Sign in to follow this  
mrstarwars00

Healing Factor

Hello world

I've played D&D in the past, but never a Star Wars RPG. My friend is trying to get some of us to play EotE. He and I have RPG experience, but the other three (two and a half?) do not.

I've been going over the EotE book, and looking at stuff here, and I want to create a Firrerreo character. Since the Firrerreo went almost entirely extinct in 4 BBY, no one has bothered to create species details for them (at least from what I've found).

In trying to come up with stats and details on my own, I'm struggling to figure out how to incorporate their unusual healing abilities. I don't know the rules and mechanics all that well, so, hazarding a guess, I was thinking either a high wound threshold, or the "wound number" dropping over time. The wound threshold is essentially HP, right? So do your wounds naturally heal over time anyway? I haven't gotten through the entire 400+ page book, unfortunately.

The Firrerreo page on wookieepedia details their physical attributes. I'm having trouble pasting the link from my phone, for some reason.

Thanks for any advice, we've all been noobs at one point or another :D

'Natural' healing of Wounds taken occurs after each day of rest (1/Day) and healing of a Critical can be achieved through a successful Resilience check at the end of a week.

For a 'healing factor' I would consider that the species would start with 1 Rank in Resilience skill at character generation (which is used against Critical 'Severity' aka Difficulty) and in-game possibly double the healing ability: Allow a second Resilience check at the end of the week instead of just the one, and an additional Wound removed for a day's rest as well (2/Day). I don't think Strain should heal any faster being fatigue (both physical and mental) in nature.

TBH, I'm not too familiar with the Firrerreo and how pokey their healing factor is... But hopefully this will help.

You know, if you're new to a system, or role-playing in general, it's a much better idea to play something that's balanced and playtested in the rules as they stand, rather than start making new species.

Try getting one of the excellent beginner sets and play the pregenerated characters there, then graduate to making official characters, before adding new races, powers and the like.

Edited by Maelora

'Natural' healing of Wounds taken occurs after each day of rest (1/Day) and healing of a Critical can be achieved through a successful Resilience check at the end of a week.

For a 'healing factor' I would consider that the species would start with 1 Rank in Resilience skill at character generation (which is used against Critical 'Severity' aka Difficulty) and in-game possibly double the healing ability: Allow a second Resilience check at the end of the week instead of just the one, and an additional Wound removed for a day's rest as well (2/Day). I don't think Strain should heal any faster being fatigue (both physical and mental) in nature.

TBH, I'm not too familiar with the Firrerreo and how pokey their healing factor is... But hopefully this will help.

I'm off to work, so I can't check my book, but isn't the "once a week rule" for healing? I don't recall folks making a Resilience check for crits.

As far as the OP, I have to agree with Maelora.. don't try to start modding a system you haven't played. Modding this system is hella fun and at times necessary, in my opinion, but it also can quickly throw balance askew if you don't know what you're doing.

You know, if you're new to a system, or role-playing in general, it's a much better idea to play something that's balanced and playtested in the rules as they stand, rather than start making new species.

Try getting one of the excellent beginner sets and play the pregenerated characters there, then graduate to making official characters, before adding new races, powers and the like.

If you've never played before it will serve you much better to make a character from the book and play it for several sessions at least until you get a grip on the game.

I played D&D for a while before EotE too, and EotE takes some getting used to if your only experience is a rule heavy game like D&D.

I'm off to work, so I can't check my book, but isn't the "once a week rule" for healing? I don't recall folks making a Resilience check for crits.

As far as the OP, I have to agree with Maelora.. don't try to start modding a system you haven't played. Modding this system is hella fun and at times necessary, in my opinion, but it also can quickly throw balance askew if you don't know what you're doing.

"In trying to come up with stats and details on my own, I'm struggling to figure out how to incorporate their unusual healing abilities." Uhh yeah, healing...

Look at the Trandoshan regeneration ability. I would use that as a basis, at least.

Not wanting to neglect the OP's original request. Though I really recommend just playing a character from the books..

I would say this. Use Trandoshan healing as a base. Maybe bump their Brawn to 3, to reflect how freaky strong these guys could be and they start with a free point of resilience. Base human stats otherwise.

As far as starting exp... As I have written right now, getting the Brawn boost, without a decrease in another stat, is pretty powerful. I'd say 85 exp starting..

I am also firmly in the "use what's currently in the book" camp.  My most experienced players may still only use races straight out of an FFG book with stats. 

I would encourage you to play a Trandoshan, they regenerate, also they look awesome.

Edited by CrunchyDemon