Sign in to follow this  
Lord Vapor

Urgency command card

Hi,

I need a little help understanding this card.

Urgency: => gain a number of movement points equal to your speed +2

Does this mean that you get double movement points plus 2 more?

ie. Figure has 4 movement, it would gain 4 more movement and another 2 to equal 10.

Thanks

Urgency is a special action your figure takes.  This special action gives the number of movement points equal to your speed + 2.

So if a figure has 4 movement, it would gain 4 + 2 = 6 movement points.  This also consumed an action, so your figure has one action left.  After this Urgency is discarded and irrelevant.  If you wanted to spend your second action on movement, you could get an additional 4 movement points to go 10 spaces, but I don't think this is what you were asking.

An important fact about this card and any special action that grants movement points - they must all be spent before you take another action, otherwise they are lost.

So, with these 6 points, you cannot move 5, attack, then move 1 more.  Once you attack, the remaining 1 is lost.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Ok, I'm clear on the card.

The way it is worded is a bit confusing.

Essentially, it is a bonus +2 movement points.

I see how it is special and can not be broken up like normal movement.

Thanks for the help!

An important fact about this card and any special action that grants movement points - they must all be spent before you take another action, otherwise they are lost.

So, with these 6 points, you cannot move 5, attack, then move 1 more.  Once you attack, the remaining 1 is lost.

I disagree. It's a special action, but it's a special action that the figure is taking on its activation, and it's only granting you movement points. How you spend those movement points is no different than if you were taking a move action. They do not have to be spent immediately, and they absolutely can be broken up.

RRRrrrEEEeeerRRrT.  (Needle suddenly scratching across record as music comes to a jarring halt.)

Stubobj has reminded me below, yet again, why I never say "I know all the rules to Imperial Assault." Because there's always some dumb thing tucked away somewhere far from where I would look for the answer.

RRG pg 3.

Actions

4th bullet point.

"Movement points can be spent before or after performing an action. If movement points are gained as part of a special action, they must be spent immediately during that action."

So, apologies to DTDanix, but they're right. It appears that if you use Urgency, you have to use the movement points then and there. What a silly counter-intuitive rule that should absolutely be listed under Movement Points. Darn you FFG!

RRG pg. 20:

Movement Points

"Any time a figure gains movement points, they are added to the remaining total of movement points that figure possesses.", even if the current total is zero.  I've added that notation as I've found it clarifies something.

"A figure is not required to spend all of the movement points it possesses, but at the end of its activation, it loses all of its remaining movement points."

"If a figure gains movement points when it is not its activation, those movement points must be spent immediately as an interrupt or be lost."

*edited after being shown the error of my ways, but kept the rules part.

Edited by R5D8

Apparently, there was some goofball ruling at an event (which was wrong). And its incorrectness has spread (I blame BoardGameGeek).

You **DO NOT** lose movement points and **ARE NOT** prevented from splitting movement because you played Urgency.

There's a fun link in my signature.

But we've hashed all this out before (which I am struggling to find at the moment). The Special Action in this case is "gain movement points" nothing more. Spending movement points is not an action. At what point between generating those movement points and losing them (cause as soon as they generate, the Special Action has resolved) do you get a chance to use them?

I am under the impression that the "immediately during that action" language is for special actions that include something in addition to generating movement points, like an attack.

According to this interpretation, using Urgency would provide movement points +2, which you would then immediately lose because the of the text "immediately during that action". I am not seeing a timing window that would allow for otherwise, since you cant spend movement points while resolving an action.

"Movement Points", RRG, Page 20:

Spending movement points is not an action and may be done at any time during the figure’s activation. They can be spent before or after performing any action but cannot be spent while resolving an action.

But hey, here's another example of something that it poorly worded and self-contradictory. Best get official clarification from Paul and the gang and move on. If I am wrong, awesome. If not, awesome.

I could buy that, but then is there anything in the game where that rule about spending them or losing them applies?

The rule about actions suggests that if you gain movement from a special action, you also spend it during that action.  I think your timing window conflict argument isn't really relevant.

There's a fun link in my signature.

But we've hashed all this out before (which I am struggling to find at the moment). The Special Action in this case is "gain movement points" nothing more. Spending movement points is not an action. At what point between generating those movement points and losing them (cause as soon as they generate, the Special Action has resolved) do you get a chance to use them?

I am under the impression that the "immediately during that action" language is for special actions that include something in addition to generating movement points, like an attack.

According to this interpretation, using Urgency would provide movement points +2, which you would then immediately lose because the of the text "immediately during that action". I am not seeing a timing window that would allow for otherwise, since you cant spend movement points while resolving an action."Movement Points", RRG, Page 20: Spending movement points is not an action and may be done at any time during the figure’s activation. They can be spent before or after performing any action but cannot be spent while resolving an action.

But hey, here's another example of something that it poorly worded and self-contradictory. Best get official clarification from Paul and the gang and move on. If I am wrong, awesome. If not, awesome.

Others have already tried to direct your attention to the section on page 3 in the RRG:

image.jpg

There is no doubt IMO that Urgency and as another example Leia's Battlefield Command are both examples of Special Actions that gives you Movement Poi Y's which MUST be spent immediately during that action as stated in the section above

I'm sorry Fizz, but as the RRG states you are simply wrong with this. The wording is clear. Urgency is a Special Action which grants you movement points. So the quoted parts hold true and you have to spend them immediately during that action. 

You do not loose movement points which are in your pool before taking the urgency action if you mean that. Just consider it as a "One-Time-Pool" of Speed + 2 Movement points which is discarded after that Action. 

RRG p3 Actions:

Movement points can be spent before or after performing
an action. If movement points are gained as part of a special
action, they must be spent immediately during that action

I went ahead and sent this to the link.  I'll post the response when I receive it, though these days it is taking longer and longer. :)

Urgency Emergency!

The command card Urgency gives a figure a special action that grants it movement points equal to its movement +2.

"Movement Points"
RRG, Page 20:

Spending movement points is not an action and may be done at any time during the figure’s activation. They can be spent before or after performing any action but cannot be spent while resolving an action.

"Actions"
RRG pg 3.
4th bullet point.

"Movement points can be spent before or after performing an action. If movement points are gained as part of a special action, they must be spent immediately during that action."

There appears to be some discussion on whether you can break up your Urgency movement points, some say because you got it from a special action, any movement points you gain from that which aren't spent when you perform another action are lost. Others state that there's no 'timing instance' to follow, since as soon as you gain the movement points the action is over, and thus there's no chance to actually follow the rule on p3.

Do you have to spend all these Urgency movement points before you do anything else or can you break them up like normal movement points?

See, I knew that if you gained movement points outside of an activation it was a use it or lose it situation obviously. And when I read over this part in the rules, that what I assumed this was referring to again.

Then I played in a Store Championship and learned that Urgency was restricted in this way because of this rule. It follows this rule, but will be interested in seeing what FFG has to say.

Received a quick answer back, although it was the answer I feared. :)     :

Any movement points gained during Urgency must be spent as part of that action since they were gained from a special action. The movement points are not added to a pool that can be spent and divided throughout the activation.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Game Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

I'm wrong. I can admit that.

I still don't like the wording. Frickin' skirmish always has to be a special snowflake.

Edited by Fizz

So my next question after reading this and thinking the official answer to urgency is dumb would be:

Beast Tamer - exhaust this card at the start of a creature's activation for that figure to perform a move.

Do those points have to be spent all at once, or are they added to the pool and can be split up around other actions?

I'm really curious because I want to use this on the Bantha rider and do as many movement antics on him as I can. I get that if I stop the movement on any figures it will end his movement for the rest of that activation, but really want to know how the beast tamer works.

I'd love any feedback on the Bantha rider list I put up in the skirmish section too. Thanks!

So my next question after reading this and thinking the official answer to urgency is dumb would be:

Beast Tamer - exhaust this card at the start of a creature's activation for that figure to perform a move.

Do those points have to be spent all at once, or are they added to the pool and can be split up around other actions?

I'm really curious because I want to use this on the Bantha rider and do as many movement antics on him as I can. I get that if I stop the movement on any figures it will end his movement for the rest of that activation, but really want to know how the beast tamer works.

I'd love any feedback on the Bantha rider list I put up in the skirmish section too. Thanks!

Based on the wording of BT and the following section on p.19 in RRG and comparing to the sections discussed above I'd say that BT does simply count as having performed a movement action:

BT: exhaust this card at the start of a creature's activation for that figure to perform a move.

RRG p 19:  When a figure performs a move, it gains movement points equal to

its Speed.

So since BT isn't a special action and the points gained are gained during the figure's own activation I'd def say that you "bank" the  points and may spend them as you wish like the normal points.

Anyone agree/disagree??

There's little doubt in how Urgency is to be interpreted, but I do think that the design of the rule is somewhat uneven; moreso, as this rule is only mentioned under the Action header of the RRG and not under Movement (where you would expect to find it, especially as it contradicts the usual rules of having a sort of 'movement point bank' that you can draw on throughout your turn).

There are special actions wherein the movement element is clearly a part of the action and cannot be divided up or spent afterwards (Gaarkhan's charge for instance, although it doesn't actually use movement points) and then there are other ways to get movement points that are not gotten through a special action and thus not restricted in the same way as Urgency (Tactical Movement of Fenn or Mobile Tactician of Gideon). Urgency, however, or the movement component of the Vader's Finest Skirmish Upgrade for instance, then follow a completely different set of logic. Messy.

Ok, can someone clarify one more?

How about the Reward card "501st training"?

(tap): Perform an attack, then gain two movement points. (exact wording)

It's a special action and as thus those movement points must be used directly after the attack or be lost.

Whereas the two movement points gotten from attacking through another imperial reward card (via a surge), Imperial Industry, are not from a special action and as thus can be 'banked' in your movement point bank to use at your leisure at any time during your activation. Hence me finding these rules very clunky, where they could easily be streamlined.

So since BT isn't a special action and the points gained are gained during the figure's own activation I'd def say that you "bank" the  points and may spend them as you wish like the normal points.

Anyone agree/disagree??

Agree, Beast Tamer isn't a special action. As long as it's your activation, and not a special action you can bank the movement points.

A movement action gives you movement points to spend at any time during your activation. The movement action ends before you take the first step. It's just the process of loading up an account of movement points.

A special action that includes moving is completely different. Every step you take is part of this special action.