Sign in to follow this  
masterchief7390

Help creating arch-villains (Sidious and Abeloth)

Hello,

I've played the Star Wars rpg off and on for several years now. I've got some experience with the Saga Edition, but I decided to try to make the jump to Fantasy Flight's version. I'm looking forward to playing the game, but I'd also like to start dabbling in character creation. Me and my whole group are still wrapping our heads around the differences in the two systems. I said all that to say this: We're taking turns Game-mastering and I want to start preparing for my turn now by creating the characters I need and testing them in staged encounters so that I can familiarize myself with subtleties of the game in my spare time. In this way, I hope to know my arch-villains inside and out so that I'm perfectly prepared for the players and I don't give them a villain too overpowered or too underpowered. I'm hoping to use Darth Sidious (RotS style) and Abeloth (FotJ) as inspiration for my arch-villains. Since I'm still going over the rules myself, I honestly wouldn't even know what skills, talents, etc. they ought to have. Also, the fact that there are no "character levels" seems to be a good move, but also leaves me wondering how much Experience they ought to have. I hope this isn't too much to ask, but I'd sure appreciate it if someone could share some ideas or tell what their builds on these characters are, or even just some tips on how to go from learning the new system to becoming a game-master.

Thanks! :)

P.S. I have all 3 Fantasy Flight core rulebooks.

If you have the F&D core, in the adversary chapter, there's a part about Inquisitors. It has a list of options so GMs can custom make their own Nemesis. Also, the Edge of the Empire GM kit has some advice for making nemeses. And, in general, every Nemesis in the books can be used as the basis for a primary antagonist.

Generally, every adversary the party will confront will only need the skills and talents the GM plans on using. So don't bother buffing skills or stats that you don't think they'll ever need. Also, don't bother with talents like Dodge or Side Step, and instead use the adversary-only Adversary talent, which does the same thing but is easier to track (although talents like Parry and Reflect are needed if the party has lightsabers). You also don't have to bother with talents like Grit, Toughened or Enduring; just give the nemesis a wound/strain/soak level you think it should have.

New members have to go through a post approval process. So it's not uncommon for their posts to be burred. It's unfortunate, but kudos to you for giving it the bump.

Fair warning, FFG RPG does not do "many vs 1" solo encounters very well. NPCs, even scary ones, tend to have enough defenses (soak, wounds, ranks in adversary) to last 2 or 3 rounds against a group of PCs before they tank. When the PCs finally square off against the arch-villain, take a note from George Lucas and split the party. Have each group fulfill a critical piece of the narrative. They should be facing challenges that only they're equipped to handle. If you are going to do the raid-style encounter, check out the squad and squadron rules from the Age of Rebellion GM Kit. This essentially gives the adversary some minions to take hits for them.

Next piece of advice. NPCs are not built using the same rules as PCs. The GM is allowed to cheat. They can have any talent or ability that makes sense for them to have and to fulfill the roll they are meant to fulfill. You can even have the NPC take multiple initiative slots, if the encounter calls for it.

So for a BBEG, 2-4 ranks of Adversary should be a good start. If they are a lightsaber user, 5-7 ranks of Parry and Reflect will help in longevity. Give them a defense of 1. Soak of 5 at least, and 4+ ranks in their primary combat ability (Melee, Lightsaber, Ranged, Force Rating, etc..)

I'll second Blackbird888's suggestion of reading up on the Inquisitor rules in the Force and Destiny CRB.

Edited by kaosoe

I appreciate it. I'll take those suggestions into account. I'm looking to make these villains the "final encounter" villains and they will probably be pulling strings over the course of several campaigns before the "final fight". How much experience would you guess the 4 heroes (1 bounty hunter, 2 jedi, 1 spy) ought to have for such an encounter? (they would take on these villains in two separate encounters.)

Asking how much experience is kind of a broad target. If you award experience per session, some groups can move at a brisk pace, completing stories faster, while others may spend entire sessions on only a handful of encounters. I would just go with the flow, then adjust the final boss stats accordingly.