killakan

Lets Build Vader! :)

I'm stumped folks, my PCs are charging straight into a confrontation with the Dark Lord of the Sith and I got no idea as to begin building him. So, I came up with the idea to build Vader with you folks on FFG. Fire your ideas away, folks!  :D

I've been interested in statting Vader out as well, but I'd us him as a deterrent and make sure that my players know his stats. Just the intercepted transmission that vader was on his way (to get a rebel system back under heel) was enough to send my PC's scurrying though. 

What are your plans for him? And when is your campaign set? Are you hoping to set him up as a Nemesis your players can eventually beat or are you looking to punish some unruly players? How much XP do your players have? A few more details and we can crank him out.

I'd start with building Anakin as a Jedi, and then adding cybernetics (and xp) to make him more Vader-ish. I'd say Anakin's strongest stats would be Agility and Willpower - Vader probably has higher Brawn after adding cybernetic arms.

EDIT: Thank you Jedi Ronin for pointing us at some other builds.  I've made a couple of changes based on them.

MORE EDITS: Reading the Darth Vader comic (really, really good) has forced a few changes - he can be subtle when he wants to.

I know you don't build NPCs this way by my best guess for what his career progression would be, if he were a PC is:

Young Anakin - Starfighter Ace  (the Pod Racer of Phantom Menace)

Jedi Padawan - Shien Expert  (the young "Form 5" practitioner of Send in the Clones)

Knight Anakin - Aggressor  (the vengeance-indulging executioner we see at the start of Revenge of the Sith)

Darth Vader - Shii-Cho Knight  (after RotS he had to change his fighting style because the life support armour hampers his speed - instead he focused on power, which sounds like Shii-Cho as that's the one based on Brawn)

Using that as a guideline, I'd guess at something like this:

DARTH VADER, LORD OF THE SITH

Agility 3 (would have been about 5 before the Mustafa)
Brawn 6 (Cybernetic)
Cunning 4
Intelligence 3
Presence 3
Willpower 5

Wound Threshold 33

Strain Threshold 33

Force Rating 6  (Dark Side Paragon)

Adversary 5  (Nemesis)

Gunnery 4 YYYG
Piloting (Space) 5 YYYGG
Piloting (Planetary) 4 YYYG

Ranged (Light) 3 YYY

Athletics 3 YYYGGG

Brawl 3 YYYGGG
Lightsaber (Brawn) 5 YYYYYG

Resilience 5 YYYYYG

Deception 3 YYYG

Perception 2 YYGG

Survival 2 YYGG

Astrogation 3 YYY

Computers 2 YYG
Know (Underworld) 3 YYY
Know (Lore) 4 YYYG

Know (Warfare) 3 YYY
Mechanics 4 YYYG

Coercion 4 YYYYG

Discipline 5 YYYYY

Vigilance 2 YYGGG

Against All Odds
Center of Being
Confidence x3
Defensive Training
Djem So Deflection
Durable x3
Exhaust Port
Falling Avalanche
Fearsome x3
Full Throttle
Heroic Fortitude
Improved Reflect
Intuitive Evasion
Intuitive Strike
Multiple Opponents
Natural Blademaster
Parry x6
Prey on the Weak x3
Reflect x4
Resist Disarm
Saber Throw
Sarlacc Sweep
Sense Advantage
Skilled Jockey x3
Sum Djem
Terrify
Touch of Fate
Tricky Target

Bind (is papa gonna have to Force choke a billy-goat?)
Enhance ("jumps" onto a speeder from ridiculous height)
Foresee (prophetic dreams... although maybe not, maybe Palpatine was actually using Misdirect or Influence on him while he slept!)
Move (in the comics he has enough Strength upgrades to shift an AT-AT)

Protect/Unleash (stopping Han's blaster shot in Cloud City with his hand)
Sense (can sense bugs in Padme's room and read Luke's mind)  [i wouldn't bother with the defensive side as he has Adversary ranks]

Fully modified lightsaber.
Superior Battle Armour with full life support.

Seriously, if they're looking to go up against him it's impossible for you to make him too dangerous.

Edited by Col. Orange

This depends a lot on what you want Vader for. Should the PCs be able to kill him or not? If the answer is yes and you want to play something akin to the OT (with the players on the spot rather than Luke), then make stats for him. If the answer is no and you want something akin to Vader in Star Wars Rebels (more an obstacle to be feared and avoided, someone you resist in combat as long as you can before fleeing), then don't.

I like more the second approach, but to each their own.

Agility 3 (would have been higher before the Mustafa)

Brawn 6 (Cybernetic)
Cunning 3
Intelligence 3
Presence 3
Willpower 6

I may be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that canon characters may often have characteristics well beyond the PC's allowed maximum.

Just something to throw out there when choosing a lightsaber style: if I remember correctly before his fall Anakon was a practicer of Djem So, which is basically Shien. Not sure if they ever said whether he changed styles after he was put in the suit.

Just something to throw out there when choosing a lightsaber style: if I remember correctly before his fall Anakon was a practicer of Djem So, which is basically Shien. Not sure if they ever said whether he changed styles after he was put in the suit.

I read a reference somewhere that he pretty much cherry-picked from all the styles/schools to hodge-podge together everything he could still do with his mauled body and cybernetic modifications. 

I've been interested in statting Vader out as well, but I'd us him as a deterrent and make sure that my players know his stats. Just the intercepted transmission that vader was on his way (to get a rebel system back under heel) was enough to send my PC's scurrying though. 

What are your plans for him? And when is your campaign set? Are you hoping to set him up as a Nemesis your players can eventually beat or are you looking to punish some unruly players? How much XP do your players have? A few more details and we can crank him out.

The Time: Immediately after New Hope.

The Plan: Either training or personally hunting the PCs who are force sensitives.

The PCs: Human Seeker: Ataru Striker and Kel Dor Consular: Sage traveling with a Human Mystic: Adviser and a Zabrek Sentinel: Artisan, who are gay and think the Empire is fine and dandy with some corrupt officials that need removing. The Mystic had his mother saved by Vader and carries a piece of his cloak that he lost in the rubble. They have gained 70 XP each and the Ataru Striker (Double Bladed Barab Ignot) and the Sage (Shoto Illum) both have Lightsabers. they are headed to free Kashyyyk from an "imposter" posting as Vader.

Edited by killakan

My favorite, and so far the only official "stats" that we have from FFG are in the Rescue at Glare Peak (Rebellion Day) adventure. I'll place those here.

"The Dark Lord's Wrath: Vader spends two move maneuvers each round until he catches up with the PCs. If Vader catches up with the group and ends his turn within one maneuver of the PCs, they fail their mission. The PCs are hopelessly outmatched by the Dark Lord of the Sith. Should they be foolish enough to attack him, describe the ensuing slaughter narratively."

Now, I admit to allowing my PCs to face off against Anakin during the Purge while escaping the Temple. This required some stats and I just went with Impossible and added Adversary 3. Surprisingly, the PCs STILL managed to hold him for a moment. Remember, any time you allow stats, PCs can kill it. Keep a Dark Side Destiny point to flip to show them getting away!

Edited by Gigerstreak

I'm not sure Anakin/Vader was that Intelligent, I would have thought his cunning was much higher.

Yeah, I was probably being too stingy with the Cunning (didn't display much in the films but certainly the comics) - I'll fix.

I put his Int at 4 because building a droid at age 8 or whatever made it sound like he was some kind of prodigy.  But that could just be a ridiculously high Mechanics skill for someone his age.  Again, I think you're right and will change.

Making a dark lord is the easiest thing ever. Just give him all the FS trees and specs and you're set. Also, what Split said. Fighting Vader is like fighting entropy.

The dark-lord is a triple-amputee asthmatic who needs a life support system to survive. He was put down by a wet-behind the ears Jedi who could have finished him and chose not to, and a geriatric lunatic flailing lightning bolts. His "invincibility," and that of the Emperor, has been mythologized by pious fans who revere him with a nigh religious fervor. His propaganda far outstrips his truth. A trained Jedi should be able to give him a mano-a-mano run for his money.  

Making a dark lord is the easiest thing ever. Just give him all the FS trees and specs and you're set. Also, what Split said. Fighting Vader is like fighting entropy.

The dark-lord is a triple-amputee asthmatic who needs a life support system to survive. He was put down by a wet-behind the ears Jedi who could have finished him and chose not to, and a geriatric lunatic flailing lightning bolts. His "invincibility," and that of the Emperor, has been mythologized by pious fans who revere him with a nigh religious fervor. His propaganda far outstrips his truth. A trained Jedi should be able to give him a mano-a-mano run for his money.  

Agreed in large part.

Instead of this fannish / comic book "force of nature" thing that some bring to Vader... I'd suggest that if one wanted to make him scarier, one would be better served to do it along the lines of what we see in Rebels, when it's his still-immense capability with the force, and a fighting style built around his powerful but limited body, and implacable driven nature, that make him dangerous, but not a god. 

When he's flinging objects at Luke on Bespin, notice that unlike the concentration and effort that some Force-users seem to need, he's almost casually ripping stuff off the wall and hurling it across the room... he stops a collapsed walker from crushing him and then gets up like he's just not impressed... he casually deflects blaster bolts. 

The Vader that we actually see on screen is dangerous... there's no need for the way some people make him into a elder force abomination.

But there isnt a way to make a trained jedi in this game. Its one of my favorite parts. Even luke at the end of RotJ isnt an Old Republic Jedi Knight. Vader has a ridiculous amount of experience points, and should represent something of a super character.   

On 2/5/2016 at 11:44 PM, Vondy said:

On 2/6/2016 at 1:14 AM, MaxKilljoy said:

Agreed in large part.

Instead of this fannish / comic book "force of nature" thing that some bring to Vader... I'd suggest that if one wanted to make him scarier, one would be better served to do it along the lines of what we see in Rebels, when it's his still-immense capability with the force, and a fighting style built around his powerful but limited body, and implacable driven nature, that make him dangerous, but not a god. 

When he's flinging objects at Luke on Bespin, notice that unlike the concentration and effort that some Force-users seem to need, he's almost casually ripping stuff off the wall and hurling it across the room... he stops a collapsed walker from crushing him and then gets up like he's just not impressed... he casually deflects blaster bolts. 

The Vader that we actually see on screen is dangerous... there's no need for the way some people make him into a elder force abomination.

Wasn't it after this discussion that we saw Vader fight Ahsoka, and she pretty much fought him to a standstill? 

Here is my take on Darth Vader:

Boy Anakin: Racer (from Endless Vigil), Outlaw Tech as he built his podracers and C-3PO, Sense power + defensive upgrade

Teen Anakin: Add Starfighter Ace, Ataru Striker, Shien Expert, Enhance, Move, Influence powers

Clone Wars Anakin: Add Peacekeeper as Anakin did a lot of leading Clone Troopers in battle. 

Darth Vader: Add Agressor, Bind, Foresee, Protect/Unleash powers

Action economy is the bane of all solo BBEGs, and will be for your Darth Vader if you don't do something to bring him up to the PCs level.

Make up a Talent or Force Power (that of course no PC can ever have) that allows him to have multiple Initiative Slots (roll and then step down each slot by 1 success until they're gone?) for his own use.

Otherwise you're setting up yourself and your players for a HUGE let down when supposedly the most dangerous living being in the universe is embarrassed and ran circles around by comparative nobodies.

Good luck with this patently bad idea.