Sign in to follow this  
Mikael Hasselstein

How is your community holding up?

The game is growing at the store I frequent because I do as BiggsIRL does and suggest it to people. That and I have them play a demo game. I also explain as I play and talk about the differences between X-Wing and Armada

In my non-scientific sample of 2 people I've found that 40k players catch on pretty quickly. Both of them had no trouble grasping the complex rules, and unlike X-wing veterans they thought Armada wasn't expensive or too time consuming.

We actually have a few of Battlefleet Gothic former players.

It helps that the store we play at is kind of a 40K store.

I think since the community is small overall, getting more Armada players will be just as tough as getting new X Wing players. It's just saturated here at the moment.

My best hope is to try and draw those already in to come out and play. Past that, bringing in fresh blood is just a matter of time and word of mouth.

The game is growing at the store I frequent because I do as BiggsIRL does and suggest it to people. That and I have them play a demo game. I also explain as I play and talk about the differences between X-Wing and Armada

This right here.

I have been slowly converting X-Wing players as well with this method. They show some interests and I start explaining how Armada has less randomness compared to X-Wing. Has a far deeper game and while somewhat linear in play with the he maneuver tool but at the same time the game is far more brutal.

I have a video I should be posting in the next few days between Mikael Hasselstein and myself when I made a mistake and figured he would of beaten me because of that but he got an bit unlucky and split his focus which made up for my mistake

Who sells the game because the local scene isnt flourishing? Didnt they enjoy it at all?

No matter what happens with the game, Ill be the proud owner of it way past its death and more then happy to crack it out and treat a friend to a whole-nighter with whiskey!

Since im not into competition and tournaments its basically "just another game" among the countless unplayed but beautifully boxes on my shelves :)

Granted, a game that has cost a fair sum to ready two players but still way cheaper then the average gamer spends on a computer upgrade.

Local game store doesn't care. Owner and his buds play Armada, but they don't show to buff the numbers in tournaments. Doesn't even put any effort into the alleged weekly Armada days. Any interested players have pretty much stopped caring. Shame, really. A lot of the people I've talked to have been super interested. 

Local game store doesn't care. Owner and his buds play Armada, but they don't show to buff the numbers in tournaments. Doesn't even put any effort into the alleged weekly Armada days. Any interested players have pretty much stopped caring. Shame, really. A lot of the people I've talked to have been super interested.

Thus it is no longer an FLGS and instead is just an LGS

Eh mine is sorta odd:

I live in Hampton roads, I live on the north side of the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge and Tunnel) and it seems nigh to pull anyone into Armada, I've tried to fire up a group but the crowd seems to be 99% x-wing, but I've introduced the game to a friend so we've got regular game nights after work, and when we learn the rules better may try and run a few demo game days at the local LGS up the street.

South of the bridge, Armada seems to really be concentrated in Portsmouth, Norfolk doesn't have a regular night from what I gather, just guys posting on facebook for pickup games...but that doesn't work out very well. Sure the South has comps at a local game store but the issue I have is learning the game in the first place. I think the crowd is just over-saturated with X-wing and the cost of Armada has put several off, then again how many people are going around introducing the game? 

Edited by Gottmituns205

This right here.

I have been slowly converting X-Wing players as well with this method. They show some interests and I start explaining how Armada has less randomness compared to X-Wing. Has a far deeper game and while somewhat linear in play with the he maneuver tool but at the same time the game is far more brutal.

I have a video I should be posting in the next few days between Mikael Hasselstein and myself when I made a mistake and figured he would of beaten me because of that but he got an bit unlucky and split his focus which made up for my mistake

You should explain something else.

Thus it is no longer an FLGS and instead is just an LGS

Yep, I avoid it now. And I buy my games stuff from Amazon (Since there isn't a FLGS nearby). Which is a shame, usually I pay 5-10% more to buy a product from an independently owned LGS, if the owner and community are good.

San Antonio is jumpin'

We have four weekly game nights. Mondays and Fridays pull in 10+ of a rotating cast of characters.

Tournaments fill up fast. We had FOUR Massings at Sullust and we have four local Store Championships.

Competition is tough, lists are varied, and lately we've been gaining members at an alarming rate.

My group died a death due to declining dudes, then my Local gaming store closed. I really don't want to drive an hour to play, and none of my current friends play, my wife has no entrust (plus she is not a fan of strategy games) and my son is 17 months old.

In short my community is myself and the two other people in my head I play against, on the plus side set up does not take as long.

San Antonio is jumpin'

We have four weekly game nights. Mondays and Fridays pull in 10+ of a rotating cast of characters.

Tournaments fill up fast. We had FOUR Massings at Sullust and we have four local Store Championships.

Competition is tough, lists are varied, and lately we've been gaining members at an alarming rate.

I am guessing you. Have a great LGS.

It seems that most of the horror stories here are due to game stores not the game.

We also did the Spontaneous Sunday Stream of 2 Armada Games, that I only popped on the Forums here a few hours before we started...

..  At one point we had 20 Concurrent Viewers (despite the Camera being smacked by a passer-by and losing the feed for 15 minutes during the first game)

That stream also netted northern Virginia a couple more players.  I was already interested, and when you guys were nice enough to explain the game basics (thank you for that, BTW) my wife decided she wanted to try it.

We also did the Spontaneous Sunday Stream of 2 Armada Games, that I only popped on the Forums here a few hours before we started...

..  At one point we had 20 Concurrent Viewers (despite the Camera being smacked by a passer-by and losing the feed for 15 minutes during the first game)

That stream also netted northern Virginia a couple more players.  I was already interested, and when you guys were nice enough to explain the game basics (thank you for that, BTW) my wife decided she wanted to try it.

Glad to have you!

I'll be advocating trying to do it more often, but its all up to Kris - its his Production Company :)

Our next Armada League Day is the 14th, so that's either Positive or Negative for a Couple Playing :D

Nice, are videos of this still available?

Not as of yet, but will be on YouTube eventually.

We're still processing the Store Championships for X-Wing that was done the day before (over 14 hours of streaming there!)

But once they're done, the Armada should be next.

Keep an eye on:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SentryBoxGameStore

I think there's 8 Games in Total for X-Wing first, and then us  - all depends on Render/Process, and Kris is an absolute madman and is on it - its just a matter of time...

Dude did over 36 hours of Live Broadcasting over 3 days, he deserves a Beer and a Nap, too :D