Sign in to follow this  
cjnj193

Question about Wampa

So this could be a dumb question regarding wampa but when using his ability I know it occurs after the defender has rolled his dice, but if you choose to deal the facedown damage card does the attack technically hit still? Just wondering in regards to stealth device and stuff like that, as I know asteroids deal damage but they won't knock a stealth device and LT Blount is still considered to hit even if he misses. Any clarification would be much appreciated

Ok, so I'm new, but I'm confused by this.  My understanding is that the timing is 

1. Roll Attack Dice
  2. Defender modifies Attack dice
  3. Attacker modifies Attack dice
  4. Roll Defense Dice
  5. Attacker modifies Defense dice
  6. Defender modifies Defense dice
  7. Determine hits

Wouldn't Wampa's ability fall under point 3 above, which comes BEFORE the Defense dice are even rolled?  I can see some points at which this could make a difference.

Ok, so I'm new, but I'm confused by this.  My understanding is that the timing is 

1. Roll Attack Dice
  2. Defender modifies Attack dice
  3. Attacker modifies Attack dice
  4. Roll Defense Dice
  5. Attacker modifies Defense dice
  6. Defender modifies Defense dice
  7. Determine hits

Wouldn't Wampa's ability fall under point 3 above, which comes BEFORE the Defense dice are even rolled?  I can see some points at which this could make a difference.

Nope, Wampa's ability comes during the compare results step. That's where effects that cancel results normally tend to take place. That's part of your step 7. Things like Wampa and Crackshot trigger and then the defender starts canceling hits and crits with their evade results.

Here's a copy of the email that was posted on January 14 concerning this one.

In response to your rules question:

Rule Question:
When in the Attack sequence does Wampa’s pilot ability happen? I’ve been assuming it’s during the Compare Results step, because we used to have a rule saying that that was the step where Cancel Results effects happen, but the current Rules Reference doesn’t say that any more. So, does Wampa trigger during Compare Results, or during Attacker Modifies Attack Dice? Is there a general rule about the timing of Cancel Die Results abilities when not otherwise specified? 

“Wampa’s” ability happens at the start of the “Compare Results” step.

Thanks for playing,

Frank Brooks
Associate Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Edited by Parravon

I'm so enamoured seeing direct communication with the devs like this all the time.

It does make you feel that they're really 'accessible', doesn't it? I used to play a game many, many years ago and I had a rules question, so I wrote a letter (pre-email) to the author and snail-mailed it to him from New Zealand to Britain. Three weeks later I got a reply:

"No longer at this address."

Brutal.  Did you seal it with your favourite cologne?

:D

It's just you play a game for a few years and there was that certain something that just didn't seem to sit right, but because you couldn't contact the author, you just had to go with your best interpretation of what he was trying to imply. Until you come up against some with a different interpretation. Then the arguments started. And that game is one I no longer play, purely because the damned rules were so ambiguous and skewed to one force over every other force that the arguments it created just sucked away any enjoyment you were ever likely to get from playing.

X-wing is so refreshing because if you have a question, you can ask a world wide community, or contact the developers directly and get a definitive answer. I love that aspect of the game.

Edited by Parravon

I was using Wampa yesterday on VASSAL, and as he was attacking my opponent's A-wing (a great target for Wampa), my opponent claimed that Wampa's ability has to cancel dice AFTER his Green Dice cancel my Red Dice. He then gave me a link to a lengthy thread in this forum, which of course I didn't have time to go thru at the time. I just went with his interpretation, which basically made Wampa's ability useless.

Later, I read the thread he linked me to, and it seemed to come to the conclusion that Wampa cancels at the BEGINNING of the compare results step, which supports my interpretation that I can see him roll his Green dice, THEN choose to cancel my dice to trigger Wampa's ability or not.

I am posting here to verify that I am correct, and to bump the thread so maybe my opponent will see this so he won't rip off other players who choose to use Wampa.

Edited by Centurio

I am posting here to verify that I am correct

Here's the answer we got from Frank.

In response to your rules question:

Rule Question:

When in the Attack sequence does Wampa’s pilot ability happen? I’ve been assuming it’s during the Compare Results step, because we used to have a rule saying that that was the step where Cancel Results effects happen, but the current Rules Reference doesn’t say that any more. So, does Wampa trigger during Compare Results, or during Attacker Modifies Attack Dice? Is there a general rule about the timing of Cancel Die Results abilities when not otherwise specified?

“Wampa’s” ability happens at the start of the “Compare Results” step.

So Wampa cancels his dice before the targets evades come into play. The guy you mention on Vassal was in fact wrong.

Edited by VanorDM