Sign in to follow this  
mwellinger

very new player question about organizing cards for storage..

I literally just barely started playing, I don't even know if I am playing the game properly or not, I am going to go to a local store that hosts game sessions on thursdays and learn how to play there.  Im pretty excited for that and I guess I could just ask them there but I would like to condense the container I keep my stuff in.  I have 2 core sets, rebel and imperial aces, millenium falcon, slave-1, Hounds tooth, and am waiting on most wanted.  I kind of supply everything for when I play with my friends.  My question is about the cards. I would think any upgrade can go to any ship as long as the icon is on the pilot card, however, do the upgrades that come with certain expansions have to be used on those ships?  Can I mix all of my upgrade cards from every set into one pile and have it be ok or should I keep them seperated by expansion?  I know it sounds really stupid and pretty much common sense I believe they can be used on whatever ship can accept them.  I just don't want to mix stuff if it shouldn't be mixed but I don't want a bunch of different bags of cards, I would like to be able to have just one pile of each type of card for storage and transportation reasons.  Thanks in advance for answering this dumb question lol.

I think the best way to store cards would be in the kind of binders that card collectors use.

You can easily overview and find whatever card you need without mixing them together or searching through a deck/decks to find them.

And you wont be bending, stressing, using, fingering cards needlessly!

It takes up more space to have them in a binder then have then piled up in a carrying case but I think its worth it, especially if your serious about going to tournaments and such.

Im only a casual player but im still thinking about getting binders for XW and Armada to hold the cards.

Currently I have all my cards sorted in upgrade type and ship type and sleeved. They are piled together and a weak small rubberband around them keeps them piled up. But Im looking for a more elegant way to store them :)

Edited by Soulless

I sort pilots by faction (empire, Rebellion, scum) and then by ship type. I even go so far as to order them by pilot skill in ascending order. This helps when list building but its more about being slightly OCD :)

For upgrade cards, I order them by type, using the icon in the bottom left corner (elite pilot talent, munition etc). Sometimes I then put them in ascending point value order, but it takes some patience to do the sub categorical sorting and is totally not necessary. Again, a bit OCD.

I literally just barely started playing, I don't even know if I am playing the game properly or not, I am going to go to a local store that hosts game sessions on thursdays and learn how to play there.  Im pretty excited for that and I guess I could just ask them there but I would like to condense the container I keep my stuff in.  I have 2 core sets, rebel and imperial aces, millenium falcon, slave-1, Hounds tooth, and am waiting on most wanted.  I kind of supply everything for when I play with my friends.  My question is about the cards. I would think any upgrade can go to any ship as long as the icon is on the pilot card, however, do the upgrades that come with certain expansions have to be used on those ships?  Can I mix all of my upgrade cards from every set into one pile and have it be ok or should I keep them seperated by expansion?  I know it sounds really stupid and pretty much common sense I believe they can be used on whatever ship can accept them.  I just don't want to mix stuff if it shouldn't be mixed but I don't want a bunch of different bags of cards, I would like to be able to have just one pile of each type of card for storage and transportation reasons.  Thanks in advance for answering this dumb question lol.

Any restrictions on who and what can equip which upgrade card are listed on the cards themselves.  For instance, some cards (Ruthlessness, Bodyguard, Bossk crew) are faction specific, whilst other (Andrasta, Slave 1 and BTLA4 Y Wing titles) as ship-specific but can be equipped on any faction that has that ship type.  Some are Limited, which means you can have as many in a list as you have ships, but only one per ship, whilst others are Unique (they have a dot symbol before the name) which means only one card with that name (pilot or upgrade) can be in a given list.  Organising them by restrictions is a lot of work as a result, so most people I know of organise their cards alphabetically by slot.

Ultra Pro make various premade folders and folder pages to put in normal ring binders for ship cards, and have just released a set of binder pages for upgrades though they've not arrived in the UK yet, that's my personal preferred storage solution for x-wing cards.

Within my pilots binder everything is organised by faction, and I've modified a binder page to hold my active tournament lists as well.

Edited by thespaceinvader

You do not have to use upgrades on the ship they came with, unless the card itself says otherwise.

http://www.ultimateguard.com/en/binders-folders/zipfolio/mini-american-zipfolio.html- those are amazing for storing and sorting upgrade cards. You can find them in various online stores or ask your FLGS to special order them for you through their distributor.

I like having one pile (or let's call it a deck) of each card type. I don't organize them any more than that, because it's just not a big time-saver to keep them organized. I build my squads using apps, and then I quickly look through my decks for the handful of cards that I need. Takes no more time than pulling cards from a binder, and I don't have to do all that binder page management every time I get new cards. Just sleeve them and add them to the decks they belong in.

I like having one pile (or let's call it a deck) of each card type. I don't organize them any more than that, because it's just not a big time-saver to keep them organized. I build my squads using apps, and then I quickly look through my decks for the handful of cards that I need. Takes no more time than pulling cards from a binder, and I don't have to do all that binder page management every time I get new cards. Just sleeve them and add them to the decks they belong in.

But binder page management is all part of the fun!!! Though, as admitted to be Davydavedave, I may be a little OCD when it comes to gaming storage solutions...

BINDER 1.5-2 inches, zipper recommended.  9 pocket for pilot.  12 pocket for upgrades (you can buy on Miniature Market online.  Ultra pro brand).  

Ships:  White top red double layer plano toolbox.  Best out there.  Yellow Stanley for large models.  

Yep, pretty much exactly what everyone else has said. But to answer your specific questions... 

1. My question is about the cards. I would think any upgrade can go to any ship as long as the icon is on the pilot card, however,

2. do the upgrades that come with certain expansions have to be used on those ships?

3. Can I mix all of my upgrade cards from every set into one pile and have it be ok or should I keep them seperated by expansion? 

1. You are correct. Any upgrade can go on any ship as long as the pilot card has that upgrade icon (and assuming the upgrade card itself isnt prohibitive, i.e. TIE Fighter Only

2. No they dont have to be used on those ships. There are some upgrades in the later expansions that really work best with a ship other than the one it came with.

3. You absolutely can mix them, but as people said above, it will save you time and sanity if you at least organize them. Everyone has their own way of keeping everything sorted. When I began, I split up all the upgrade types, and shoved them in some of the little baggies that they are packaged in with the expansions. When my collection began to outgrow the bags, I started using some of the custom foam trays to hold everything, but now I too use the top load divided pages that Velvetelvis uses for my upgrade cards, and I use a 4-deck box to hold all my ship cards, which are separated by Faction, and then ordered by ship cost. 

Long story short? You can do whatever you want with your cards, just as long as its a system that works for you.  ;)

I sort pilots by faction (empire, Rebellion, scum) and then by ship type. I even go so far as to order them by pilot skill in ascending order. This helps when list building but its more about being slightly OCD :)

For upgrade cards, I order them by type, using the icon in the bottom left corner (elite pilot talent, munition etc). Sometimes I then put them in ascending point value order, but it takes some patience to do the sub categorical sorting and is totally not necessary. Again, a bit OCD.

If you are a little ocd I am doomed. Upgrade cards go type》cost》alphabetical. I then put the stack in the outer layer of a ship inner to keep em in order in my case. Ships I do simmilar to yourself.

Edit: spellchecker shenanigans

Edited by Vixen Icaza

Pro matte sleeves are OK, a little bit less glare. But the little hologram at the bottom covers up whatever is first on the upgrade bar...but I still like them.

See if your FLGS sells Hyper Matte sleeves. I find them to be a bit better than the Pro Matte sleeves (in terms of feel) and they don't have that annoying shiny dot that covers up the bottom corner. (Which is odd because that's where important info is on Magic, Yugioh and X-Wing cards are!!)

I picked up the clear hyper matte sleeves so I can see the back of each card, it helps me to quickly organize upgrades by type and pilots by faction.

For the damage and upgrade cards I picked up clear Ultra Pro mini-American game card sleeves. They are nice and semi-rigid (a bit sharp in the corners). Unfortunately its a hit or miss, some of the sleeves are a bit wider so if you have OCD this could bother you. I opened a pack that was misaligned so those were useless. It's a bit of a gamble. 

Edited by Junjie

mayday 100 count american mini sleeves are the best.  literally. 

better than ultra pro, better than the durable high quality of any brand, and better than FFG brand

the "reduced" quality of the sleeves actually makes them better for xwing:  they fit much more snug after a few days of static shrinkage, they more malleable, so they fit into pocket pages much easier. and theyre smooth and soft to the touch.  they dont need to be particularly durable except for maybe damage cards.  as they dont get shuffled or moved around much at all.