Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Wave 3 will be announced in April

In fact, it is probably already at the printer and may-well be on the boat NOW. 

FFG's presence at Adepticon has been getting a huge amount of press.  It's going to be a big deal.   Also the Asmodee thing happens April 1st.  And this also applies to the online sales thing.  They don't want online retailers like miniature market and coolstuffinc selling their product online for the cheap anymore, and this starts April 1st - so it makes perfect sense that they aren't going to announce ANYTHING that comes out after April 1st.... well, before Adepticon.  If they announce it now, then online retailers can put it up for preorder now, and that throws a wrench in their plans.   

Now you say "But they've been pimping Rebellion".   Well that comes out BEFORE April.  Same with X-Wing's next wave.  This isn't an Armada Draught - this is an entire FFG Blackout until April.

But once April hits - hold on to your horses.   We are probably going to get news for Armada, X-Wing, Imperial Assault, maybe even something totally new.   Maybe some new game altogether.   The real question at this point is "What will the delay be".   I have no doubt that these products are already, and have already been in development for some time.   Some stuff might already be on the boat that we don't even know about.   They sort-of did that with the Force Awakens core set, for X-Wing.   We had never even heard of it until someone had it in a stockroom at Target and spoiled it.  I doubt we'll see the previous 8+ month development cycle for Wave 3, beginning in April, because that would be awful.   That would mean that we get no new product for Armada in all of 2016, and I seriously doubt that.  It'll probably be announced in April and then on store shelves in July or something, with Wave 4 possibly by the end of the year if we're lucky. 

Or imagine if they have it early and it's on SALE in April!   My head will explode. 

Is this mostly speculation or do you have some actual evidence of this? I feel like announcements have usually slowed down in January and February after the end of the year push, so I was figuring this was just a normal slow phase for FFG. Of course, I'll buy your theory if you've got any solid evidence.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavour of this magnitude!

Have you ever noticed how they put that guy in charge, and all he does is point out the obvious, be pessimistic and keep trying to get them all to run away? Lando was the real MVP of that battle, no idea why Ackbar gets so much credit.

It's just what I've put together based on everything they have publicly stated. 

Starting in April, the regulations kick in for online retailers.  (retailers could pre-sell preorders early if something was announced now)

Starting in April, the merger happens.

Starting in April, Adepticon happens.

Starting in April, we'll otherwise have nothing new for any game at all....  And FFG ALWAYS has new stuff on the horizon....

So I'm just putting the pieces together. 

I could see them holding off on an announcement until April, but I'd be shocked if they had it on sale by then.

I've never known FFG to not announce something at least a few months in advance. The shortest wait I know of was the GR-75 which was still like 3-4 months.

Maybe, and this is a maybe....they learned from their mistakes? 

As much as I love 30 dollar star destroyers, we all know it wont last forever...and people at FFG have already got a dry erase board up with the words "how to prevent this".

Besides, it's gotta be hurting LGS sales when your customers know/see you as over charging when they see an ISD or Home One on sale at Mini Market for 30 bucks to your 50. 

Starting in April, the regulations kick in for online retailers.  (retailers could pre-sell preorders early if something was announced now)

Starting in April, we'll otherwise have nothing new for any game at all....  And FFG ALWAYS has new stuff on the horizon....

Uh merger?

What regulations are they implementing for online retailers? 

" They don't want online retailers like miniature market and coolstuffinc selling their product online for the cheap anymore"

Their sales are going to drop through the floor. I know 6 players around here who would stop buying any new ships right off the bat. Just not worth the prices they want for things.

April 1st huh?

There's just something about that date... Hmmm...

It's exactly a month before May Day. That'll be what you're thinking of. It's also George Lucas' birthday.

What regulations are they implementing for online retailers? 

Imperial tithes, to be sent in unmarked containers to the Endor system.

The Merger between Asmodee and Fantasy Flight Games.

T'was announced a few months ago.

More than a few months ... reading up was Nov of 2014.  Merger seems to be the wrong word for it given that the terms seem to be more an acquisition of FFG by Asmodee. 

Hard to know how these things might ultimately go and if FFG will retain creative independence. 

I'm sure they're not going to Jack prices up overnight. That is a death sentence to any company. The MSRP will likely remain as is, just simply sell them at a higher price to resellers, giving a better price to brick and mortar stores to help compete.

That being said, if everything sold at MSRP my purchases would dry up considerably. I can't afford to buy two games worth of minis at full price all the time.

April 1st huh?

There's just something about that date... Hmmm...

It's exactly a month before May Day. That'll be what you're thinking of. It's also George Lucas' birthday.

No, I don't think that's it. It's more something with that specific date. April 1st... April Fo... April Force?  Hmmm, I'll have to give it more thought.