Sign in to follow this  
stabbald

Has FFG lost interest in Armada?

That is the only store that carries it in my city. And yes I am familiar with Meeplemart and 401 games but once you add shipping in, well you can't just pick them up one at a time. So then you have a really, really big bill.

And note: it depends who is reporting the sales. Sales to distributors (the channel), or retail sales. Plus the wave launched right before Christmas, of course sales to the stores were "good".

That is the only store that carries it in my city. And yes I am familiar with Meeplemart and 401 games but once you add shipping in, well you can't just pick them up one at a time. So then you have a really, really big bill.

And note: it depends who is reporting the sales. Sales to distributors (the channel), or retail sales. Plus the wave launched right before Christmas, of course sales to the stores were "good".

Yeah I don't get your logic there.

you can either buy an ISD for $75 (plus tax??) or buy an ISD and a Raider (still under $75) and throw in something else of your choice to eek it over $100 and its free shipping from 401 games. yeah you spend an extra $25 but you get ridiculous amounts of value for your dollar.

Also, the store owners I talk to around here tell me Armada sells pretty well (at one point just this month was described as "flying off the shelf" and "Can't keep it in stock")

Still no Armada community in my city though...introverts I guess...

Yeah, locally (go further north than Hothgary) ISD's are between $73 and $79 , I think I remember one shop where it was $69... comparatively, I pre-ordered a pair of ISD's at $33 USD.

It's expensive but people -still- have FLGS purchased MC80's and ISD's, and there's already been a winter tournament that took place last week, one in a few days, and two store championships soon enough.  Armada's still doing okay, even outside my little group. 

I once waited 5 years for a new Ork codex, and it was crap.

You young'uns don't even know you're born.....

Just Ork's? What about them Necrons and Eldar?

A five year wait for an Ork codex -smirks- c'est tres terrible, non? -chuckles and holds up the Fleur de lis-. Waiting since 2003. Comparatively, the FFG interregnums aren't that bad.

Edited by Vykes

I must be spoiled because I can't even imagine a store marking up prices that much  when the online community will eat their profits alive. 

That is like GW ( i know bad word) increasing prices to make up for bad sales, and it begins this horrible cycle. . . it makes no sense to me. . . 

Why must you all keep tempting me to talk about this!?

Bunch of jerks, I say.

All joking aside, one thing I would say FFG has absolutely hit the nail on the head with, for both Armada and X-Wing, is the format of their releases. Pocket money easily covers something like a Raider, squadrons, CR90, Neb B, etc. The bigger stuff you have to save up for a bit, but what it means is:

1. Younger players could totally assemble fully playable fleets from pocket money over time once they have the core box.
  2. Impulse buys are possible.
  3. The actual cost of entry is pretty low beyond the box - people can (and often will) elect to buy much more than they need to play (...as my shelves might evidence), but it's not required.

So even with a release schedule that is quiet for now, I think FFG has done a lot more right than wrong with Armada so far (and X-Wing).

The amount of impatience some of you have is astounding.  If you think this drought is bad, you must have missed the old Games Workshop release windows.  I literally waited 14 years for one of my armies to be updated.

My case is overflowing. . . I still need a third ISD and 2 more MC80's. . .

I just got my third ISD but I can't think of a viable rebel list with 3 MC80s so I might stick to 2 of those (unless I get soooper bored and pick up a third just to paint it and for 1500 point games)

It is also worth looking at the upcoming page for information. Gladiator and Assault Frigate are being reprinted. Now, last time I looked the ISD and MC80 were on that list too, so there is movement here and there.

Perhaps it would be nice to gain an understanding as to how the ships get designed and manufactured as to give an idea as to what would be involved in getting wave 3 into our hands.

The amount of impatience some of you have is astounding.  If you think this drought is bad, you must have missed the old Games Workshop release windows.  I literally waited 14 years for one of my armies to be updated.

Witch Hunters?

Anyway, I think there is also a case to be made that the Armada models are quite exquisite. Some people will purely be collectors. I am almost in that bracket myself, however I would expect this sort of custom to taper off during later waves as the products become less recognisable from the OT material.

Witch Hunters?

Anyway, I think there is also a case to be made that the Armada models are quite exquisite. Some people will purely be collectors. I am almost in that bracket myself, however I would expect this sort of custom to taper off during later waves as the products become less recognisable from the OT material.

Dark Eldar, but close :(

Those were dark times indeed.

I'm still very entertained by wave two but the longer we go without an announcement, the longer the 6 to 9 months between announcement and release will feel. I'm quite content with what we have right now but I still expect and hope to have a minimum of two waves this year. Preferably three or 4. If there isn't an announcement soon, then we can forget about a spring or early summer wave, unless they wait to make their announcement which if you follow "trends" like a certain fool, you have to assume we will have a very long wait between now and wave 3.

Not sure if anyone noticed. When MM restocks armada, the numbers are quite similar to x-wing.  Last restock of gladiator was 500+ and 300+ for the fighter packs.  Game seems to be selling very well.  So it'd be rather odd if FFG abandons one of its best sellers.