Sign in to follow this  
Kelvan

Scum and Villainy 25: Juke Box Heroes

Kelvan Tiberius, Antigrapist, Sable Gryphon, Sozin and Theorist cover the latest X-Wing news and discuss the new card Juke.

Direct Download Link

TC Aces Finals

Paul’s cast
S&V live cast

Back to Dials Patreon

Cryodex

If you have feedback or list suggestions, please send them to scumandvillainypodcast at gmail.com

If you enjoy the show, please consider supporting us on Patreon.

We have to thank our many patrons and in particular our Executive Producers:

Mr. Bubbles
Matthew Elisha Williams
Grayfax
Guido Kessels
Matt Siebert
Michael Buccheri
Steve Harvey
Gregory Nussbaum
wereplatypus
Baron Tito

This podcast includes parts of the song “March” by Dirt Monkey, available under aCreative Commons Attribution 3.0 license.

Edited by Kelvan

There was some good discussion between TvBoy and Theorist at Team Covenant that I'd like to share here.

TV Boy:

"Great episode, pretty much reached the same conclusions about the card on my blog. Only problem was with Palob, you guys really liked him with Juke but don’t mention how you’re going to reliably put an evade token on him turn it on. Also something touched on but not completely explained was what happens when you spend extra points to get that free evade token on something without comm relay and then never spend it before it dissolves. If you’re using PTL on an A-Wing to turn on Juke each turn but are forced to either spend the evade token or never spend it, you are spending 5 points but only getting 2-3 points of utility. You only get the full 5 points worth if you use Juke and then get to stop a damage with the evade token afterwards, which is not very likely to happen to each ship each turn.

A minor detail but important when assessing the efficiency of these Juke ships."

Theorist

"To the last point, I agree and did touch on that point a little; just not in detail. The x4 Greens list with PTL+Juke is a good example to discuss value. It has 4 copies of Juke, and that low PS 3 means you must coordinate your Juke copies to get maximum use of out of them. You are looking at an 8pt buy in that squad, since nothing else you buy is just to make use of Juke. (like a Jan or Comm Relay buy would be).

The enemy target will have to spend its Evade. Juke there is useless, on that target.
2-3 of your other ships will also have Evades, but aren’t being attacked.
Your target may not spend its Focus offensively, although it probably did.
So you get 2-3 extra damage a turn, when you can coordinate fire, for 8pts.
As you lose ships you lose efficiency. Your last Juke in play is extremely weak.

It’s not a great deal, nor a terrible one. As offensive cards go that’s nothing special. But what it DOES do is solve a capability weakness of the A-wing — they normally struggle badly to put damage on hard targets, or burn down a target quickly even when you coordinate fire. So while Juke is nothing great for A-wings in efficiency terms, it can help them not take bad fights better than options like Predator can. I’m not sure that I personally like Juke. Even on the Sabine build I suggested, I actually think I prefer Lone Wolf by more than a little.

72 (x3) Green w/ Refit, PTL, Juke, Autothrusters
28 Gold w/ R3A2, TLT, Bomb Loadout, Ion Bomb, BTL-A4

This looks like an option as well. PTL ships need time to turn around, as does the Stresshog. Ion Bomb is a threat that delays the enemy’s k-turns and similar moves, and multi-stressing targets goes very well with Juke. I haven’t played this or seen it played, but it looks at least reasonably sound to me as a squad.

As for Palob with Juke, Sable was just a bit overzealous and got us excited over an idea we cannot use yet. There isn’t an S&V crew card to give the HWK Evade access, or any good way to pass Palob the Evade token. There is definite synergy between Palob’s ability and Juke though. We are just waiting on the right upgrade card to appear.

Juke looks good for Howlrunner. You want to Evade with her to defend, and she shoots early. That lets you use Juke with her easily and then try to stay alive. You can also run Juke instead of Crack Shot if you want on her support, to punish targets for using a Focus in the attempt to bring Howlrunner down. I’m not sure if the Juke swarm will catch on, but it doesn’t look bad to me."

Edited by Kelvan

Don't forget the B-wing can carry a crew member. A Blue with Jan is only 25 points. That leaves you a lot of room. I was thinking about:

Dagger Squadron Pilot (24)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Jan Ors (2)
B-Wing/E2 (1)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Red Squadron Veteran (26)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Easy enough to load the Red Squadrons with Evades. Unfortunately, you really can't spend the token, especially with the early hate likely to go against the B-wing. I would only spend the evades, if it meant keeping the ship alive for another turn.

Edited by Jo Jo

What about Juke/Gunner? Still expensive, but you can virtually guarantee a shot where the opponent doesn't have a focus token. It would work even when the opponent wants to use focus defensively.

A nice combination, but there aren't to many ships which..... oh, hell, there are, arent there?

Admiral Chiraneau with Juke and Isard is pretty high pilot skill, so will probably get to shoot before dumping the evade, and he's a big enough target that you can be fairly confident youll be shot at (as opposed to being one ship in a swarm).

Firesprays have native evade, too, so Fett might use it well - especially since he could get action-free focus off Glitterstim and action-free target locks off a K4 security droid.

Phantoms or cloaked scum with stygium accelerators could use it too, I guess. Theyre rather more of a oneshot deal, though.

I think it's very good on multiples of lower PS ships, such as A-wing Greens. If they attack after their victim, the victim has to decide if it's worth using their focus on the attack. Even so, you have multiples to "strip" off the focus and increase firepower for their buddies.

Also, how about:

Juke + Stygium + Sensor Jammer + [Crew of Choice] on Echo

A very different but interesting Phantom

Forget I said anything forgot its small ship only

It does pair well with the sensor jammer, so I think it may find a niche on the phantom.

The other big problem with juke is that there are targets its pretty useless against - and one of them is Poe Dameron.

The other is Glitterstim, which is also pretty common

Edited by Magnus Grendel

What about Juke/Gunner? Still expensive, but you can virtually guarantee a shot where the opponent doesn't have a focus token. It would work even when the opponent wants to use focus defensively.

A nice combination, but there aren't to many ships which..... oh, hell, there are, arent there?

Admiral Chiraneau with Juke and Isard is pretty high pilot skill, so will probably get to shoot before dumping the evade, and he's a big enough target that you can be fairly confident youll be shot at (as opposed to being one ship in a swarm).

Firesprays have native evade, too, so Fett might use it well - especially since he could get action-free focus off Glitterstim and action-free target locks off a K4 security droid.

Phantoms or cloaked scum with stygium accelerators could use it too, I guess. Theyre rather more of a oneshot deal, though.

Juke is small base only.

Nice idea, small ship only makes it B wing, Hawk, Attack Shuttle, Bomber, Phantom, Mist Hunter, (am I missing one?)

Don't forget the B-wing can carry a crew member. A Blue with Jan is only 25 points. That leaves you a lot of room.

This is my go to for cheap evades for ships that don't have the action.

Edited by Kelvan