Sign in to follow this  
X Wing Nut

Coins Really?

Am I the only one who does not like them and wish FFG would bring back medals?

when ever I won a tournament I would pin the Medal to my shirt and where it the rest of the day letting others know that I returned victories from an epic struggle of good vs evil. the first time I came home from wining my first tournament I told my wife of the adventures I had she just rolled her eyes and said "do you want a medal?" I said "No I won one".

Now as a reward for bringing peace to the galaxy I am given a coin that will most likely fall out of my pocket on the drive home into the spot between the seat and the centre console never to be seen again. Without a medal pined to my/your chest people who pass me/you in the street will have no idea of my/your accomplishment and would not know a hero walks among them.

Now the only way people will know we are hero's is if someone taps us on the shoulder and passes us back our coin and say's "here you dropped this" or asks us to help them pick between 2 options. This can also only happen as long as we don't make the mistake useing the coin in a vending machine to buy a bar of chocolate.

Imagine how our Olympic athletes would feel if instead of medals they to were given coins? 

At least a gold coin would have some worth.

Please help show your support by adding your voice to the call to get Medals back into the tournament kits.

Even in the new alt art card for VI the pilot is holding a medal!!!

Edited by X Wing Nut

Personally I really like the coin, and getting one was pretty much my whole goal at the store championship I went to.  There's actual use to it unlike the medals (pretty much just flipping for initiative but still). That said I'm a sucker for the medals too.  But isn't the coin just for store champ?  Winter kit is still a medal, and I assume the summer will be again too.

Edited by RsRabin

I have an unusual affinity for game-related coins. I don't exactly collect them with any gusto, but I don't hate 'em when they fall into my lap.

.... But I'd prefer a medal, too. 

But would prefer more Alt. Arts or acrylics and scrap the whole medal/coin altogether. 

Personally I really like the coin, and getting one was pretty much my whole goal at the store championship I went to.  There's actual use to it unlike the medals (pretty much just flipping for initiative but still). That said I'm a sucker for the medals too.  But isn't the coin just for store champ?  Winter kit is still a medal, and I assume the summer will be again too.

Can't speak for the as yet unannounced summer kit but the just announced spring kits have coins too. 

I like coins or medals for this type of reward.  There are plenty of coins and tokens and rulers being given out that work with the game.  I would prefer that they not make it some rare reward that gives someone a bonus or is game breakingly good.  Special dice work, but those are usually reserved for a higher tier.  I do like the Playmats from the X-Wing Open, so I'm not opposed to other options... but it will have to be something economical as there are going to be a lot of them given out and not something that impacts standard gameplay.

I love the coins. Ever since the 2013 lcg regionals was wondering if they would be back and they are. I carry my store championship coin all the time.

Funny thing is, there was one of those LCG coins included in the prize support in a side tournament at our X-Wing regionals last year. I ended up with the coin and I thought it was absolutely cool. I guess that gave me a slight head start, lol.

Medals were great.

However, the coins are thick, heavy duty, wonderful feeling, overall awesome to own. Maybe it's just my childhood love of collsomething silver dollars and odd large coins coming back into it idk.

I just know I am NOT disappointed by the change.

I also feel like i want to collect more than 1 of the coins, then challenge people for them, as i assume they are intended. The medals only felt worth getting if i earned them myself, at the tourney they were awarded, and owning more than one of each medal felt weird. Id give away a medal to 2nd place if i already had it. Selling them even felt weird. Challenge Coins though, I will gladly hoard.

Edited by phild0

Eh. Coins are useless, but so are medals. However, the coin shape is better for a lastimg memento of a game that I once enjoyed.

That said, the 'military tradition' of challenge coins is lame and the idea that such a tradition should be followed in relation to the X-Wing Miniatures game is even worse.

Edited by Rapture

That said, the 'military tradition' of challenge coins is lame and the idea that such a tradition should be followed in relation to the X-Wing Miniatures game is even worse.

Especially since most people will have to look up what those things actually mean. FFG might have realized that not just (ex-)military Americans play this game, you'd think. By now.