Sign in to follow this  
MrHatsForCats

Face melting and Fate Points

So due to a set of bad rolls the psyker in the groupe end up taking 11 E crit damage too his head. seeing as he had fate points and desired to burn one to stay alive i ruled that instead of losing his head completely he would have his face was burned away meaning he lost his eyes, ears, noses, and mouth.

So mechanically he's suffering deafness, blindness, 12 points of permanent Fel damage (I had him roll 2d10), and he can not speak. This isn't quite as debilitating as it sound as he has Warp perception and i will let him used that to "see" the world around him with the draw back the if anyone looks into his eye sockets well he use it the will be at risk of taking corruption points as there looking into the warp.

So i guess my question is does this sound fair, should i inflict less penalties or more, i was thinking of having him take Toughness test to be able to breath/move. how have you handle this situation before.             

That's pretty extreme, a trip to the biologis is in order! I had something similar with my group's priest being set on fire by a daemon. In his case I ruled the scarring was mainly limited to his body, whenever he takes his shirt off its causes Fear (1) to those not used to seeing horrific wounds. In my last session, my group was attacked by a large maw-fluke which called the boneyard in the gallowsway (we're running desolation of the dead), home. He was bitten badly by the maw fluke and was paralyzed by its bite. Once the beastie was dead, the group chirugeon who's used to such horrors, took the priest's robe off his chest to treat the wound and asked the others for assistance. This had the hilarious effect of making the group pariah retch uncontrollably and the seeker arbitrator to laugh hysterically and try and beat the priest's horrific chest away, undoing most of the good work the medic had done. Definitely worth trying to fit something like that in there!

I'm going to let more experienced GMs weigh in on this in my stead, but rolling a Toughness test to breathe or move is a bit much. If things are that bad, simply have a character cut a slit into where the mouth should be until better medical aid can be found.

I see your point the reason i made it so extreme is that he took all the damage at once. the NPC rolled a 1 to hit him with a laslock, he rolled foreboding to avoid it rolled an 83 fate pointed and rolled an 88, i rolled 93 on the PP table and he rolled 43 on PW table which is Psychic mirror he then rolled 1d10+5 E damage for a total of 13 - 2 for his T bonus this brought him down to 0 wounds, after that I rolled damage for the Laslock and rolled a 10 for a total of 14 damage to the head. so all that happening i kind of felt i couldn't just let him off with a couple scars and call it good.

funnily enough we are also in running desolation of the dead, this happened in the fleshing pits, and i was thinking about giving the group a choice once there out of the Mortuarius of spending a day finding a reputable medical facility or using Cog Lostok.  

I'm also making it so everyone has to take a fear (1) test when they first see his face which at this point is mostly just burnt skull or fear (2) if he's using warp perception.     

Edited by MrHatsForCats

So i guess my question is does this sound fair, should i inflict less penalties or more, i was thinking of having him take Toughness test to be able to breath/move. how have you handle this situation before.             

Hello HatsForCats,

to me, it does not sound fair at all. First and foremost, I do not see a reason for this „warp eye effect“. An Astropath uses his powers to „see“ as well, and there is no such effect. But on the other hand, I would not have him suddenly develop powers like that, too ;) The eyes are not necessarily “gone”. In fact, the “body” of the human eye is much more resilient than most people believe. He is still very likely to blind, since the damage will have destroyed most of the retina.

In regard to “Toughness test to breath”, you are overdoing it. The energy damage might have melted his facial featured, but it has for sure not fused the whole oral space together. Cutting a slit through where the lips used to be with a knife blade should do the trick. That needs to be done carefully, but it can be done. Further, I am not really sure that all of this will “melt shut”, but that is a different story altogether.

Personally, I would just assign the “Crit:7” of the “Energy/Head” table (DH2nd; p. 235). It is the worst of the entries not including DEATH.

Usually when my players burn Fate Point to not die I ignore Critical Wound that would have otherwise killed them and make them stunned and unable to wake up without medical help or at least some rest.

But yeah, players often forget that there are bionics in this universe and any organ can be replaced. And if your player is ok with loss of face that's great! Psyker seeing through his "third eye" seems cool. You can also talk with him about special features of this kind of perception. What would stand out for him from the background? What will obstruct his new vision? Are there things that blocked his normal seeing before and now they don't?