Sign in to follow this  
Kotuhi

Working on a Star Wars Jedi campaign, need some advice.

So I'm working on a new Star Wars Campaign, the basic premise of it is this. All of the players will all start out as Jedi Younglings and do things from learning how to use the force to finding and building their first lightsaber. Eventually they will progress to Padawans and then Jedi Knights.

That's the only part I'm 100% certain on yet. I'm still trying to decide when to set this. Before movies, if so how long before. After movies, if so how long. During the movies? Any advice/ opinions on this would be awesome.

I'm also not 100% sure just yet which system I want to use for this, I'm not too familiar with most of the SW rps out there and I know there are a few. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

I think that's most of it, I guess also if you have any cool things to share about Jedi training/ anything in that vein that would be cool too. So that's it, if you have anything to share please do!!

I agreem i'd also suggest the beginner game and the downloadable adventure as thye have a very nice jedi temple to use as base if needed. As for the era you can do that at the end of clone wars early dark times, or more believabley during either the SWTOR timeline or the KOTOR timeline, especially kotor 2 to keep the flavour or uncommon jedi around. 

Another era that you can think about using is the Ancient Era which is 37,000-24,000 BBY. All of the major events occur within the Tython System in the Deep Core and the Je'daii Order is in power. The rest of the galaxy is enslaved by the Rakata and they eventually show up on Tython to seize the Hyperjump Gate built by the Mwa. The Rakata are at their prime and use force sabers for weapons. The Je'daii adapt them to use, but the problem is that force sabers feed off of anger and the dark side to function. The Je'daii believed in the tenets of balance between the light and dark side of the force to maintain the force balance on Tython. At the end of the war with the Rakata is when the Je'daii Order dissolved into the Jedi which forsook the dark side and using force sabers. The other group became Dark Siders that fled to Korriban and eventually became the Sith. The Jedi fled to Ossus because Tython's force storms ended up laying waste to the entire planet and left it uninhabitable for all life.

I would jump ahead from Younglings, to Padwans.. .close to finishing their training.  I mean... really how much "adventure" can some scrappy pre-teens get into... and what teacher would want to have them having adventures.

At least as Padwans they can be sent by their master/masters out on low priority missions, recovering and disposing of artifacts and lore.

Best luck I've had with the not fully fledged Jedi ideas are as follows:

-Pick a time where the Jedi Order is very weak, and assign all the players to one master. Then get him in trouble, and when all the other masters are preoccupied with politics and the Sith, they're kinda lost in the wash and strike out on their own.

-Start a story arc in media res with them being separated from their master due to treachery of some kind, with no time to go find him. Instead, they must push forward.

-Take a page from the Knights of the Old Republic comics [spoilerS] and have their masters try to kill them due to a misunderstood prophecy. [/spoilerS]

Note that their master is always absent in some way. Otherwise, the master(s) often outshine the players, who get no initiative of their own to do cool stuff. When you somehow get the players out on their own, it gives them the spotlight, where orders from their master to go do some menial thing is never fun... None of these ideas work with younglings, mind you, so take these as suggestions for later in your game.

I mean... really how much "adventure" can some scrappy pre-teens get into... and what teacher would want to have them having adventures.

I was gonna just make a Harry Potter crack, but really, there's an entire Young Adult section in the library literally filled with books about the adventures that scrappy pre-teens (and teens) get into.

I would set it sometime before Phantom Menace, as they grow in the shadow of the Chosen One, up to the clone Wars.

There could also be sessions classified "session 0", creating the background for their adventures post Order 66, as Knights to be.