Sign in to follow this  
KAGE13

Store Championship Rulers are Annoying

I just want to point out I am very disappointed with rulers that we got at the store championships. 

FFG thank you for the prize...but;

#1 - I have 2 core sets and those 2 rulers are already have different range and distance lengths.  These store championship rulers, despite being the same length as the core set ones are even longer on each range and distance then both my core sets.  So, being the competitive person that I am, I have to use them. 

#2 - Using them is very annoying.  I'm very disappointed they are not printed on 2 sides.

One-Tool Rule: A player can only use one tool at a time when measuring range, distance, or movement. A tool is defined as the range ruler, the maneuver tool, or another component such as a token. This rule is intended to prevent slow play, as defined on page 5.

I submit that this now actually slows the game down because these rulers are separate.  Instead of just flipping it over I actually have to swap them out.  As I often seem to look at range and distances at the same time.  Especially since a lot of times you are carefully placing it between ships and squadrons. 

has anyone tried gluing them together yet?  I'm wondering if they would be too thick and unwieldy. 

It is actually easy to get used to the one ruler tool. I use the distance side more than anything. Just remember that Medium range is a tiny bit ahead of Distance 3.

As for the length of each area, that is due to punch out.

All in all I am used to the use of dual rulers because I have been using Google CorSecEng dual rulers for about 6 months.

My complaint with the rulers is just that one set of mine were bent and nothing I can do straightens them out. I'm going to find a way to cut them down to rang 1 and close fire range rulers so the bend won't be an issue.

Fortunately I got 2 sets as my buddy who uses my extra stuff got 6th in the store championship we went to otherwise I would be pissed.

I'd like to add that in terms of range, my (non bent) ones match my cardboard perfectly. Arguably better than my Litko ones.

My complaint with the rulers is just that one set of mine were bent and nothing I can do straightens them out. I'm going to find a way to cut them down to rang 1 and close fire range rulers so the bend won't be an issue.

Fortunately I got 2 sets as my buddy who uses my extra stuff got 6th in the store championship we went to otherwise I would be pissed.

I'd like to add that in terms of range, my (non bent) ones match my cardboard perfectly. Arguably better than my Litko ones.

The rulers I won, at the same tourney you received yours, are also bent and unusable. Nothing I've tried has straightened them enough to be playable:

• Put under heavy weights for days
  • Submerged in boiling water, straightened, and instantly submerged in ice water. This trick works great for plastic minis, but not on this ruler.
  • Flexing them with my hands for long periods of time
  • Having them counter-bent for days with various tools.

Nope, still bent. I took pics and sent them to FFGs broken parts department. No reply yet. That was 5 days ago.

FWIW, I received my metal coin in the mail and it's SOLID. Quite nice. Maybe I'll try placing it on my rulers to straighten them......

I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em.

My 2 Year old just folded my only Cardboard Ruler in Half.

That's what happens if you try to teach your twoyearold how to play armada.....

I heard that she was winning too. :D

I just want to point out I am very disappointed with rulers that we got at the store championships. 

#1 - I have 2 core sets and those 2 rulers are already have different range and distance lengths.  These store championship rulers, despite being the same length as the core set ones are even longer on each range and distance then both my core sets.  So, being the competitive person that I am, I have to use them. 

#2 - Using them is very annoying.  I'm very disappointed they are not printed on 2 sides.

One-Tool Rule: A player can only use one tool at a time when measuring range, distance, or movement. A tool is defined as the range ruler, the maneuver tool, or another component such as a token. This rule is intended to prevent slow play, as defined on page 5.

I submit that this now actually slows the game down because these rulers are separate.  Instead of just flipping it over I actually have to swap them out.  As I often seem to look at range and distances at the same time.  Especially since a lot of times you are carefully placing it between ships and squadrons. 

has anyone tried gluing them together yet?  I'm wondering if they would be too thick and unwieldy. 

The different ranges is probably just printing variables from the card stock items.

As for switching between two rules... C'mon man!

Literally your whole post is whining over millimeters (or halves there of) and seconds switching between rulers...

The different ranges is probably just printing variables from the card stock items.

As for switching between two rules... C'mon man!

Literally your whole post is whining over millimeters (or halves there of) and seconds switching between rulers...

I think (since I'm not KAGE13) his point isn't that he have to switch, but rather that the "One tool rule" (among many other tournament rules) are there just to speed up the game. However, with these prize-rulers, the rules actually have a opposite effects, i.e. increased game time (since you can't use both at the same time, and therefore need to switch all the time).

How often are you switching between Range and Distance that it will in any way at all 'slow the game down'.

I already use acrylic rulers (like a good many players) and it is not a problem at all.

Honestly this is a storm in a very small teacup.

Edited by DWRR

My Applied Perspective ruler is double sided, so I'm giving my Store Champ Rulers to a buddy.

Sorry Dras, he got here first. :P

Its cool.  I don't get my Chance for Top 8 until the End of the Month...  So I'll have to borrow while I'm practicing...  If I get to practice...  Might be commentating on streaming instead...

The rulers I won, at the same tourney you received yours, are also bent and unusable. Nothing I've tried has straightened them enough to be playable:

• Put under heavy weights for days
  • Submerged in boiling water, straightened, and instantly submerged in ice water. This trick works great for plastic minis, but not on this ruler.
  • Flexing them with my hands for long periods of time
  • Having them counter-bent for days with various tools.

Nope, still bent. I took pics and sent them to FFGs broken parts department. No reply yet. That was 5 days ago.

FWIW, I received my metal coin in the mail and it's SOLID. Quite nice. Maybe I'll try placing it on my rulers to straighten them......

Yeah ditto, I tried everything. If they designed them to be bent like this they could not have done a better job!

I agree with the coin being awesome though, I'm totally going to use it to protect my hand when playing poker, or if I ever need to weigh down the back of my car in a snow storm...

I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em.

My 2 Year old just folded my only Cardboard Ruler in Half.

I feel your pain. My three year-old snapped the peg off of my CR90.

Mine snapped my CR90 Nebulon-B pegs off where the peg meets the base on my AF and 2 of my T-70 are missing there lasers.

And I still let him play with them