Sign in to follow this  
Steel Cavalry

Set to Stun

Because the PC's arn't minions, they go over their Strain threshold and become unconscious. Minions are a practical way of showing a Narrative aspect such as Han Solo shooting at 30 or so Storm troopers on the Death Star and not being immediately wiped from existance.

PC's are the heros if they don't survive your story then you have no game!

Also, who determines whether or not an NPC would die? Only you as the GM can decide that. If it's an Important NPC then you keep them around. if not they sacrifice themselves. Do whats good for the story and fun of teh game, not the rules. Hold your group UP not BACK.

Edited by jimjams79

Because the PC's arn't minions, they go over their Strain threshold and become unconscious. Minions are a practical way of showing a Narrative aspect such as Han Solo shooting at 30 or so Storm troopers on the Death Star and not being immediately wiped from existance.

Did you even read what the consequences are that I posted? The character would be deaf, blind, and dead that would require immediate medical assistance at the local med center. He would then have to pay to have cybernetics replace his eyes and ears for pulling a dumb move.

If Han did this, he would have been killed. That's why he never did that in the movies or books. He's not stupid enough to use the Hero Shield.

Why would they be deaf, blind and dead?  Do you not think in the Star wars universe they haven't created safer stun tech? Stop applying "real world" physics to a fantasy setting, you are just limiting yourself by doing this.

Why are you playing a Star Wars game if all you are going to do is regress the tech level to todays standards. Put away the Science book, and open your imagination.

Anyhoo, it is your game so run it how you see fit.  But before you "rebuff" my suggestiong again, remeber, you asked us for help.

Why would they be deaf, blind and dead?  Do you not think in the Star wars universe they haven't created safer stun tech? Stop applying "real world" physics to a fantasy setting, you are just limiting yourself by doing this.

Why are you playing a Star Wars game if all you are going to do is regress the tech level to todays standards. Put away the Science book, and open your imagination.

Anyhoo, it is your game so run it how you see fit.  But before you "rebuff" my suggestiong again, remeber, you asked us for help.

I'm not the original poster. ;) Reading comprehension FTW!

Yeah, it was Cyberpunk 2012/2020 where you had a chance of your character dying during character creation. That was fun to deal with.  :lol:

You could also die during the Life Path rolling for character creation in Traveller. Mind you, that was an early edition of the game - later editions were much less lethal in char gen. Of course it is still possible to roll up a crippled, talentless space-drifter with absolutely nothing to their name. . . . 

Did you even read what the consequences are that I posted? The character would be deaf, blind, and dead that would require immediate medical assistance at the local med center. He would then have to pay to have cybernetics replace his eyes and ears for pulling a dumb move.

If Han did this, he would have been killed. That's why he never did that in the movies or books. He's not stupid enough to use the Hero Shield.

You're assuming that a Stun Grenade is the same as modern Flash Bang.

If anything I would suggest that a Flash Bang has the disorient quality rather than Stun.

Of course the description in the book is helpfully vague :) so it comes down to how you chose to GM it.

Personally I see them as an energy wave that works the same way as a Stun setting on a blaster causes harm enough to knock you out but not kill or do serious harm

Edited by Cynthorus

That’s an EXCELLENT point! Thank you for bringing this to the discussion!

Of course the description in the book is helpfully vague :) so it comes down to how you chose to GM it.

Personally I see them as an energy wave that works the same way as a Stun setting on a blaster causes harm enough to knock you out but not kill or do serious harm

I’m just quoting this because I don’t think that I could have said it better.

Just wanted to throw it in there that I am treating the tone very much like the movies. Not going for super realism or looking to punish the PCs. I wanted to encourage the attempt for creativity first time around, but make sure I could give them a warning so they would not rely too heavily on the tactic. This is because rivals don't die to max stun damage, they are knocked out. With this ability bounties could become a lot easier to collect and I just didn't want it to become a repeat tactic.

I think the gradual nerve damage represented by Destiny flips is a good idea.  Have them get patched up by a medic sometime, who says something like, "Okay, I've removed the nexu fang, so your leg should be okay in a few days.  By the way, I noticed you have an irregular heart rhythm and some slightly abnormal brain waves.  Have you been hit with a stun bolt recently?"  Then let them explain their cool tactic (which is awesome, BTW) and have the Medic just turn pale.  "You've been doing that to yourself ON PURPOSE?!?"  Then have him start listing off all the things that repeated stun blasts can cause.  Tremors, arrhythmia, incontinence, infertility, insomnia, various mental disorders, heart attack, stroke, whatever.  Just have the dude lose it while his partner laughs.

Yeah, it was Cyberpunk 2012/2020 where you had a chance of your character dying during character creation. That was fun to deal with.  :lol:

You could also die during the Life Path rolling for character creation in Traveller. Mind you, that was an early edition of the game - later editions were much less lethal in char gen. Of course it is still possible to roll up a crippled, talentless space-drifter with absolutely nothing to their name. . . . 

Also possible in MechWarrior 3rd Edition. Kinda hard to pilot of mech (if thats what you were going for) minus a leg or arm, on the other hand(heh), you could end up a Duke with control of an entire section of planets.

Edited by BigSpoon

Then have him start listing off all the things that repeated stun blasts can cause.  Tremors, arrhythmia, incontinence, infertility, insomnia, various mental disorders, heart attack, stroke, whatever.  Just have the dude lose it while his partner laughs.

Graboids aren't funny, man.

If anything I would suggest that a Flash Bang has the disorient quality rather than Stun.

My reading of the stun grenade -- going back to WEG -- has always been that they're non-explosive and generate a large non-directional pulse that works in a way similar to the stun-setting on blasters. 

Why some people are suddenly in favor of things like nerve damage... I just don't get it.  Maybe I missed where these people have argued for blasters set to stun to also cause long-term nerve damage. 

Edited by MaxKilljoy

Then have him start listing off all the things that repeated stun blasts can cause.  Tremors, arrhythmia, incontinence, infertility, insomnia, various mental disorders, heart attack, stroke, whatever.  Just have the dude lose it while his partner laughs.

Graboids aren't funny, man.

sol19n.jpg

My reading of the stun grenade -- going back to WEG -- has always been that they're non-explosive and generate a large non-directional pulse that works in a way similar to the stun-setting on blasters. 

Why some people are suddenly in favor of things like nerve damage... I just don't get it.  Maybe I missed where these people have argued for blasters set to stun to also cause long-term nerve damage.

Oh I'm not suggesting it as a normal effect but the question is about how to dissuade their player's from over using a tactic that whilst is fantastic to do once shouldn't be abused.

For normal stun grenade use I see them exactly as you do.

Oh I'm not suggesting it as a normal effect but the question is about how to dissuade their player's from over using a tactic that whilst is fantastic to do once shouldn't be abused.

Knocking yourself out in the middle of a fight would seem to come with its own inherent and considerable risks.

If the player keeps using it then he is unconscious.. this put a lot of pressure on the rest of the party too keep him out of harms way.......this is where he gets dissuaded from over using it.  you can have his weapons stolen, his backpack stolen, he could be attacked and nearly killed. 

When it goes off in his hand, the Grenade itself is still exploding, so it is going to have some shrapnel, even just a bit. He might even take a critical cripple on his hand. That could be kinda harsh though, like you guys have said.

That would really hurt. Maybe a few rounds after he wakes up his hands are unusable, because of their proximity to the "stun wave" for lack of a better term. So he has to brawl, with an increased difficulty.

Why do some people assume that the Star Wars stun grenades explode

My understanding from old RPG and other products is that they're small casing with one or more emitters, the control system, and a one-charge "battery" inside.  Some models can be recharged, and some models have a one-time charge inside that can't be reused. 

"Stun grenades use sonic waves, concussion shocks, and other methods to stun their targets. Like frag grenades, stun grenades can be set to detonate on impact or set with a timer to detonate up to 3 rounds after being activated. Stun grenades rarely have pressure detonators."

Straight from the EotE CRB, emphasis is mine.

Interpret how you will, this is the text from the book. I can see how it would give some people the idea that stun grenades explode.

These weapons were small, weighed about 0.5 kilograms, and had a blast radius of between 3 and 4 meters. Mercenary units, local law enforcement, and military personnel were known to use them. These grenades were designed to explode on impact and could knock out individuals caught within the blast radius from the concussive force released. They were effective against organic, living targets, not droids or electronics; ion grenades or similar devices would be used to incapacitate droids. From 32 BBY to 4 ABY, these items typically cost 600 credits, but were sometimes available for as low as 250. As with other explosives, they were often restricted.

The Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. weapons manufacturer produced a couple of variants of the stun grenade, including the C-10 stun grenade, and the C-14A stun grenade which had the unusual ability to be recharged and reused.

Yeah, looks like they blow up.

The Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. weapons manufacturer produced a couple of variants of the stun grenade, including the C-10 stun grenade, and the C-14A stun grenade which had the unusual ability to be recharged and reused.

The Merr-Sonn Munitions stun grenades can be recharged and reused after blowing up?  OK... or more likely, they work as I described. 

The C-10 and C-14A names sound very familiar, without cracking open the old books and trying to find them when I should be getting out the door to head to work, they're likely a reference to the stun grenades in the older games. 

The "concussion" and "explosion" bit reads more like the author confusing real-life concussion grenades with Star Wars stun grenades -- where is that from?