Sign in to follow this  
Okapi

Talonbane Cobra builds

I've run him for about 20 games now with Lightning Reflexes and Inertial Dampeners, for the grand total of 30 points.

His "wingman" has been N'dru Suhlak with Veteran Instincts, Homing Missiles and Glitterstim, for 25 points. Guidance Chimps will get a spot in the mod-slot when they become available.

This gives my opponent a choice - go after the flanking Z-95 Ace with the pocket howitzer, or after Talonbane. Whichever choice is made, that target turns into debris pretty fast, but the other one settles in to munch pretty hard on the rump of the opposition force.

If Talonbane can survive into the knife fight, lightning reflexes and inertial dampeners combine well with the white 1-turns, and usually he can dish out well more than his own points in pain before evaporating under stress tokens and grumpy enemy fire.

The problem is getting him into the knife fight, as his pilot ability only works against primary weapons, and he crashes pretty hard against TLT and HLC.

In my experience he's best used as an alpha strike. Glitterstim and crackshot is about all he needs. He's ps9 so you'll know when you've lined up a range one shot, take a TL, pop the stims and light someone up. If you get another shot or two of lf your golden.

He's too squishy and unmanoueverable to try and build up into a super ace.

Crackshot and Glitterstim is all I give him. One turn of serious pain, and still good after.

I've run him for about 20 games now with Lightning Reflexes and Inertial Dampeners, for the grand total of 30 points.

His "wingman" has been N'dru Suhlak with Veteran Instincts, Homing Missiles and Glitterstim, for 25 points. Guidance Chimps will get a spot in the mod-slot when they become available.

This gives my opponent a choice - go after the flanking Z-95 Ace with the pocket howitzer, or after Talonbane. Whichever choice is made, that target turns into debris pretty fast, but the other one settles in to munch pretty hard on the rump of the opposition force.

If Talonbane can survive into the knife fight, lightning reflexes and inertial dampeners combine well with the white 1-turns, and usually he can dish out well more than his own points in pain before evaporating under stress tokens and grumpy enemy fire.

The problem is getting him into the knife fight, as his pilot ability only works against primary weapons, and he crashes pretty hard against TLT and HLC.

Similar list to mine, my filler is three bugzappers (feedback Z-95s).

I have used him successfully with stealth device and PTL. I run him in a squad with Kavil with TLT, a TLT thug and a Binayre Pirate for blocking and disrupting. So far I'm 4-1. At range 3, he gets 5 greens and at range 1 he shoots 5. He's a bit of a challenge to keep at this with certain lists. But if the rest of the squad do their job, he may die having caused enough damage for the TLT's to clean up.

I have used him successfully with stealth device and PTL. I run him in a squad with Kavil with TLT, a TLT thug and a Binayre Pirate for blocking and disrupting. So far I'm 4-1. At range 3, he gets 5 greens and at range 1 he shoots 5. He's a bit of a challenge to keep at this with certain lists. But if the rest of the squad do their job, he may die having caused enough damage for the TLT's to clean up.

4 green dice at range 3, unless there is an obstacle of course.

Or 6 if cloaked... probably an evade token too.

Expose+Experimental Interface+Focus=

No Return Fire.

Glitterstim on K turn.

(6 red,Focus backup at Range 1).

Teamed with Kavil w/ Auto blaster turret+ Expose.

(5 red out of arch 360)

Add Laetin Syck with HLC. Def. With Stealh Devise and free Evade on good greens.

Glass Cannons but seem to work ok.

Edited by Croste

Stealth Device gives him 3, Pilot Ability is +2 at Range 3 so 5 is correct.

I like the Stealth idea, Cloaking Device will be fun too.

Doesnt Stealth Device grant an additional dice?

I find he's very good if you pair him with a cheap blocker:

31 Talonbane w/ Crackshot, Glitterstim.

14 Banana w/ Feedback.

The blocker helps talonbane get off his lovely 5 die TL + focused alpha-strike, and also contributes to the damage via feedback. You can quite easily knock an IG88 down to 2HP in one round of shooting with this build. Add in 2x TLT + R4 Thugs to make your opponent sad-face.

Stealth is quite a good one. It means he's not going to get picked off at range 3 - which is what can happen to an X-wing with concentrated fire. Next turn he's in everyone's face....fires....and generally gets murdered the following turn.

Agree on keeping him cheap. He's like N'Dru Sulhak - essentially a kamikaze who can punch above his weight. The trick is having someone who can finish matters off after he goes down.

With the increase in Vader and Omega Leader, the idea of Expert Handling is growing on me for Cobra.

However, I feel that Cloaking Device may be the upgrade he needs to ensure he has the mobility he needs to get into that range 1 death zone.

With the increase in Vader and Omega Leader, the idea of Expert Handling is growing on me for Cobra.

However, I feel that Cloaking Device may be the upgrade he needs to ensure he has the mobility he needs to get into that range 1 death zone.

Luckily, the two don't conflict.

I'm thinking Cloaking Device/Engine Upgrade/VI could be quite potent, do a short move turn 1, cloak, stay cloaked (if you can) whilst moving into range 3, TL, take at least 6 dice in defence, then decloak, move into range 1, boost if necessary, focus if not, shoot first, kill, explode.

The cloaking device breaking justs wrecks this though.  I really wish they had just made it single-use, cloak once, decloak once, discard.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Luckily, the two don't conflict.

I'm thinking Cloaking Device/Engine Upgrade/VI could be quite potent, do a short move turn 1, cloak, stay cloaked (if you can) whilst moving into range 3, TL, take at least 6 dice in defence, then decloak, move into range 1, boost if necessary, focus if not, shoot first, kill, explode.

The cloaking device breaking justs wrecks this though.  I really wish they had just made it single-use, cloak once, decloak once, discard.

Tomorrow I will try:

Cobra w/ Expert Handling

Kavil w/ VI, TLT, Unhinged Astromech and Flechette Torps

3 x Binayre Pirates.

The thinking is that Kavil is a very solid TLT platform and the Flechette can stress any PtL interceptors that need to die. The pirates can block and/or add the weight of fire needed to bring down large ships and be a general annoyance. Cobra picks an ace and goes hunting. If he takes it down, great. If not, then well that is a lose for me.

Expert Handling should hopefully bait a Omega TL and stop that annoying ability, will also counter any FCS Corran / PtL Dash combo going on as well as potentially stopping any ATC advanced. The fact I get to barrel roll as well is just a brucey bonus.

Once Wave 8 is out, I'm interested in giving the following list a try.  I'm hoping it'll be hard to pick which target to shoot at first... :)  Two ships that can throw out 5 red dice each at Range 1, Kavil's boosted Autoblaster, and everyone's at PS 9.

Kavil (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Talonbane Cobra (28)
Predator (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Zuckuss (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
4-LOM (1)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Total: 99

Edited by Jarval

Oh I forgot that for insurance I added "Hot Shot Blaster", which protects its 6 o'clock. I use this as I try to position my self to get in as close as possible or when retreating. By the way, I am now 6-2 with this list. It's a lot of fun though.

Using COOOOOOBBBRRRAAAAAAAA!  (sorry, couldn't help myself) as an alpha strike only is a pretty expensive alpha strike.  While he is not very maneuverable, he can act as a flanker for you.  If your opponents go after him first, light them up with the rest of your list.  If they ignore him, position COOOOOOBBBRRRAAAAAA! in a way that constantly pits your opponent in choosing between two unfavorable moves. 

I see this ship's role as control via threat.  Don't want your opponent to go a certain direction?  Place the snake there and dare them to joust or move away and be struck by the rest of your list.

This is how I view him, as well. I'm by no means a sports guy but think of TC as the clean up hitter in a baseball line up. You TLT'S are up in their face hammering away and ol' TC is lurking back waiting to pounce.

Perhaps when the JM5K drops he can pair with Dengar as a sort of scum version of Deci/whisper?