Sign in to follow this  
KenBenobi

Traps in a lost Sith temple

Hi,

I am writing an EotE adventure that is a treasure hunt that winds up at an ancient Sith temple on a backwater world. I have posted elsewhere about treasures in Star Wars, and have had some really good advice that I appreciate greatly.

What sort of traps would a Sith temple have? I am going to include 'classic' physical traps (poison darts, hidden pits full of spikes, creatures etc) but would there potentially be 'Dark Side' related traps? If so, how would these work? The main things I can think of are:

A chamber causes PCs to hallucinate demonic guardians - an opposed Discipline check is needed to see through it.

The treasure chamber is cursed somehow. Influence whispers to each PC that their comrades plan to steal all the treasure and kill them.

Would these sort of things work?

I would recommend that the traps require a certain Force Rating to bypass and build them as imbued items with Harm Force Power. That will give you plenty of effects necessary for the Force Power. Also, don't forget that the Sith love their alchemical creations like beastly abominations.

I would recommend that the traps require a certain Force Rating to bypass and build them as imbued items with Harm Force Power. That will give you plenty of effects necessary for the Force Power. Also, don't forget that the Sith love their alchemical creations like beastly abominations.

Are imbued items and the Harm Force Power in Force and Destiny? I can't find them in Edge of the Empire.  :unsure:

Heya, great idea OP. I wanted to do something like this later down the line, too. Perhaps you can put the finished version on here under the fan made modules when it's done? I would love to see what you did. Or you could send it to me privately if you didn't want to go public with it. Would enjoy playtesting it.

Heya, great idea OP. I wanted to do something like this later down the line, too. Perhaps you can put the finished version on here under the fan made modules when it's done? I would love to see what you did. Or you could send it to me privately if you didn't want to go public with it. Would enjoy playtesting it.

More than happy to post it somewhere - I'm running it at a convention in Spring so will have to be after that though, to avoid spoilers for potential players!  :)

One of the traps I made (my players were stealing from a Black Sun Vigo who was obsessed with the "occult"), was a room that only let one person in at a time. The room was filled with blind abominations but they could sense fear. The room read the PCs mind, found their greatest fear and then bombarded their senses with it. The longer the player was in the room, the harder the fear check. Each player had to successfully disarm the fear generator (a simple button-press, but it is attached to one of the abominations) before they were let out.

Here's the adventure blurb. My group are playing it starting this week...

The galaxy is in turmoil.

In the wake of the Battle of Yavin, the Empire struggles to maintain its grip on power in the midst of bloody civil war.

On the edge of the Empire, bands of scoundrels and smugglers, bounty hunters and bandits, explorers and exiles all scramble to make a living. You are one such group - the crew of the freelance freighter Good Omens.

An “Imperial entanglement” has left you trying to keep a low profile on Ord Mantell while you make repairs to your ship. A chance encounter with an old friend in need of help quickly escalates out of control, leading you on a treasure hunt that brings you into confrontation with a local crime lord, rebel sympathisers and imperial forces. The question is - who will secure the ultimate prize: the fabled Elemental Goddess?

Hi - where is the 'fan made modules' section?

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

Scroll down to "Adventures"

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

Scroll down to "Adventures"

Wow - didn't know this list of resources existed, thanks so much for pointing me towards it! :-)

I'll post a link to my adventure on there

While I was looking for an old threat I started ages ago, I found this re-write of Lost Knowledge, with a boatload of terrible, sinister things to throw at the players in a Sith temple.

Here's the core of the post:

INSIDE THE TOMB -

The opening trap -

Start off with a bog standard corridor covered in tiles that set off poison darts when you step on them. The non-tile parts of the floor are safe - well, until half-way across. That's when the tiles become safe and the non-tiles turn into a thin layer of plaster over a 40 foot fall.

Faceless horror -

They're walking carefully down the corridor when something brushes up against their face, much like how you walk through a spider web - except that it's cold and clammy. Turning their full attention to it - it's a face. The Sith (or one of his disciples) peeled off a person's face, cut it into several large pieces, and then hung it from meathooks. Oh - and it’s still alive. Thousands of years old, life extended by the blackest of Sith alchemy, the eyes of the damned pleading at the characters.

Watch Your Step -

While rushing up a flight of stairs, roll perception against <><>and a red. A character who misses it (or gets a bad roll) sets foot upon a false section of stair. The step gives way, allowing their foot to pass through, becoming ensnared in the barbs below. While the foot will probably pass into the step without suffering excessive damage (a couple of strain). . . . pulling it out is another story all together.

With some time, they'd be able to extract their foot no problem. Mind you, they're being chased by head crabs at the time. . . .

Gruesome Babysitter

A first person prospective vision - large, rough hands fastening the clamps that are holding their young little heads . . . . so tight. Putting his lips to their ear, as he whispers "Please. . .  don't fight. I promise I'll let you go home, if you swear not to tell a soul!" He reaches down to the wrist clamps "Well, I'll just untie these - oh, I'm kidding! Now where is my Lightsaber?"

Fade to black.

The False Pit Trap

The players come across a pit that's an easy jump - a mere six feet across and as wide as the corridor itself. They can walk to the edge, look down and see the bottom of the pit some 30 feet down, full of sharp spikes, making the pit something to be avoided - but who can't make a 6 foot jump?

The stinger comes in that the other side of the pit was false, a ledge built up of flimsy wood and plaster. It's strong enough for coins and rocks to land on, but weak enough to collapse under the full weight of someone landing on it. Below the false lip is a 45 degree angle slop, leading back to the pit, studded with hooks. After a brief slide, they are dumped 18 feet to the bottom of the pit. Ouch.

You definitely need to make use of Force Illusions and dark side manifestations, fear checks, conflict and morality. Make it the whole them of the story :)

I did a one session thing in an old Sith Temple once using one of the pre-made adventures and it went down a treat with my players. It only ran for a session and the characters are way more powerful now than they were back then but I'm itching to do another :) 

Hey KenBenobi, did you ever run this? What did you end up using for traps? Are you going to post it somewhere?

Hi - yes - sorry I've not posted in a while, having building work done to the house and all is chaos at home! 

i ran this adventure, and it went very well. I can try to list the traps here, or do a full adventure report write up type thing - what is the protocol on these forums for this?

Late to the game, but I made a Silooth for my characters to fight recently. It's a giant alchemy-enhanced beetle:

SILOOTH

Br: 6 Ag: 2 Int: 1 Cun: 3 Will: 3 Pr: 1
Soak: 12
WT: 40
ST: 15
Defense: 0/0
Skills: Brawl 2, Perception 2, Survival 3, Vigilance 2
Talents: None
Abilities: Silhouette 3, Acid Spray (Silooth can use TRIUMPH on successful acid attacks to hit all targets within short range of its target)
Equipment: 
Massive mandibles (Brawl): Damage 15, Crit 3, Range (Engaged), Knockdown, Sunder
Poison Spit (Ranged – Light): Damage 8, Crit 4, Range (Short), Burn 3, Disorient 3

The Silooth will always choose to spray acid in the first round of combat unless something is already engaged by it.

Hey KenBenobi, did you ever run this? What did you end up using for traps? Are you going to post it somewhere?

Hi - yes - sorry I've not posted in a while, having building work done to the house and all is chaos at home! 

i ran this adventure, and it went very well. I can try to list the traps here, or do a full adventure report write up type thing - what is the protocol on these forums for this?

EDIT: Just realized my original response to this glitched out! I would suggest doing just the traps for easy reference by others, and adding something more thorough later if you get time. There are good purposes for both, so it's really up to how much time you feel like putting into it :). Either way, we all benefit so we're happy.

Edited by Ian2400

Yes. ;)

Seriously, in this case I think you should do as you feel best.

If you want to do something quick for now, you could just start by listing the traps. Then a full adventure report could follow later.

But I think the choice is yours.