Sign in to follow this  
Mikael Hasselstein

How is your community holding up?

been too hard to find a game among people i usually play with.  

There's a small group that plays at the game store circuits, but I'm not much about those.  

--

Dunno.  I guess I'm not one that likes to play much in game stores.  Although I do pretty often for Xwing.  

This game really needs an update/wave3 news.  Something to look forward to for those who aren't enjoying wave2. 

I'd love to play with just my friends.

Let's see... One works random posts night shift and has two young kids, one just moved half way across the country, and the other is just as boned at work as I am that he rarely is available.

If I want to play these games with regularity, I need the scene. Sadly, most of my Armada experience is against myself. I don't get the concept of dumping money into something just to have it collect dust.

I'm just grateful for the X Wing matches I'm getting. At least I can scratch the itch to game. Don't say Vassal... I tried and it's not my cup of tea.

Vassa...... Oh

In The Hague, Netherlands there is going to be the first armada store championship on the 20th of febuari, currently 6 spots filled out of a possible 16. excited to meet people there as it will be the first time I play someone besides my brothers. couldn't convince my brothers to attend.

meanwhile X wing for 26th of march has all 24 spots filled. however that has been around a lot longer and I have no idea how that started out.

I'd say give it time. takes time to grow.

been too hard to find a game among people i usually play with.  

There's a small group that plays at the game store circuits, but I'm not much about those.  

--

Dunno.  I guess I'm not one that likes to play much in game stores.  Although I do pretty often for Xwing.  

This game really needs an update/wave3 news.  Something to look forward to for those who aren't enjoying wave2. 

This absolutely makes no sense. 

Lets go through it. 

1) You like playing with your mates

2) You dont like going to stores to play Armada

3) You do go to stores to play X-WIng

4) You dont like wave 2 (not sure why that is but ok)

5) You think that wave 3 news will make you more interested so that you might fix #2

. . . I feel like something is missing in the equation. . . Could it be, that you are not giving people a chance in armada but since you are used to X-WIng it is fine? 

I only have 1-2 dedicated players within a 1-2 hour radius (that I know about). We have 2 stores that occasionally run events (every few months), and with the distance we don't have any sort of regular play time. The very first Armada tournamnet had 6 players I believe. Sullust was 4. Other tournaments have varied, but been anywhere from 2-5 with a general downward trend. We'll see how things go in the future.

In fairness, in my part of the U.K. Which I won't explicitly name, my FLGS isn't massively F, and they don't seem too keen on promoting or inviting people to games. I've bought products from there for years and they've never tried to promote anything to do with what I'm buying at the point of sale.

There's another smaller FLGS which is actually closer but staffed by suspiciously young guys who put on the 'GW voice' and asked me all about what I was buying and what I was up to etc.

I get the feeling most 'scenes' here start at university societies etc and I think I'm about 12 years too late for that now.

My local Armada scene is also dying. X-wing is doing Ok with 4 or so regulars, but Armada is fading out. It's usually me and maybe one other regular for Armada. There are a couple gaming stores within 30 mins to an hour's drive of me that have more bodies, but I don't have tons of cash to fill the tank so much.

Yea. It takes a ton of effort to maintain a group. I give up my Thursday and Friday nights just to Armada, my Sundays and Tuesday to Dropzone Commander and the other days are me getting things that needed to be done, done

For my local area we have a couple of stores but as far as I know only one does anything with Armada, they are the same one that used to do X-wing. X-wing has died in my area due to Armada (only one player that I talked with liked X-wing more), but having said that with the limited selection not many are buying into it. We had our store championship, with only six (including the guy running it) showing up. and only three brought stuff to play, the other three borrowed stuff to play, after the first round most of the people left, as even our rebel players say that the factions as not even close to balanced. So if you are playing to win like in a tournament almost no one was having fun. This was the last time anyone in the area played that I know of and that was almost three weeks ago. They have moved on to different games, I do keep hearing them ask if there is anything new out. Hopefully when they do the next wave we can get them back, as right now I do not think that they are playing any FFG games at all. 

My community I would saying was DOA. I am in the Binghamton, NY area about an hour away from Stasy. I have one other person who plays regularly on Tuesday nights. We had a third, who got me into the game, but it seams he has shifted into another game. I haven't decided what I'm going to be demoing at my FLGS for TableTop Day, but I am strongly considering doing a big Armada push. For me to get to a Store Championship is a 2 hour drive and probably a Regional Championship is not going to happen. I am thinking about taking over promoting and leading the Armada push, I do that for another game and not really sure if I could do it for two games.

I'm curious what methods of community-building have been tried.

Between Lyraeus and myself, we have created a Facebook group, a wiki, a web portal, and hosting regular events at our FLGSs (the latter him more than myself). That's not to say that some of you have structural impediments (no FLGSs, small communities, disinterested people, etc.), but what are the things you've tried?

Fortnightly League that is Backed up only by an Existing Facebook Group.

$5 was entry to the league, I took those league funds and got the LGS to get a Winter Tourney Kit.

I track Wins, Losses, and "Pimps", which is when someone puts a Batrep (or even a quick comment on their game) up on the FB Group.

After 4 games, I gave away one Glad-II, Two Dice Bags, and a donated Laser-Line Device, to Random Point Values.

At the end of the League, I'll award the Medal to Most Wins.  The other Glad-II to Most Points.  A Dicebag to Most Losses.  Tokens and remaining Dicebag to Random and then X-Wings to everyone...

Takes me 5 minutes every 2 weeks to administer and put up the next event...

Because of it, we're getting LiveStreamed by the Sentry Box on Sundays now...  :D

I'm trying to keep our Thursday Night game going, but last week nobody showed besides myself. I should've brought my Rebel Booby Prize fleet for anyone interested, but oh well. Ideally we're getting more folks since I've been pimping it on the SoCal FB group.

Yea. It takes a ton of effort to maintain a group. I give up my Thursday and Friday nights just to Armada, my Sundays and Tuesday to Dropzone Commander and the other days are me getting things that needed to be done, done

Lyraeus basically recruited me into the local Armada community last month. I showed up at my local game shop on an X-Wing night (because I was already playing that) and ended up watching him play Armada. Within a week I had the core set. A week later I was buying some additional ships.

If you play it they will come.

In the Why am I getting so angry about the lack of wave 3 news thread Extropia posted that his Armada-playing community has withered. Back in October he reported that in his 'bit of the UK' he had about 20 players.

In mine, it seems healthier than ever. Tournaments are drawing more people (except when they're on a Friday evening, when we don't even have the stamina to go a third round) and the people are enthusiastic. We also unveiled a web portal to help people join the community of Armada/X-Wing/Imperial Assault players, called Concentrated Firepower, which will hopefully bear some fruits when the FLGSs get some signs posted.

So, I'm interested in how your communities are faring. Did Sullust provide a boost? Are the Store Championships bringing people out? Did the Imperial-class Star Destroyer make people want to jump in, or do you feel that there are reasons that the wellspring of enthusiasm dried up?

I live on the opposite end of town from MH, out in the suburbs. We have a dedicated group of 4 players (including me) who come out to the bimonthly league night at our FLGS. I was the only one from the league who went to the Sullust event there (MH showed up and took first). The interesting thing is that each of the 4 of us got into the game on our own and just decided to show up to the league nights. I was the only one who had been going to the store's X-wing nights; otherwise there wasn't any crossover. I think it was just luck that all of us started showing up. We've had a few other people show up once or twice and a friend of mine has started playing but he lives an hour away so I don't know how often he can come. Long story short, I'm liking my community although I think we got lucky. 

I personally love this game but unfortunately the community here has not embraced it as well as I have.  My brother-in-law got me into this game because he wanted more people to play it.  He and friend started playing together and thought I would be nice addition since they are terrorist lovers(rebels players) and I really love the Empire.  After the Sullust tournament his friend dropped the game entirely and a few that played in the tournament just stopped playing.  The community is basically just me and my brother-in-law.  I wish there were more people in my area. 

[...]

So, I'm interested in how your communities are faring. Did Sullust provide a boost? Are the Store Championships bringing people out? Did the Imperial-class Star Destroyer make people want to jump in, or do you feel that there are reasons that the wellspring of enthusiasm dried up?

I live on the opposite end of town from MH, out in the suburbs. We have a dedicated group of 4 players (including me) who come out to the bimonthly league night at our FLGS. I was the only one from the league who went to the Sullust event there (MH showed up and took first). The interesting thing is that each of the 4 of us got into the game on our own and just decided to show up to the league nights. I was the only one who had been going to the store's X-wing nights; otherwise there wasn't any crossover. I think it was just luck that all of us started showing up. We've had a few other people show up once or twice and a friend of mine has started playing but he lives an hour away so I don't know how often he can come. Long story short, I'm liking my community although I think we got lucky. 

I was really on a roll that weekend. I've not been as dominant since then, unfortunately.

I heard you came out to the Portland Game Store and got a game in with Lyraeus last week.

How is the Rainy Day league going these days? Is it still the four of you? I see Rainy Day ordered a Store Championship kit for X-Wing, but will not be doing such an event for Armada. :(

+1 for Stasy's post.

I'd like to add that yes, I agree there are many combinations, but few optimal combinations.

What I'd really like from wave 3 (apart from more plastic crack or "Prack" ©) is some creativity with the mechanics to breathe life into existing hulls.

There are tons of clever things that can be done via upgrade cards to provide variety and flexibility without having a glut of "just slightly different" hulls!

Imagine an upgrade card that allowed you to change your anti-squadron to red dice, or one that allowed you to discard an evade token for a brace (raider..) or one that allowed you to permanently add 1 speed at the cost of hull points (Victory?)

There is also room for multi-faction capable ships like the dreadnaught, which could be exciting.

I've been very excited to hear news of wave 3 and check in every day, lets just say I've been doing A LOT OF PAINTING to stave off my Prack cravings

[...]

I was really on a roll that weekend. I've not been as dominant since then, unfortunately.

I heard you came out to the Portland Game Store and got a game in with Lyraeus last week.

How is the Rainy Day league going these days? Is it still the four of you? I see Rainy Day ordered a Store Championship kit for X-Wing, but will not be doing such an event for Armada. :(

Sadly no Aramada store championship at Rainy Day. I wish there was. I'll be at the Guardian Games one later this month. The league is fun and I've actually been the one showing up the least this past season; I've had a lot going on but tomorrow is the first of the winter season and I'll be able to make it to most of the game nights. Brian (who won the fall season), Jordan, and Frances are all fun to play with and though it can get heated at times we all get along great.

And yup, Lyraeus and I had a skirmish last week. He wiped the floor with me but that's how I learn. All in all I like the community though it's always nice to have more people.

Edit: sorry Jordan, I forgot you were also at Sullust :)

Edited by Iskander4000

My community I would saying was DOA. I am in the Binghamton, NY area about an hour away from Stasy. I have one other person who plays regularly on Tuesday nights. We had a third, who got me into the game, but it seams he has shifted into another game. I haven't decided what I'm going to be demoing at my FLGS for TableTop Day, but I am strongly considering doing a big Armada push. For me to get to a Store Championship is a 2 hour drive and probably a Regional Championship is not going to happen. I am thinking about taking over promoting and leading the Armada push, I do that for another game and not really sure if I could do it for two games.

I was wondering if anything happens across the NY state line. I followed Jupiter Games on FB, and planned to attend one of their Armada days but we got snow that weekend and couldn't justify getting stuck out of town.

It'd be easier going NB on 81 for free than my typical 1-2hr SB on the Turnpike for whatever the state is bending me over for.

Seems pretty solid here (Newcastle Australia - Yes that's Australia FFG that you didn't even send ONE Sullust kit too - find a globe and turn it upside down - we are still here!!!!). I think they are hoping to get 20+ players for our store championship next week.

Pittsburgh PA is going strong enough.  We've got one store (Drawbridge Games in Castle Shannon) that has turned into the local hub of Armada, pretty much because a core of 3 of us began playing there pretty much every week, and managed to grow the game just by suggesting it to anyone that stopped to watch us play or joined the Facebook group.  Our Facebook page for scheduling games manages to get people from all over the local area as well.

There are two other stores in the area (Mr Nice Guys - Monroeville and one way up in Cranberry) that are trying to get more regular Armada games up and running, but are still slightly crowded out by X-Wing being the game of choice by the locals.  And another (Phantom of the Attic - Greentree) that has a store kit at least, but needed the crew from Mr Nice Guys to pop out to run their store champ - they don't usually have any play there as far as I am aware.

Seems pretty solid here (Newcastle Australia - Yes that's Australia FFG that you didn't even send ONE Sullust kit too - find a globe and turn it upside down - we are still here!!!!). I think they are hoping to get 20+ players for our store championship next week.

In Melbourne there are a lot of casual players but 4 is the average that turn up at a tournament 6 is a good showing :(

one store had there store champs 3 weeks ago I made top 4 just by showing up :D it was the first so far sunday there is another one I cant make it but I hope they get better numbers.

its a big X wig scene down here and not a lot of the completive players want to take up Armada. maybe when more waves come out it will change things

In Romania we have about 6-8 players for tournaments. What worries me is that most were Imperial players in wave1 (collecting only one side), and most haven't been ecstatic about wave2. ISD has replaced the VSD, Raider feels like a dud. They feel like only 2 out of 4 ships are worth picking right now for Imps.

A wave3 announcement would certainly help. I'm also curious what the turnout will be for our next tournament, usually a tournament prompts players to start practicing.