Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

So what happened that caused FFG to create a banned list?

I have played competitive HeroClix and seen people with hot dice and try to fake click their figures. It's sad that people want to win so badly they will resort to things like that. For me, I'll probably just flip my deck over fan it face up and then shuffle it. Offer a cut.

At some events Judges will check damage decks. Madness in Dallas does this during the Regional events. They randomly pick a couple tables each round and check both decks. That's really all it takes. A bit of spot checking and you dramatically increase the risk for people trying to cheat.

That's a great idea. Hopefully FFG makes that a tournament standard. Stores should spot-check a random 10% of damage decks at every tournament.

That's like 2 or 3 decks at most.

I will never forget back in the day when I was a TO for a little known game called Raw Deal. We had about 15 regulars who came to our tournaments. One guy in particular was tearing it up with his deck the league before our tournament. Well one of my friends played him first round and the guy played the same exact cards, the same exact way, first turn. You might be saying well this isn't anything special, all of them were unique. So my friend mentioned this in passing, I walked over to where he was playing next round and sure enough, same cards, same turn, played in the same manner. Now I knew something was fishy, so after the round was over I politely mentioned that you could ask for cut your opponents deck. Well when his next opponent said he wanted to cut his deck, Cheater Dude flew off the handle. After that he finished out of the cut going a massively awesome 2-4. Shortly after, lies were made, emails sent and I was replaced as TO by Cheater. So yeah cheaters stink! 

I will never forget back in the day when I was a TO for a little known game called Raw Deal. We had about 15 regulars who came to our tournaments. One guy in particular was tearing it up with his deck the league before our tournament. Well one of my friends played him first round and the guy played the same exact cards, the same exact way, first turn. You might be saying well this isn't anything special, all of them were unique. So my friend mentioned this in passing, I walked over to where he was playing next round and sure enough, same cards, same turn, played in the same manner. Now I knew something was fishy, so after the round was over I politely mentioned that you could ask for cut your opponents deck. Well when his next opponent said he wanted to cut his deck, Cheater Dude flew off the handle. After that he finished out of the cut going a massively awesome 2-4. Shortly after, lies were made, emails sent and I was replaced as TO by Cheater. So yeah cheaters stink! 

Raw Deal was a fun game, of WILD imbalance.

Well I found the original thread on CardgameDB, and I have to say, it's actually a hilarious read. He made a sock-puppet account to support him, and forgot to switch accounts when posting, so he posted as his sock-puppet.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28384-us-nationals-video-shows-winning-eldorath-player-repeatedly-drew-3-cards-in-the-hq-phases-of-finals-and-semi-finals/

He responds page 6, screws up page 7 or 8.

Edited by YwingAce

Wasn't there a case of someone fixing there damage deck for X-wing?

Several. Heard many a story about different folks doing it.

Most memorable was the guy flying a Decimator who pulled all the Direct Hits out and replaced them with crap. You decide to rig your damage deck, then fly the ship most likely to allow your list to receive multiple crits....

So now I am in a quandary: do I start counting damage deck to be sure there are 33 cards AND verify that there are the 7 direct hits, or do I remember that 1) this is just a game, 2) that anyone who cheats at a game is a jackass and 3) that if I did find out they were cheating I might be inclined to throat punch them (so therefore given these things I just play and don't really worry about it).....

Don't count the cards. That just means that you're letting one person's douchebaggery take away a little bit of fun from every competitive game you play forever.

Instead, consider how sad and pathetic someone's life needs to be for him/her to think it's a good idea to cheat at the plastic spaceships game. Even if that person "wins", without getting caught, he/she will always know that the victory was hollow.

Even if someone is CAUGHT cheating at this kind of game, the proper response is pity rather than anger.

Counting someone's cards, just not cutting someone's deck in any card game, is not an accusation towards that person. There are any number of legitimate reasons a person's damage deck could be over or short a card round to round throughout a tournament. Counting to make sure there are 33, if anything is doing your opponent a favor. If they are short a card because perhaps it fell on the floor last game, at least they know prior to the start of the game so it can be fixed. If a players deck is found to be illegal mid round they are 90% going to be saddled with a game loss, so thier opponent providing a quick count prior to the game is extra protection against that, not just cheating.

TOs should be performing random damage deck checks throughout the event. You don't have to check every deck, but just checking some will offer enough added incentive to ensure that players are making sure thier damage deck is in proper order. Whether you are preventing negligence or out right cheating, it's still worth doing.

Counting to make sure there are 33, if anything is doing your opponent a favor. If they are short a card because perhaps it fell on the floor last game, at least they know prior to the start of the game so it can be fixed.

I actually count my own damage deck before and after each game, for this exact reason.

Well I found the original thread on CardgameDB, and I have to say, it's actually a hilarious read. He made a sock-puppet account to support him, and forgot to switch accounts when posting, so he posted as his sock-puppet.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28384-us-nationals-video-shows-winning-eldorath-player-repeatedly-drew-3-cards-in-the-hq-phases-of-finals-and-semi-finals/

It's hilarious how he keeps shooting himself in the foot.

Counting to make sure there are 33, if anything is doing your opponent a favor. If they are short a card because perhaps it fell on the floor last game, at least they know prior to the start of the game so it can be fixed.

I actually count my own damage deck before and after each game, for this exact reason.

I do this out of habit from the when I played Magic. I should probably look at what's in the damage deck other than 7 direct hits at some point though.

It's hilarious how he keeps shooting himself in the foot.

I read through and I didn't realize he posted under the puppet account mistakenly TWICE.

"This is my last remark" - puppet

"Uhh he sent that to me to post" - puppet

"I totally sent that to him to post" - still the puppet

"Uhh he sent the clarification to me too" - also the puppet

LOL  :lol:

We could just check each others' decks before each game and disregard anyone who gets pissy.

If they raise an objection they're either cheating, or they're a ****** bag and need to be aggravated at every possible opportunity to show that no one is going to tolerate being a ****** bag for no reason. Seriously, you're not cheating, why is this angering you?

I'm going to start doing this. Certain hot heads can be put on tilt very easily by stuff like this and not having to wait for them to miss an opportunity to tilt them seems golden.

Players that I enjoy playing with that enjoy games with me wouldn't mind because they're reasonable people.

People should be able to play this game and laugh about it. You should be able to start chanting, "choke choke choke" as your opponent is rolling defense and both have a good laugh about it. Your opponent should be able to deny you a missed trigger and your response should be to accept it instead of getting pissy.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Wow that is..... just....awesome and terrible.   Terrisome.

Watching the video, there's no way that was accidental.  You can see him count out three cards and hold in place, then add them to his hand as quickly as possible.

At what time in the video does it happen?

Well I found the original thread on CardgameDB, and I have to say, it's actually a hilarious read. He made a sock-puppet account to support him, and forgot to switch accounts when posting, so he posted as his sock-puppet.http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28384-us-nationals-video-shows-winning-eldorath-player-repeatedly-drew-3-cards-in-the-hq-phases-of-finals-and-semi-finals/

Wow that is..... just....awesome and terrible.   Terrisome.

Oh my... This very very sad indeed... :(

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to sock-puppets...

We could just check each others' decks before each game and disregard anyone who gets pissy.

If they raise an objection they're either cheating, or they're a ****** bag and need to be aggravated at every possible opportunity to show that no one is going to tolerate being a ****** bag for no reason. Seriously, you're not cheating, why is this angering you?

I'm going to start doing this. Certain hot heads can be put on tilt very easily by stuff like this and not having to wait for them to miss an opportunity to tilt them seems golden.

Players that I enjoy playing with that enjoy games with me wouldn't mind because they're reasonable people.

People should be able to play this game and laugh about it. You should be able to start chanting, "choke choke choke" as your opponent is rolling defense and both have a good laugh about it. Your opponent should be able to deny you a missed trigger and your response should be to accept it instead of getting pissy.

I'm glad I've never evolved in to that guy. My grandmother made me uber competitive but I've always managed to have a laugh about it as well.

Last league night I spent most of the games laughing and joking as my green dice just went ice cold.

Some times people really need to step back and think about how playing with our plastic ships fits in to the bigger picture.