Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

LotR LCG Overhaul 0.01

Pretty long time ago, I started my work on this lil' ol' project of mine with the aim to "bring balance" to the old card pool. I started going through released official stuff, starting from the core, and reworking what I deemed to be either "overpowered", "underpowred", or "outdated".

Right now, I have reached I certain point in development when I have enough done to start testing it, and I'll be performing some test on my own. I invite you to take a look at cards, maybe even play with them (they're in an OCTGN set), and gimme your thought. Any input is welcome.

Set link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n46fqr5rmh5qu7u/LotR%20LCG%20Rework%200.01.rar?dl=0

I would also appreciate:

-If you know of a more fitting art for a certain card (or you possess an original art of that card that I failed to find), hit me up!

-If you think that I have missed some card you think totally needs rework, tell me!

I like pretty much all the personal "errata" you've done. Maybe when *eventually* the game is abandonned by FFG, some sort of community errata should be edited. Again, it may be hard to come to an agreement if everyone is voicing out is own errata (unless some sort of "player's comittee" is done along the way, just as it was done for Star Wars CCG for instance). But, I appreciate the effort, that's quite a bit of work and thought, so kudos to you.

By the way, you should really, really stop the "I don't know My Neighbour Trololo" thing. You're a fine fellow as John Constantine as you are on BGG as TrueLolzor so no need to hide somewhat.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1325221/here-some-ents-your-troubles= https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/99847-creative-artwork-cards/page-19

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1517019/lotr-lcg-overhaul-001= this very thread ;)

Your Cthulhu global conversion is very interesting too. I so wish FFG would come with a card-based Cthulhu solo game (I have all Arkham Horror and man, that game).

Well, it goes far beyond personal errata if you'll ask me, some cards are plainly something different now as they were too abominable in their original state (like Taking Initiative, for example). And to go further, it takes into account a lot of currently existing and being released stuff, also utilizing newcoming mechanics, such as Doomed, Valour, Secrecy, etc.

I like pretty much all the personal "errata" you've done. Maybe when *eventually* the game is abandonned by FFG, some sort of community errata should be edited. Again, it may be hard to come to an agreement if everyone is voicing out is own errata (unless some sort of "player's comittee" is done along the way, just as it was done for Star Wars CCG for instance). But, I appreciate the effort, that's quite a bit of work and thought, so kudos to you.

By the way, you should really, really stop the "I don't know My Neighbour Trololo" thing. You're a fine fellow as John Constantine as you are on BGG as TrueLolzor so no need to hide somewhat.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1325221/here-some-ents-your-troubles= https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/99847-creative-artwork-cards/page-19

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1517019/lotr-lcg-overhaul-001= this very thread ;)

Your Cthulhu global conversion is very interesting too. I so wish FFG would come with a card-based Cthulhu solo game (I have all Arkham Horror and man, that game).

Lol, after seeing the original post I was just going to check to see if this thread's BGG equivalent was by TrueLolzor! Edited by Ecthelion III

I invite you to take a look at cards, maybe even play with them (they're in an OCTGN set), and gimme your thought. Any input is welcome.

Having errata'ed/house-ruled quite some "OP"(or UP) cards in our group myself, I like the initiative. Especially as you went into more than simple cost tweaking :)

A big chunk of the cards are great (playable again, but balanced); some are abit OP now; some I disagree with the flavor - oh, and some still have typos. 

Do you care for a Wall of Text to go into detail or rather be happy with such a broad stroke of the brush ?

What's the point of the wording change you are proposing to Steward of Gondor? I get you changed attaching it to Gondor/Dunedain, though all the wording change does is that you can't get two resources back the same turn you play it, other than that you can play it turn one and it does the same as before. Doesn't seem like much of a change mechanically, might be a bit of a buff for Gondor/Dunedain?

Edited by Davachido

Davachido, do you think that new Steward of Gondor triggers itself during the resource phase? Because it doesn't. You'll actually need some other effect to add a resource somewhere for it to trigger it's response.

Edheliad, Fair and Perilous was just a text position fix, nothing in the card have changed, and I used some art I've just had under my hands at the moment, you can completely ignore Fair and Perilous here. What other art choices do you consider strange?

Unless I'm mistaken passive effects on cards are still card effects aren't they? So in my eyes the response can trigger off the passive effect as it's a card effect adding resources to your pool. Unless collect and add somehow don't mean the same thing when it comes to card effects but I can't remember any precedence set by any other card at the moment.

But that's not how it mechanicly works. It was made clear by the developers that collecting additional resources and adding those resources are different things during the exploration of the Harbor Master's ability. Steward of Gondor triggers only when card effect reads "add".

Adding is placing a resource from the bank to a character as stated in the FAQ. The Harbor master clarification was between moving and adding, moving isn't adding was all I got from that clarification. I have seen discussion elsewhere on if resourceful works with harbor master as that is also collecting. 

Though I guess it doesn't matter much as your intention is for it not to work with collecting, as this card and harbor master are the only two cards that work like that anyway.

On a minor note Firefoot refers to Arod, I'm guessing that is just a minor copypasta error. I like most of the rest of the cards, rather cool ideas.

Also is keen eyed took meant to stack? +15 engagement cost on engaged monster would make it quite a mainstay for any deck relying on being lower threat then the enemies for their abilities.

Edited by Davachido

I guess I had myself fooled, after closely studying the FAQ I found no clear distinction between collecting and adding, so I'll implement a little change into the Steward by making it triggering exclusively from other heroes getting a resource added to them, excluding the attached one. 

And thanks for the typo, I'll add the fix to my ever growing "Pending" card folder :D