Sign in to follow this  
KenBenobi

Traps in a lost Sith temple

So I had general foreshadowing of bad things to come...

Force-Senstive PCs must make an Average (2x Purple) Resilience check here or have their Strain Threshold reduced by 1 because of unnatural cold.

The inner temple and the corridors leading off from it are full of deadly traps. Some have already been sprung by unsuspecting Imperials or civilian workers. Some are yet to be discovered. Any non-force related traps I used the following rules (cribbed from the Hutt tomb in Lords of Nal Hutta):

• Detecting traps: PCs should make Average (2x Purple) Perception checks to detect pressure plates, trip wires, concealed pits, infrared beams etc.

• Bypassing traps: Hard (3x Purple) Athletics check to navigate around a trap without activating it. Threat increases difficulty for next person attempting to bypass (add a black die). Advantage makes it easier for the next person (add a Blue Die)

• Disarming traps: A Hard (3x Purple) Mechanic check allows a PC to disarm a trap permanently.

Later they arrive at a chamber with a large obelisk in the centre. The obelisk is strong with the dark side of the force. It has 10 Hits, and Soak of 4. If anyone enters this chamber, they must immediately make an opposed Discipline check (3x green dice) or face one of the following:

• Lighting arcs out of the obelisk towards the PC. A 2x Green dice Short range attack. If the lightning hits, it deals 10 damage. Armour and Soak work as normal.

• The PC succumbs to a Force-hallucination. Perhaps they are on fire, or perhaps zombie jedi burst from the floor to attack, or maybe their friends all turn into monsters? It lasts for 5x rounds - +1 for each Threat, -1 for each Advantage they rolled during their Discipline check. The hallucination inflicts 5 Strain. In addition a Daunting (4) Fear check must be made. Failure adds a black die to checks in the temple. Despair increases difficulty of all skill checks by 1 (and Conflict), Threat = -1 strain per result.

Droids are unaffected by the obelisk.

I also had spiked pits, poison dart traps using rules for Dendriton Toxin (p109 Lords of Nal Hutta), and Dioxis gas traps (also in Lords of Nal Hutta).

There was also a flooded section - shoulder deep - with Sebiri Water Snakes (Minion)

These dark green creatures grow as long as 2m, and have the ability to discharge electric shocks. They are capable of varying the intensity of the electric discharge, using lower discharges for hunting and higher intensities for stunning prey or defending themselves.

Brawn 3 / Agility 2 / Intellect 1 / Cunning 2 / Willpower 1 / Presence 1

Soak 4 / Wounds 6 / Defence 1:0

Skills (Pack only): Brawl, Ranged (Light), Stealth.

Abilities:

Breath underwater

Attacks:

Stun Shock (Range Short; Damage 5 vs Strain; Stun)

Kill Shock (Range Short; Damage 5; Pierce 1; Crit 4)

The final chamber had guardian droids, and a final Raiders style 'tomb collapse' trap, inspired by both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Lords of Nal Hutta. The floor of the crypt begins to crack and crumble, spilling the sarcophagus and the treasure into a deep chasm. The PCs have mere seconds to take whatever they can and flee, either back the way they came, or down the new secret tunnel.

If the PCs take nothing more than what they came in with, they can make a Easy Athletics check to escape the collapsing temple - failure only causing -2 strain from the effort, and -1WT from dust and falling rubble.

For every named item, or for each 1,000 credits worth of treasure a PC wishes to take, the difficulty of the Athletics check upgrades by one. Failure on this check means the PC is struck by falling debris and suffers 10 damage. A Despair result means the PC takes damage AND a suffers a Critical Injury. In addition, each Threat causes the loss of one item.

Edited by KenBenobi

So while running the Ruins of Acablas this weekend, some of the PC's decided to go into the Sith Pyramid and I was totally unprepared for that! I immediately remembered this thread and pulled it up on my tablet and did a quick read-through of the above post then threw a modified version of the lightning obelisk at them as well as a poisoned spike pitfall trap. It turned the adventure on it's head a bit as one of the PC's fell in, became poisoned, and go knocked out from the fall damage!

I think they may go back at some point, and hopefully by then I will have fleshed out some more details of my own regarding traps...but this was extremely helpful to get me started and to essentially scare them back to the primary plot.

Edited by Ender07

So while running the Ruins of Acablas this weekend, some of the PC's decided to go into the Sith Pyramid and I was totally unprepared for that! I immediately remembered this thread and pulled it up on my tablet and did a quick read-through of the above post then threw a modified version of the lightning obelisk at them as well as a poisoned spike pitfall trap. It turned the adventure on it's head a bit as one of the PC's fell in, became poisoned, and go knocked out from the fall damage!

I think they may go back at some point, and hopefully by then I will have fleshed out some more details of my own regarding traps...but this was extremely helpful to get me started and to essentially scare them back to the primary plot.

"As you leave the pyramid, carrying the wreckage of your poisoned, unconscious companion, you see a sign on the way out that was not visible as you entered.  It says 'You have been warned.  The next trap will be fatal.  Go home'."

I'm currently writing a sith temple adventure for my PCs, and have been mining this thread for ideas. I have one that involves Orbalisks, parasites powered by the dark side that firmly attach themselves to individuals and which can form a symbiotic relationship with those strong in the dark side, mating and creating powerful bio-armor over them if the character is psychotic enough to think to try it. If anyone has the book, lots of info is on page 117 of the Dark Side Sourcebook from the old d6 games. Here's what I'm thinking as an EotE conversion, where I would trap the players in a room where a few of these guys start dropping from the ceiling:

ORBALISK – MINION

Br: 1 Ag: 3 Int: 1 Cun: 1 Will: 1 Pr: 1
Soak: 4
WT: 15
Defense: 1/0

Skills: Brawl
Abilities:
Attach: If the Orbalisk is able to successfully bite organic prey, it does no damage but automatically attaches itself to the flesh of its host and begins injecting venom into the host’s bloodstream. A host can remove an attached orbalisk with an opposed strength check or by killing it. When attached, the Orbalisk’s Brawn increases to 6 and it gains Adversary 1. Any character attempting to kill the creature that rolls despair hits themselves instead. Successfully pulling one free does 5 unmitigated wound damage to the host as part of the host goes with the creature. 
Healing Properties: Orbalisks heal prey they are attached to in the area of their bite. Anyone trying to carefully cut their own flesh off to dislodge the creature very likely cannot manage this faster than the creature can heal them. It would require a degree of sudden force that would certainly do just as much damage as yanking the creature off.
Poison: Orbalisks inject their venom upon attaching, and pump another dose once per day. Victims must make an Average  Resilience Check or be disoriented for three rounds and suffer 3 strain from the wracking pain. Dark side force users gain boost on this roll. 
Attacks:
Bite (Range Engaged; Damage 0; spend  to firmly attach and add setback to attempts to remove the Orbalisk through strength)

If I come up with anything else that isn't already here, I'll post more.

Edited by Ian2400

Go with a Scooby-Doo: Even the ancient Sith had advanced technology, so it doesn't have to look like an Indiana Jones adventure site unless that's what you want. Holograms, tractor/repulsors, and other high-tech automated effects blended into the background can make primitives feel that the site is haunted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79352734/Welcome%20To%20The%20Dark%20Side.png

This was written pretty stream-of-consciousness, so it might have some errors/omissions that I'll work on. It's also very specific to my PCs, particularly a few heavy plot rewards. However, I figured I'd post it since everything else is a combination of things in this thread (thanks everyone! I think I really ended up using most everything) or in Dead Road that I've formalized/customized a bit, plus a few of my own additions (thanks to the person who suggested Grimtooth's, that diabolical stuff inspired a few traps). This tomb is VERY harsh, but my players are very high XP to compensate. I may go back and add some more 'fluff' rooms so that literally everything isn't trying to murder them. Then again, maybe I won't :).

Highlights to look for inside that aren't mentioned elsewhere in this thread:

Orbalisks (see my above post)

Sith Wyrm

Sith Zombies

Both the Orbalisks and the Wyrm are my own adaptations of the same creatures from the d20 system, which is obviously a very fuzzy transition so feel free to tweak them if they don't feel right. Some of my rewards are also specific to Sith Alchemy, which is a custom skill I made for my PCs. There's another thread on these forums with that info if anyone likes the idea of that as a reward, or to generate ideas on what kinds of alchemical monstrosities to throw at the characters (the Zombies, for instance, are mostly just humans with a bunch of those changes applied).

I'll report back once I've run this with results/edits!