Sign in to follow this  
Alex Cube

Character Influence question: which part is actually characters?

Those terms are pretty vague, so which part of the Influence characteristic is actually characters and not Inquisitorial?

Starting Inf?

Inf from Peer talents?

Gained through play Inf?

Basically how much Inf will character have if cut from Inquisitorial resources?

My 2 cents are that in my opinion it should be starting+peers, but as it turns out there are A LOT of different opinions on that matter that I would gladly hear.

Edited by Alex Cube

I am not sure what exactly you are asking, but I'll try to answer what I think you mean.

Player Characters will always use their own Influence stat line acquisition things. There is a talent called contact network which allows you to replace that with fellowship rolls. Modifiers will always make things harder or easier on the final test based on GM discretion. 

It should be noted that players can invoke their Inquisitors name and use the Inquisitors Influence roll. Which should at least be 75 or higher (unless the GM has determined some plot device as to why an Inquisitor should not have high influence). This action should not be done lightly, unless they are given the Inquisitors Rosette or have his permission to do so. Using the Inquisitors influence without permission should be a desperate ploy and the players should feel the action be suicidal. The rulebook even gives examples of how to handle players and parties who do so, often send a kill squad after them. Cut off limbs. Or abandon them, fiscally and contact wise.

Inquisitors influence can wain and gain based upon their Acolytes actions (and vice versa). But the two are not considered the same. 

If a player loses their inquisitorial connections or as mentioned above is cut from them. Its up to the GM to give a penalty of probably around 5 points or so, (I based that solely off the super crappy reference charts in the gain and loss of influence points). The bigger worry from that part would not so much be the influence loss, but if they gained an enemy trait in its stead.

As for starting+peers could you elaborate more?

Player Characters will always use their own Influence stat line acquisition things. There is a talent called contact network which allows you to replace that with fellowship rolls. Modifiers will always make things harder or easier on the final test based on GM discretion. 

It should be noted that players can invoke their Inquisitors name and use the Inquisitors Influence roll. Which should at least be 75 or higher (unless the GM has determined some plot device as to why an Inquisitor should not have high influence). This action should not be done lightly, unless they are given the Inquisitors Rosette or have his permission to do so. Using the Inquisitors influence without permission should be a desperate ploy and the players should feel the action be suicidal. The rulebook even gives examples of how to handle players and parties who do so, often send a kill squad after them. Cut off limbs. Or abandon them, fiscally and contact wise.

If a player loses their inquisitorial connections or as mentioned above is cut from them. Its up to the GM to give a penalty of probably around 5 points or so, (I based that solely off the super crappy reference charts in the gain and loss of influence points). The bigger worry from that part would not so much be the influence loss, but if they gained an enemy trait in its stead.

I am talking about Influence as personal characteristic, meaning that we don't take Contact Network talent, Commerce skill, using Inquisitotial Influence etc. into consideration.

So say if a character has 40 starting Inf, 20 Peer Talents (each one giving him +1 Inf), and 10 Inf earned through gameplay (and not using exp for that as in with peer talents) then how much of it is actually his?

By starting+peers I meant that in my opinion in the scenario described above it should be at the very least 60 INF (40 from chargen 20 from peers and probably 5 from Inf earned)

And by "cut from inquisitorial influence" I didn't actually mean situation when they're cut by Inquisition for say misbehaving, it was more like "how much influence that exact character with same amount of exp spent into same advances would have if he would of never worked for inquisition at all?"

Exactly. Your influence score is your influence score; it represents each player's wealth, personal contacts, etc, etc.

Your whole influence score is your own. If you started with 40 infamy and earned 10 during gameplay, your infamy score is 50 - plus or minus any situational changes resulting from Peer and Enemy talents.

Whilst he presumably got those peer talents for doing things done whilst working for the inquisition, theoretically he could have got them without working for the inquisition and they'd have been just as valid.

Equally, whilst you might have 'earned influence' working for the inquisition, a lot of it would come in the form of friends and contacts, access to 'blind' accounts, etc - theoretically a lot of it would still apply even if you left, so barring a one-off 'hit' your influence would remain unaffected.

Their influence 'as part of the inquisition' is their access to the Inqusitor's influence score of 75+.

using that score is turning up at an arbites courthouse and saying "we work for the inquisition. [flashes rosette] Give us ammo."

using your own score is turning up at a down-hive gunsmiths that you've bought ammo from for years, who probably knows you work for someone influential but equally probably would know (or dare imagine) it's the Holy Ordos or they'd never have dared offer you illegally made hotshot cells in the first place....

OK, got that figured out thanks to Your responses.

Another question then -- how do You evaluate which level of influence measures whom?

Meaning in DH1 Ascension and RT and BC they always made a reference scale, say 20 for hive gang, 90 for veteran inquisitor, 150 for Lord Sector, what are those approximation in Your games?