Sign in to follow this  
LordUrban

So my players want to do an Old Republic Sith campaign......

It's not that hard to pull off. The only thing you'll need are specific weapons/armor/gear/vehicles/adversaries. In the first three cases, stick to generic items found in the core rulebooks, or give generic names to things found in other books. For vehicles, just take the vehicle you want stats for, find a similarly sized vehicle already with stats, and do a name change. Same with adversaries: Stormtroopers become Sith Troopers, Inquisitors become Sith Lords, etc.

The biggest hiccup, for me, would be the "Sith" part of the request, which I assume means the players want to play a dark side game. I'm not particularly partial to those, but I would just look into advice for playing a regular dark side campaign.

The same advice as can be said for any "evil" campaign, really. If your players are mature players, it should be enough. We are currently playing an OR Sith campaign and having a blast.

There is a certain demographic of player that wants to play evil characters by outplaying the other players. This is one of those golden rules of rpging: always adapt your character to the story in a way to maximize your fun without damaging anyone else's fun. There are plenty of reasons a Sith would have and maintain allies, treating them with respect if not care. If you can't find a reason why your character would work alongside other beings without constantly plotting against them behind their backs, then don't play that character. As an addendum to this, when handling characters with an egotistical nature, you as the GM should find a way to always even the rewards between them; if at any point you throw them something from which only one can reap the rewards, that's where the backstabbing starts and everyone stops having fun.

I'm working on getting an all Stormtrooper game going. Just pick stuff to make it work and slightly mod it as needed.

Something you can do to add a little flavor is to have the evil characters use dark side tokens instead of light side.

I'm working on getting an all Stormtrooper game going. Just pick stuff to make it work and slightly mod it as needed.

Something you can do to add a little flavor is to have the evil characters use dark side tokens instead of light side.

I ran a canned EoE game (Under a Black Sun) for a stormtrooper party- they had fun being dirty cops. I basically told them "One shot characters, AoR, all human, "Free" access to the Recruit tree. You're stormtroopers. Go."

With the whole "sith constantly double crossing each other" thing, I'd say check with the players ahead of time, make sure they aren't all planning to spend 75% of each session making opposed checks against each other. If they are, or you're not sure, lay down the law early that while you don't expect them to play nice, you do expect them to work toward a common goal and as GM you can veto and retcon anything that gets too disruptive.

A few good rules:

- No mind controlling, slicing, or using any other mechanical effects to force your will upon or remove agency from another player.

- It's ok to keep secrets from other players, but nothing that will hold up the story. No sitting on the crucial piece of evidence.

- Any significant actions or plot intended to screw over another player must be cleared with the GM ahead of time so he can ensure it's manageable and works with the story.

This system has a lot of really neat options and functions that would make a Sith campaign work well, but you do have to make sure the players are willing to focus more on the opposition and NPC Siths and not each other.

Evil does not have to mean stupid. As already noted, you need to have players willing to create a proper, if evil, game. It only takes one player playing selfishly in regards to other players in the game to derail the whole thing.

Some things to consider...

• the characters need a common reason to be together. It is all right if they have other motivations, but there should be a overarching reason too. This could be greed, revenge, power or whatever other reason they decide but they should all share it.
  • They also need to be able to work together. If they can not then there is no reason to be together. Maybe they all have a common theme (students of the same teacher) or have other connections to each other (friends and/or family), or maybe they all have a common enemy/patron.
  • They should have actual missions and not be going and willy-nilly killing indiscriminately.

There have been books dedicated to evil campaigns for other RPG lines that prove helpful if you can find them for bargains. D&D has had several., They can be helpful for designing such a game.

I'm not too worried about the players backstabbing eachother. Of course that scenario isn't impossible. I'm more interested in equipment, ships and powers. I feel that there may not be enough dark side goodies in the FF rules to keep a Sith interested.

Didn't the Sith actively work as a coherent unit after being exiled by the (proto) Jedi? Using this as a basis, they could be 'The Power Behind The Throne' in a historical setting - one player is an Archvist, another the Spymaster, another Capt of the Guard etc. each player has a defined role (and only NPC underlings would be out to get them) withing the group and co-operation is a must.

Or each player takes one of the Careers from F&D as a teacher of that fighting style :D

My wife is running us through a TOR empire campaign,

Drall Artisan with severe PTSD (Me), Sith Pureblood Shien Expert, Droid doctor, Twi'lek marauder/politico (modeled after She Hulk). We're all working for the Sith Pureblood's master. The Darth is essentially a lazy jerk who gets us to run 'mundane' errands where exciting things happen. The first adventure we had to fly to this planes world and pick up a dozen eggs for the Master's breakfast. Unfortunately, the eggs were lain by Rancor-sized birds. There has been no backstabbing or anything like that. In fact, there's nothing inherently evil about the campaign so far.

Edited by kaosoe

I'm not too worried about the players backstabbing eachother. Of course that scenario isn't impossible. I'm more interested in equipment, ships and powers. I feel that there may not be enough dark side goodies in the FF rules to keep a Sith interested.

No need to create everything. Just take what is there and file off the serial numbers and replace with ones that fit your game.

TOR is a good setting to run non-moustache-twirling-villainous Sith. It's a much more nuanced, philosophical difference at the time. Also, the TOR setting is nice in how it associates the sometimes cynical relationships between Jedi and the Republic: the Jedi still prop up an oligarchical, colonialist, sometimes unequal society. The Sith, while having the ABY reputation of being mouth-foaming maniacs, have in the past been functional administrators and organizers. Just because one believes in passion and emotion as a will-to-power doesn't mean one is a bumbling idiot who monologues to a backdrop of laser sharks every chance they get.

As for resources:

Some of the early Tales of the Jedi comics are interesting in how they portray pre-Great War Sith Empires. The Dark Horse Golden Age of the Sith comics and some of the stories around Exar Kun are pretty good.

EDIT: Also, and I know that SWTOR isn't canon or even popular in all corners, it does have some interesting stories about how a Sith could run their lives. Yes, some of them are murderous maniacs. But others are actually quite thoughtful and careful and work well together. It all depends on a shared buy-in.

Edited by GreyMatter

Just reskin everything. Problem solved. It's not like in TOR they were running around with a bunch of Sith artifacts or anything. So reskin Alliance equipment as Republic and Empire as SIth and call it a day.

Most of the stuff in the books is neutral anyway and can serve either purpose. 

Just reskin everything. Problem solved. It's not like in TOR they were running around with a bunch of Sith artifacts or anything. So reskin Alliance equipment as Republic and Empire as SIth and call it a day.

That what we wound up doing with our (light side) KotOR game - TIE Fighters and Stormtroopers in all but name. Worked out just fine too.

TOR is a good setting to run non-moustache-twirling-villainous Sith. It's a much more nuanced, philosophical difference at the time. Also, the TOR setting is nice in how it associates the sometimes cynical relationships between Jedi and the Republic: the Jedi still prop up an oligarchical, colonialist, sometimes unequal society. The Sith, while having the ABY reputation of being mouth-foaming maniacs, have in the past been functional administrators and organizers. Just because one believes in passion and emotion as a will-to-power doesn't mean one is a bumbling idiot who monologues to a backdrop of laser sharks every chance they get.

As for resources:

Some of the early Tales of the Jedi comics are interesting in how they portray pre-Great War Sith Empires. The Dark Horse Golden Age of the Sith comics and some of the stories around Exar Kun are pretty good.

EDIT: Also, and I know that SWTOR isn't canon or even popular in all corners, it does have some interesting stories about how a Sith could run their lives. Yes, some of them are murderous maniacs. But others are actually quite thoughtful and careful and work well together. It all depends on a shared buy-in.

The murderous maniacs and the "for the evulz" Sith tend to either be small fry or get themselves killed, depending on how much of a target they make of themselves. 

Sith who actually make it above the lowest rungs tend to at least have far more discretion and self-control, and don't backstab their allies, waste their pawns, or kick puppies, just for the hell of it.  They might be remorseless psychopaths, but they're the sort of psychopaths who succeed in upper management and keep up a good facade. 

Running an OR game isn't too difficult as long as you are aware of each characters motives. If your players want to play power seeking evil doers I would STRONGLY suggest giving the group a Patron of somekind, such as a Sith Lord who can keep them in check and get them to do what he wants.

You could start tha campaign at the Sith academy on Korriban and have the characters get "selected" by the patron for an elite group of opratives. 

The Old Republic era works VERY differently to the Star Wars we all know as "canon". Many Jedi orders wer enot against Jedi Marrying or even falling in love, Some Jedi academys accepted older members, and more importantsly the Jedi had no centralised seat of order. It wasn't until later on that the Jedi high council banded all the academys and minor temples under one banner.

So if you think how different things were for the Jedi order, Imagine the range you will have with the Sith?

I would love to run a Sith game, but I know what my players are like lol.

Good luck with your game.

The Old Republic era works VERY differently to the Star Wars we all know as "canon". Many Jedi orders wer enot against Jedi Marrying or even falling in love, Some Jedi academys accepted older members, and more importantsly the Jedi had no centralised seat of order. It wasn't until later on that the Jedi high council banded all the academys and minor temples under one banner.

Yes, there were a dozen shades of grey on every side of the Jedi-Sith conflict in the Old Republic era. For example, the Jedi Shadows were a secret order funded by corporate money, and ultimately directed by an evil mastermind who CALLED himself a Sith, but who was really more of a Dark Side freelancer. The Revanchists, on the other hand, were staunchly traditional and "moral" Jedi who grew tired of inaction on the Council's part and decided to intervene in the Mandalorian Wars. (And if you've played KotOR, you know how that all turned out.)

On the Sith side, many Jedi who became known as Sith, like Ulic Qel-Droma and Exar Kun, had strong moral convictions about order, the quest for knowledge, and justice. The most evil people during their time were the Krath, who were devotees of the Sith ways, but were more cultists than actual Force practitioners. The people who became identified as Sith tended to be people with more complex motivations than the Krath, who were utter maniacs, and not really very interesting as villains.

Edited by GreyMatter

I like the thought of equating the Sith with the Nazis in Raiders of the Lost Arc. The players can act as agents of the Sith hierarchy working for the long-term purposes of the Sith (like rebels working for the Rebels) and take missions for the Sith agenda.