Sign in to follow this  
Jaden Ckast

When will ffg use a plane instead of a row boat?

It wasn't long ago people were complaining that the waves were coming too fast, not leaving enough time for a meta to develop fully, and putting some financial pressure on people. Heck, a few were even complaining that it was a cash grab. Now the complaint is that it's "a bit late", because it didn't appear at the exact same time as the T70/fo. 

I'm excited to get the stupidly large number of TAPs I've pre-ordered, but I'm utterly ok with waiting, because six weeks ago I bought T70s and /fo's. If a four-ship wave (with two at hefty price points by themselves) dropped within a few days/weeks of those, putting them firmly in the Christmas-is-over-and-my-wallet-is-empty season, they'd have sold like a balloon full of farts.

It wouldn't shock me at all if the release was put back to mid-Feb as a sales driven decision, rather than a shipping/distribution one. 

It wasn't long ago people were complaining that the waves were coming too fast, not leaving enough time for a meta to develop fully, and putting some financial pressure on people. Heck, a few were even complaining that it was a cash grab. Now the complaint is that it's "a bit late", because it didn't appear at the exact same time as the T70/fo. 

Probably not the same group of people, guy.

Not entirely, no. There's a crossover, but the point is people need to relax a bit. They'll get here. Screaming from the Internet rooftops that they're coming too fast or too slow won't really do a whole lot, apart from get really old, really fast.

Travel time only makes about 17% of total time spent between A and B. While it is possible to cross the ocean in a week or two, handling the freight, doing paperwork and ensuring everything is safe and without bombs takes four times as much time. More so if you're changing modes of transit. You also take two black dice due to doing all of the above during winter.

Wave 8 on the boat was december 17th, by the way.

If this is correct then wave 8 is not late at all.

I also agree with Warpman that this isn't a licensing approval issue. I don't see any way that they would start production on anything without the proper approvals. Heck, they likely had pretty much all the necessary approvals when we first saw the unpainted models at GenCon.

I think the big issue here that's gotten people riled up is the spacing of the spoilers. I've heard on multiple occasions that with Asmodee they are working towards a consistent global release. If that is true my best guess is that FFG simply didn't have the timing quite right for their schedule of spoiler releases. Either there was a holdup somewhere or they just overestimated that would explain why we are still waiting on the Jumpmaster 5000 spoiler.

But again, if these went on the boat on December 17th they really aren't late at all, it just feels like it because of the spoilers we got already.

Never mind the Wave 8 stuff. I don't mind waiting considering what I have planned for the store championships :)

We in  Australia won't even have our tournament kits for the upcoming store championships until after most if not all store championships have completed. 

Tra-juh-dee

I also agree with Warpman that this isn't a licensing approval issue. I don't see any way that they would start production on anything without the proper approvals. Heck, they likely had pretty much all the necessary approvals when we first saw the unpainted models at GenCon.

So that sign saying pending licensor approval at Spiel was just what, a smoke screen?

So that sign saying pending licensor approval at Spiel was just what, a smoke screen?

You can call it whatever you feel like but there is basically zero chance that they didn't have all the necessary approvals prior to starting production, let alone have everything packaged and shipped from China in mid December.

You can call it whatever you feel like but there is basically zero chance that they didn't have all the necessary approvals prior to starting production, let alone have everything packaged and shipped from China in mid December.

Which is what I've been saying all along: they didn't have all the approvals in early October.

It's only the largest boardgame trade fair in the world after all, it makes sense that right outside the business lounge of Asmodee they provide false information on what is arguably their hottest product line.

Which is what I've been saying all along: they didn't have all the approvals in early October.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I don't know when Spiel was. All I know is a generalized time frame based off of the info that FFG released for production and shipping which was sometime in November for the former and mid December for the later.

Nobody in their right mind sends these ships into production without approval. Depending on the specific model and the volume produced for it (including packaging and shipping) you are talking about a substantial financial loss if they had to pull something back and change it this late in the process.

And again, my primary point is that these ships aren't even really late. People just think they are based upon the spoiler releases.

I kind of wish FFG would just do what GW does: Announce the product a week before it hits shelves. Waiting for half a year is annoying, and not knowing when the product is actually releasing is beyond irritating, especially as the release date varies wildly from shop to shop.

Another options is the Wizards model. Announce release date, have a preview month, get the stuff out everywhere on time, simultaneously.

But, then you get the crazy periods when there is no news. A bunch of sky is falling threads.

Besides, with how their distribution works, we would know about them from the retailer's pre-order sheets. That's how we got info on Imperial Veterans before they put the article up.