Sign in to follow this  
Deagles

Integrated Astromech

Trying to understand how this card works.  It says that when damaged, I can remove 1 of my undefined upgrade cards to discard that damage card.

How does it mean by undefined upgrade cards? :unsure: :unsure:

Is it good to put onto an T-65 X Wing such a Biggs or other?

Thanks,

Doug

Yeah...I was using one of the online builders.  Then I saw that I had the card and shows the Astromech symbol in the description. 

So now I wonder if putting that and maybe R7 on Biggs would ideal.  Dunno...just a thought.

Edited by Deagles

Yeah...I was using one of the online builders.  Then I saw that I had the card and shows the Astromech symbol in the description. 

So now I wonder if putting that and maybe R7 on Biggs would ideal.  Dunno...just a thought.

Integrated Astromech is basically auto-add to any T-65. T-65s kind of really, REALLY need IA.

I've been flying a Biggs list with IA for a month or so now. It doesn't always trigger but in most games it keeps Biggs on the table one more round than without, which fulfils his function as a meat shield in the squad for just that little bit longer. I've found it is often best to use it on the damage taken before being reduced to one hull as the times I was not able to use IA were when I had one hull and received enough damage that the one point saved by IA would not matter.

I use R4-D6 as his astromech which is also conditional but has activated enough times to make it worhwhile and save him from taking a large amount of damage from one attack.

I've found it is often best to use it on the damage taken before being reduced to one hull as the times I was not able to use IA were when I had one hull and received enough damage that the one point saved by IA would not matter.

This doesn't actually make any difference at all, at least for normal hits You're saving yourself from a damage card, it doesn't matter when it occurs. In fact it might work against you if a later card is a crit which you can't prevent because you've already used your astromech. It also denies you your astromech's benefits for longer.

Edited by Hedgehogmech

I've found it is often best to use it on the damage taken before being reduced to one hull as the times I was not able to use IA were when I had one hull and received enough damage that the one point saved by IA would not matter.

This doesn't actually make any difference at all. You're saving yourself from a damage card, it doesn't matter when it occurs. In fact it might work against you if a later card is a crit which you can't prevent because you've already used your astromech. It also denies you your astromech's benefits for longer.

But if an earlier damage is a nasty crit, then it probably is worth popping early. Unless the enemy has some way to reliably inflict crits then losing the astromech to avoid the crit effects is a good idea. I think every time I have seen IA being played, the guy using it got a crit, but decided to save the droid for later and ended up suffering with a crit for a couple of rounds and then using IA to stop a face down card instead.

It's a balancing act: which is more important - your astromech's ability or (not) the critical hit's negative?

If you've taken a cheap Astromech, it's probably pretty obvious - if it's the "all hard turns are red" when you have an R2 astromech, you've essentially lost the astromech's ability anyway, you might as well bin off the damage. If you get the same effect with an R5, it's going away at the end of the turn, so keep the 'mech in case you suffer a second critical.

It's situational and conditional when to use it. If you are being attacked by a Decimator with expose then its likely a large damage roll is coming and that 1 point isn't going to help you much on the last attack. If it's a swarm with 2 dice attacks then Biggs might weather the attacks and holding IA for the last hull damage is better.

This doesn't actually make any difference at all. You're saving yourself from a damage card, it doesn't matter when it occurs. In fact it might work against you if a later card is a crit which you can't prevent because you've already used your astromech. It also denies you your astromech's benefits for longer.

But if an earlier damage is a nasty crit, then it probably is worth popping early. Unless the enemy has some way to reliably inflict crits then losing the astromech to avoid the crit effects is a good idea. I think every time I have seen IA being played, the guy using it got a crit, but decided to save the droid for later and ended up suffering with a crit for a couple of rounds and then using IA to stop a face down card instead.

Agreed, I should have added its not worth losing the astromech early for a normal hit. For crits use your judgement!

I say it's worth taking on any X-wing that doesn't have any other item taking up that slot.  It's basically a free hull upgrade if you have the Astromech.

Someone on one of the podcasts was using R4-D6 on Biggs, if I'm not mistaken.  That's the one that you can reduce the amount of incoming damage to only 2 hits (and get stressed).  With Integrated Astromech, that's another hull point to use to keep him alive a little bit longer.  It's an interesting use of R4-D6 as I've never seen him used before. 

I say it's worth taking on any X-wing that doesn't have any other item taking up that slot.  It's basically a free hull upgrade if you have the Astromech.

Someone on one of the podcasts was using R4-D6 on Biggs, if I'm not mistaken.  That's the one that you can reduce the amount of incoming damage to only 2 hits (and get stressed).  With Integrated Astromech, that's another hull point to use to keep him alive a little bit longer.  It's an interesting use of R4-D6 as I've never seen him used before. 

It's better than a hull upgrade. It's a shield upgrade that you can wait to spend until you get a bad crit!

It doesn't activate very often but when it does it saves Biggs from large amounts of damage. HLC with 4 hits, reduced to two with two stress taken, or TLT with 3 hits, reduced to two with one stress taken and a chance to dodge the attacks completely with Biggs' two evade dice and possibly a focus token.

It doesn't activate very often but when it does it saves Biggs from large amounts of damage. HLC with 4 hits, reduced to two with two stress taken, or TLT with 3 hits, reduced to two with one stress taken and a chance to dodge the attacks completely with Biggs' two evade dice and possibly a focus token.

R4-D6 doesn't work against attacks such at TLT or  Ion Cannon Turret, since if you are hit all dice are cancelled and the effect occurs.

I thought that the word "uncancelled" meant that R4-D6 did not kick in until after defense dice had been rolled. In other words, his ability only triggered against really heavy attacks. Otherwise he seems a bit good for a 1 point upgade.

Edited by Karhedron

This thread does bring up a minor annoyance that I have with the Integrated Astromech upgrade (and why it isn't a good fix for the original X-wings); this card just makes an expensive X-wing more expensive.

The only way the Integrated Astromech card benefits an X-wing is if you spend the squad points for an Astromech upgrade in addition to the points for the X-wing itself ... which just intensifies the problem of X-wings being too expensive in terms of squad points.

The Integrated Astromech card would have been a perfect fix for the X-wing if it was exclusively for the original X-wing (not usable on the new T-70 X-wing) and also reduced the point cost of any Astromech upgrade by -2 ... meaning you don't have to pay anything for an Astromech if it costs 2 points or less and you get a discount on the more expensive Astromechs.

This thread does bring up a minor annoyance that I have with the Integrated Astromech upgrade (and why it isn't a good fix for the original X-wings); this card just makes an expensive X-wing more expensive.

The only way the Integrated Astromech card benefits an X-wing is if you spend the squad points for an Astromech upgrade in addition to the points for the X-wing itself ... which just intensifies the problem of X-wings being too expensive in terms of squad points.

The Integrated Astromech card would have been a perfect fix for the X-wing if it was exclusively for the original X-wing (not usable on the new T-70 X-wing) and also reduced the point cost of any Astromech upgrade by -2 ... meaning you don't have to pay anything for an Astromech if it costs 2 points or less and you get a discount on the more expensive Astromechs.

I absolutely disagree with this. 

1) No one complains that most astromechs are not worth their points.  Spending points on Astromechs is a good use of those points.  R2 Astromechs still let you have all 1-2's as green.  It's not like their ability doesn't work now.

2) You get a free Shield Upgrade for free.  That's 4 pts worth of an upgrade.  How is this not effecting their points per worth ratio?

R4-D6 doesn't work against attacks such at TLT or  Ion Cannon Turret, since if you are hit all dice are cancelled and the effect occurs.

Dang. I've been running it wrong then. It cancels hit results after the evade roll is made if three or more are remaining which as you say does not apply to TLT or ICT.

A ship is not hit until after the defence roll is made...

So, HLC shot with 4 hits, Biggs rolls two evades, R4 cannot activate. If Biggs rolls no evades then R4 cancels damage taken down to two hits.

Still a good effect for a one point astromech which you are going to eject at some point, and better than any of the other 1 point droids.

Eh, paying a minimum of 1 point for an effectively 4 point use-anytime shield upgrade is worth it's cost. Having a -2 drop on someone like R2-D2 is a bit much, as well.

I disagree. I would argue that IA is chosen after you pick an astromech, not the other way around. Besides, if you really want a shield upgrade, you could just add the shield upgrade for 3 points. This is giving you an astromech ability that will also function as a shield in emergencies. IA for 0 points is an incredible upgrade for no cost. Giving it a -2 cost would be overpowered. 

Edited by Junjie