Sign in to follow this  
playnwin

eStormtroopers or rStormtroopers?

So, I've got a Store Championship coming up, and I have a pretty solid grasp on what I plan on bringing. My core consists of Darth Vader and two rOfficers. I've been playing with three rStormtroopers to finish the list, but have been contemplating switching it to two eStormtroopers. I unfortunately don't have time to grab another game before the tournament, so I came here for some feedback. Which of the two (or maybe some other option) would you bring to fill that 18 point gap?

Hard to say, but depends on your local store's current lists. If you have a lot of double dice defense uniques, then the eStormtroopers may be better, since Last Stand can give them the extra punch to get through larger two die defenses. If not, more shots will wear down any list. I myself would probably take the eStormtroopers since it's far more likely that they can live through getting shot, which may equate into getting more shots anyway, and they hit just a bit harder as well.

For the last 18pts I'd say eStormtroopers for sure, and then see how you want to fill those last 9 points.  Perhaps rStormtroopers and a Probe Droid, or rTroopers and RulebyFear and an Officer?  Pick one that appeals to you.  But IMHO, eTroopers are where it's at.

eStorm are categorically superior. The +2 damage surge and focus lets them hit tougher targets. Defensively, the higher health makes them near impossible to 1shot, whereas when I was using regular Troopers I got 1 shot all the time. This durability is doubled when you use Reinforcements to put a figure they spent at least 2 and probably 3 attacks to kill back on the board.

2x eStorm is your best bet

You should always be playing elites over regulars. The extra surge damage, surge accuracy and health are worth the 1pt per model increase. And then you get Last Stand in top of that.

Adding Reinforcements on top of all that makes eStormtroopers probably the most efficient unit in the game after the errata nerfs.