all that fun stuff to explore... I see a lack of balance in your character's future :ph34r:;)

Edited by Jegergryte

To be honest, I'm more surprised she is the student more then anything. Though by EU terms her abilities were described as diverse rather then exceptional in the Thrawn books because she wasn't THE hand, but a hand.

I wouldn't say unethical, both are adults of consent, but I would say it's unprofessional. That and being in a relationship doesn't necessarily mean that the apprentice should be subject to all her teachers whims in the same way a normal relationship wouldn't dominate most peoples way of life. It should be a joint sacrifice and joy. A really good gm should use this opportunity to give you plenty of chances to incur copious amounts of conflict, especially because applying a bit of glitter to an assassin doesn't not make her an assassin; the instinct drilled into her by the emperor is that of a predator.  I don't know your party, but it it presents some interesting situations to arise. For your character has ticked off the Emperor personally, admit indirectly by taking one of his most direct subjects. I would expect his wraith to be immense and overwhelming. All the good hallmarks of a star wars campaign! XD

My group has also has run into Mara Jade (because as of now she's non-canon, thus my GM weaved her in as a cheeky reminder of the EU), we found her, less accommodating and more of a focused badass. In that when half of the party encountered her in the control room of a Tie Raptor factory, they tried to shoot out the glass that kept the gas giant's poisonous gases away. They were impressed, up to the point that a soft *thud* and a crimson blade ripping through the turbo lifts roof, causing the party heavy to go bezerk and open up with the chain gun. Three rounds later, completely unharmed despite the rapidly decreasing cover, she cut the turbo lift breaks and jumped off, resulting in a fanatic attempt not to fall to their doom.

That and my character was interrogated by her while in inquisitional (botched job turned interesting) and well, let me put it this way; for a guy who robbed a hutt to lure out his nemesis and killed two inquisitors personally, he's terrified of her. Probably more so then Vader. So it's cool to see another interpretation.

Edited by Lordbiscuit

To be honest, I'm more surprised she is the student more then anything. Though by EU terms her abilities were described as diverse rather then exceptional in the Thrawn books because she wasn't THE hand, but a hand.

I wouldn't say unethical, both are adults of consent, but I would say it's unprofessional. That and being in a relationship doesn't necessarily mean that the apprentice should be subject to all her teachers whims in the same way a normal relationship wouldn't dominate most peoples way of life. It should be a joint sacrifice and joy.

My group has also has run into Mara Jade (because as of now she's non-canon, thus my GM weaved her in as a cheeky reminder of the EU), we found her, less accommodating and more of a focused badass. In that when half of the party encountered her in the control room of a Tie Raptor factory, they tried to shoot out the glass that kept the gas giant's poisonous gases away. They were impressed, up to the point that a soft *thud* and a crimson blade ripping through the turbo lifts roof, causing the party heavy to go bezerk and open up with the chain gun. Three rounds later, completely unharmed despite the rapidly decreasing cover, she cut the turbo lift breaks and jumped off, resulting in a fanatic attempt not to fall to their doom.

That and my character was interrogated by her while in inquisitional (botched job turned interesting) and well, let me put it this way; for a guy who robbed a hutt to lure out his nemesis and killed two inquisitors personally, he's terrified of her. Probably more so then Vader. So it's cool to see another interpretation.

In terms of raw power, our characters are equal with her in Force Rating. Our GM made her with a FR of 2 back when we were still FR 1. Now we're equal in terms of that. She doesn't have nearly the amount of points spent in force powers or in Force specializations than my character and his twin brother. She is still a badass and we got lucky during the first encounter with her.

She was sent to Tython with a squad of Stormtroopers to hunt down and exterminate a group of refugees that were former slaves of the Empire. Our party decided to intervene and save the refugees from the Empire's hit squad. In the first round of combat with her, my character rolled several successes, a few advantages, and a Triumph on the to hit roll. The GM allowed me to call where my lightsaber struck her, so I ended up taking her leg and that forced the end to the combat.

We ended up talking to her and through a lot of excellent rolls we found out her mission to Tython plus who she was. The relationship between my character and Mara has been growing since the third episode of the season. We have remained in contact and after the attack on Incom's board, which my character and his twin brother's father is a member of, we found out that she was behind the attack. Through really excellent rolls on charm and through actual social interaction my character expressed his feelings towards her and she is finally going to become part of the group.

Edited by ThePatriot

Nah, you gotta kill off all her other suitors before you can make her mai waifu.

And you should add Leia, Padme and Rey to your harem for extra 'Mary Sue' points.

In 0 ABY Mara Jade has zero suitors. She doesn't get Luke as a suitor until 19 ABY, so there is quite a bit of difference there.

Hmm invalid comparison logical fallacy. Leia, Padme', and Rey are all canon characters while Mara Jade is no longer canon.

Also, page 318 of F&D states that the GM can use as much or as little of the Expanded Universe, aka Legends, as they see fit. Our GM decided to just use the character of Mara Jade, but fit it within the context of our game. Her original use was to be the nemesis of the group, but due to exceptional rolling on our parts we turned a nemesis into an ally then into joining the party. All within the rules regarding using Legends in the core rulebooks.

Edited by ThePatriot

We needn't snark at other people's fun.

I concur.

There is no need for me to be snarky, and I apologise to Patriot unreservedly.

It makes me seem a tad hypocritical, in fact, and I'm better than that.

I'm big enough to admit I made a mistake publically.

Marcy

Apology accepted. :)

Preacher

The KOTOR game has an example, with a story from Jolee Bindo.  Didn't turn out too well:

Then again, it was a different time and place.

Is it unethical?  Depends why they're doing it.  These things are looked on warily by some societies because of the power differential and the potential abuse, and by the Jedi because of the dangers of attachment.  You aren't playing Jedi, but that doesn't mean those underlying issues aren't valid.

Not concerned overly about power issues, more interested in party dynamics. Personally, a path using both light and darkness should be very unforgiving and ultimately doomed to fail if one lacks the temperament (on the assumption that the darkside itself is merely a cancer of the force. Personally I feel the Jiiedi had fallen for a reason.) to hold back on that restraint.

Some opportunity for fun also. Especially if you feel your brother is doing TOO good a job of training your lover.

Not concerned overly about power issues, more interested in party dynamics. Personally, a path using both light and darkness should be very unforgiving and ultimately doomed to fail if one lacks the temperament (on the assumption that the darkside itself is merely a cancer of the force. Personally I feel the Jiiedi had fallen for a reason.) to hold back on that restraint.

Some opportunity for fun also. Especially if you feel your brother is doing TOO good a job of training your lover.

The dynamics would be interesting, but I don't think that anything would happen between Mara and Sharke. 

The Je'daii didn't fall exactly. They split into two groups after the war with the Rakata. Those that didn't give up the forcesabers became darksiders and those that did became the Jedi. The forcesaber required the use of the dark side to power it, so when Je'daii channeled it they became unbalanced and fell.